HEAD-DIRECT EF-5 Headphone amplifier
Jan 16, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #286 of 298
It's pretty similar to the 797 actually, just mo better. It also sounded quite nice with the RCA Clear top, but I don't have he Fullmusic tube to compare. I always thought the 797 was a little on the "lean side" I prefer the bass of 49990. This is very subjective so it's pretty hard to compare op-amps and tubes. I think 49990 is worth a shot for you, but I wouldn't bother with the other op-amps I've listed. Ad743jn has the most bass if you like that, but it's not as clear or "hi-fi" sounding as 797/49990. I already had the browndog adapters so i only had to buy the 49990's, cost me 15$ for 2 of them shipped(DigiKey).  I've seen them on ebay for 20$ for a pair soldered to an adapter, but it's ebay so who knows how legit it is. 

You can buy a pair, already soldered to an adapter @ browndog for 33.00 + shipping, which I think is a bit high, if you have the means to solder them yourself. 

Jan 16, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #287 of 298

Quote:
It's pretty similar to the 797 actually, just mo better. It also sounded quite nice with the RCA Clear top, but I don't have he Fullmusic tube to compare. I always thought the 797 was a little on the "lean side" I prefer the bass of 49990. This is very subjective so it's pretty hard to compare op-amps and tubes. I think 49990 is worth a shot for you, but I wouldn't bother with the other op-amps I've listed. Ad743jn has the most bass if you like that, but it's not as clear or "hi-fi" sounding as 797/49990. I already had the browndog adapters so i only had to buy the 49990's, cost me 15$ for 2 of them shipped(DigiKey).  I've seen them on ebay for 20$ for a pair soldered to an adapter, but it's ebay so who knows how legit it is. 

You can buy a pair, already soldered to an adapter @ browndog for 33.00 + shipping, which I think is a bit high, if you have the means to solder them yourself. 

Thanks a lot Mike.

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #290 of 298
Anyone ever own both the ef5 and the schiit lyr and can tell me which you've preferred? I am leaning towards the lyr as they say it matches up very well with the he500's; however, the ef5 is technically made for hifiman headphones and I can get a very good price on it.

Please be honest

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 3, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #291 of 298
Schitt is FOTM around here right now, so it might be hard to find an objective opinion. 

Feb 15, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #293 of 298
Sorry to bring back a one week old thread but i have a question for the owners of the ef-5. I'm currently running the e9+e17 combo from Fiio along with my DT990/600 and K702 and a few others. While i love this combination, my upgrade urges are kicking in. With that said, will upgrading the e9 amp to a ef-5 while retaining the DAC part of the e17 bring a noticeable difference?

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #294 of 298
yes, the ef5 will provide a big difference, it's superior to the e9 for sure

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 13, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #296 of 298
Well this is the closest thing I can find to an official EF-5 thread so I'm going to post this here (also cross posted):

Is there anyone here who has (or has had) both the Project Ember and the EF-5?  I'm curious how the two compare directly.

Feb 10, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #297 of 298
Sorry fellas, I'm about to be a gravedigger...

Just got my hands on a like new EF5. Pairing it with my DacMagic 100 and modded HE500s. Killer sound. Even though I've got some other tubes (NOS Westinghouse and NOS RCA) I think I prefer the Full Music. I can see how some folks find this amp to be a little relaxed up top, but I definitely don't feel like there's anything missing. It has a very organic, natural sound to these ears. I've got an OPA627 en route and I'm considering soldering the power supply IC straight to the board.

Any other mods or tube/opamp suggestions I should consider?

Feb 10, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #298 of 298
  Sorry fellas, I'm about to be a gravedigger...

Just got my hands on a like new EF5. Pairing it with my DacMagic 100 and modded HE500s. Killer sound. Even though I've got some other tubes (NOS Westinghouse and NOS RCA) I think I prefer the Full Music. I can see how some folks find this amp to be a little relaxed up top, but I definitely don't feel like there's anything missing. It has a very organic, natural sound to these ears. I've got an OPA627 en route and I'm considering soldering the power supply IC straight to the board.

Any other mods or tube/opamp suggestions I should consider?

Hi there! check this thread

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back