HEAD-DIRECT EF-5 Headphone amplifier
May 13, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #196 of 298
Just thought I'd share this interesting ebay find with everyone. This is a Heathkit TR-1119 "Solid-State 12AU7 Replacement", a transistorized 12AU7. Personally, I've never seen one before and placed a bet on it out of curiosity and ending up winning it.

Next to my favorite Amperex Bugle Boy 12AU7

In the EF5 it barely stick up over the top of the plexiglass window.

Pretty cool, basically turns the EF5 into a fully SS amp. I'm no audiophile but the sound the very close to the RCA cleartop but a bit more neutral with less of the treble emphasis that the RCA tube has. Not really my cup of tea as I enjoy the individual quirks that tube rolling has to offer, this takes all that away and give you a very transparent presentation.

May 13, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #197 of 298
How much was it? are there more available? link ?

I just bought an ef5 and id love to try this at some point... definately nice as a tube fail backup... maybe if you decide you dont want it you could sell it to me
biggrin.gif

also what is the proper name for this.. i want to google it but dont know what to call it.. tried many things , no luck yet

May 14, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #198 of 298
Just found a little more info on the Heathkit TR1119. There not much available on the net about them as they seem to be rare. I think your best bet to finding on is ebay.

It was originally part of an upgrade kit for a IM-18 Vacuum Tube Volt Meter, which used 2 tubes, a 12AU7 and a 6AL5. The upgrade kit contained transistorized versions of both tubes. 

From: http://www.electro-tech-online.com/repairing-consumer-electronics/90482-fix-my-vtvm-2.html

IMA-18-1 (almost same as IM-18)
* 6AL5 = TR1002 = #150-57 (solidstate counterpart )
* 12AU7 = TR1119 = #150-58 (solidstate counterpart )

More info and schematics here: http://www.heathkit.nu/heathkit_nu_IM-18.html

May 14, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #199 of 298
yeah i found the same stuff.. but no luck locating one of these.. how much did it cost you?

it sure would be neat to try, and yet, whats the fun of a tube amp with no tubes and tube rolling..

either way if you decide to sell it or lend it out, let me know.. im interested

May 14, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #200 of 298

It was about $19 bucks shipped. I'm actually interesting in doing a "pass around" to let other's with better ears and better writing ability review it. I'll let you know the details!

May 14, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #201 of 298
sounds cool.  my ef5 is gonna ship in a couple days, and it looks like i somehow just bought myself some new headphones, so I'm ready when you are.

and if you happen on any more of these please do let us know

May 24, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #202 of 298
Got my EF-5 today! it was used and already burned in, which was a plus for me.   yipee!

it definitely softened up my ATH-W1000x compared to my decware zen head.  I wouldn't call one sound better than the other, but definitely a noticeable difference

the sharp attack on the all around sound sig of the cans has softened.  the upper bass/lower mids have expanded and loosened a bit.  
the low bass has definitely loosened a bit too.  the mids sound more.. .well.. tubey... fuller smoother.  some with the highs.. so everything sounds more tubey.. i guess that's what the tube is for :wink:

overall im very happy with the sound though this amp is probably a bit too much power for my 45ohm cans.  On low gain i don't ever get up to 9 o-clock.

This is the first amp i have ever owned with a tube.  definitely liking the tube sound-knew i would.  Can someone please tell me how to know what tubes are compatible with this amp?  How do i know which ones work by simply plugging them in vs. needing some kind of adapter and how would i know what adapter is needed?

thanks as always

May 25, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #203 of 298

Quote:
Got my EF-5 today! it was used and already burned in, which was a plus for me.   yipee!

it definitely softened up my ATH-W1000x compared to my decware zen head.  I wouldn't call one sound better than the other, but definitely a noticeable difference

the sharp attack on the all around sound sig of the cans has softened.  the upper bass/lower mids have expanded and loosened a bit.  
the low bass has definitely loosened a bit too.  the mids sound more.. .well.. tubey... fuller smoother.  some with the highs.. so everything sounds more tubey.. i guess that's what the tube is for :wink:

overall im very happy with the sound though this amp is probably a bit too much power for my 45ohm cans.  On low gain i don't ever get up to 9 o-clock.

This is the first amp i have ever owned with a tube.  definitely liking the tube sound-knew i would.  Can someone please tell me how to know what tubes are compatible with this amp?  How do i know which ones work by simply plugging them in vs. needing some kind of adapter and how would i know what adapter is needed?

thanks as always

I also wish the low gain was just a little bit lower - I have several nice DACs with variable output volume, so it's not a huge problem for me, but others might not be so lucky.

As for tubes, just stick with 12AU7 type tubes and you should be safe.

May 25, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #204 of 298
Ahoy you tube-rollers! (... not meant as a pun)

I want a cleaner top-end, more control and a less muffled sound.. In other words, I want it cleaner overall and more refined. (Gonna drive my LCD-2s in the future with this, given that accept the phones themselves..)

What upgrades do you recommend tube-rolling wise? Also, would swapping the OP-amp make a dramatic impact?

Thank you to anyone with experience that replies! :)

May 26, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #205 of 298

Quote:
Ahoy you tube-rollers! (... not meant as a pun)

I want a cleaner top-end, more control and a less muffled sound.. In other words, I want it cleaner overall and more refined. (Gonna drive my LCD-2s in the future with this, given that accept the phones themselves..)

What upgrades do you recommend tube-rolling wise? Also, would swapping the OP-amp make a dramatic impact?

Thank you to anyone with experience that replies! :)

What tube are you using now?

You can try a RCA clear top which has a very nice clear top end or Amperex Bugle Boy for lush mids.
I find that rolling the tube has a much more dramatic affect than rolling the op amp.

May 26, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #206 of 298
Yeah, it usually does. As I said, i don't want lush mids, but control :)

I'm running the stock tube, supposedly the RCA clear top? If that's the clearest there is, I'm off to amp shoppin once my LCD-2 arrive.

Of course I'll give it a try first :)

Jul 15, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #208 of 298

Quote:
Which one is better for Senn HD650 & AKG K702, EF5 or Little Dot MK IV SE? I also plan to get HE-5 headphones in the future.

Thanks.

Well my money would be on the EF-5, even more so since you are debated on purchasing the HE-5's in the future, the EF-5 has endless amounts of power, drives my K701's perfectly, kind of overkill as well lol... not with the HE-5LE's though... good luck

Also I recently purchased a tube on ebay, 12AU7 Mullard and I wondering if I got a good deal... the price is really good so I am excited, but I am not sure about the quality of the tube, maybe some of  you pro's coud help! but I will find out when they arrive!
biggrin.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130407127064&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

CIAO!

Jul 15, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #209 of 298

Quote:
Which one is better for Senn HD650 & AKG K702, EF5 or Little Dot MK IV SE? I also plan to get HE-5 headphones in the future.

Thanks.

I own an EF-5 and a Little Dot MK III.  The EF-5 is amazing with my AKG K501s (and Denon D2000s), but I actually like my LD MKIII better with my Sennheiser HD600s.  I think the higher impedance Sennheiser series is better suited with an OTL amp.  That being said, if I only owned the EF-5 and never heard the Little Dot, I would probably be happy (as opposed to the K501 and LD MKIII, which I don't like at all).

So, I would say get the EF-5 if you plan on purchasing the HE-5s, because it's one of the few amps that can power those correctly, will drive the K702s very well, and still do some justice to your HD650s. 

You can always get a secondary amplifier later strictly for the HD650.

My $0.02

Aug 3, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #210 of 298
Has anyone compared the EF5 to the millet max hybrid (black gates)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back