HE500 or LCD2 or both? (please share your impressions) Mini Review and POLL (please vote)
Dec 14, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #151 of 500
i was so set on buying the he500s over the hd800s as they are more forgiving of weaker source and still pretty good... but then i saw that lcd2s are also a choice and i love me some good mids and lows... i despise treble pretty much but i have a simple technique to avoid sharp treble on siblant headphones(turn the volume down)... anyways, the lcd2 now looks like the perfect choice for me... just two questions... do the package include single ended cable?? or would i have to buy it separately? as i do not intend to use them with a balanced anything... and also... i was reading up on the forums and heard that the rev2 also had driver failings... so is it resolved yet?? as i want these headphones to last me 5 years easy...

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #152 of 500
Quote:
i was so set on buying the he500s over the hd800s as they are more forgiving of weaker source and still pretty good... but then i saw that lcd2s are also a choice and i love me some good mids and lows... i despise treble pretty much but i have a simple technique to avoid sharp treble on siblant headphones(turn the volume down)... anyways, the lcd2 now looks like the perfect choice for me... just two questions... do the package include single ended cable?? or would i have to buy it separately? as i do not intend to use them with a balanced anything... and also... i was reading up on the forums and heard that the rev2 also had driver failings... so is it resolved yet?? as i want these headphones to last me 5 years easy...

Yeah they come standard with single ended cable. Regarding driver failings, there has been very little lately, only one springs to mind and was documented on here. It would seem that the newer version is pretty much sorted and void of problems now. I would also agree that the LCD2 sounds like the perfect hp for you reading the above. :) Because the Audeze line has not quite reached 3 years yet no-one can predict if they will last 5 years. But you do get 3 years guarantee on the drivers and 1 year on the wood. With the new connectors this has stopped the wood cracking issue. Plus Audeze do have a very good customer service record.  

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #153 of 500
Quote:
Yeah they come standard with single ended cable. Regarding driver failings, there has been very little lately, only one springs to mind and was documented on here. It would seem that the newer version is pretty much sorted and void of problems now. I would also agree that the LCD2 sounds like the perfect hp for you reading the above. :) Because the Audeze line has not quite reached 3 years yet no-one can predict if they will last 5 years. But you do get 3 years guarantee on the drivers and 1 year on the wood. With the new connectors this has stopped the wood cracking issue. Plus Audeze do have a very good customer service record.  

people actually crack the wood?? damn... what a waste..

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #154 of 500

people actually crack the wood?? damn... what a waste..

Quote:
With the new connectors this has stopped the wood cracking issue. Plus Audeze do have a very good customer service record.  

People do not crack the wood - it can crack on its own due to sudden shifts in temperature and humidity. Don't bring your LCD-2's to the sauna and take it out in the dry winter air.... Keep your LCD-2/3 in a room with pretty stable weather conditions..... And also the new connector phones can crack (I've seen one).. But the bamboo version won't. 

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #155 of 500
Quote:

People do not crack the wood - it can crack on its own due to sudden shifts in temperature and humidity. Don't bring your LCD-2's to the sauna and take it out in the dry winter air.... Keep your LCD-2/3 in a room with pretty stable weather conditions..... And also the new connector phones can crack (I've seen one).. But the bamboo version won't. 

Good advice. I think because most of the cracking occured at the connectors it was related to the wooden design then. But you are right, wood will defo crack with temperature etc.

Regarding the bamboo. It is very durable and tough. I've sanded mine down twice now haha, before I was happy with the color I put on. But it took some very course sandpaper to make progress.  

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #156 of 500
You have sanded down your LCD-2's?? Post a pic, man!

The reason the older  LCD-2's cracked at the connector is because it was a weak point. It still is a weak point now, but the hole is smaller, and other structural weaknesses in the particular pieces of wood might be mre important. The cracked ones I saw had been lying in a warm hot room and som semi-chilled air was let in to the room. It didn't crack at the connector. 
Quote:
Good advice. I think because most of the cracking occured at the connectors it was related to the wooden design then. But you are right, wood will defo crack with temperature etc.

Regarding the bamboo. It is very durable and tough. I've sanded mine down twice now haha, before I was happy with the color I put on. But it took some very course sandpaper to make progress.  

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #157 of 500
so i should choose the bamboo version?? does it also crack with temperature changes?? it can be a problem for me as i live in a damn hot country where there are 4 extreme weathers...and the heat is enough for me to use air conditioning 24/7 in summers

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #158 of 500
I bet if Audeze releases a wood-free (just market it as "forest-friendly") version of their headphones they'd get a big boost in sales. It would not only mean less maintenance needed, but also most likely lighter weight.

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #159 of 500
Quote:
You have sanded down your LCD-2's?? Post a pic, man!

The reason the older  LCD-2's cracked at the connector is because it was a weak point. It still is a weak point now, but the hole is smaller, and other structural weaknesses in the particular pieces of wood might be mre important. The cracked ones I saw had been lying in a warm hot room and som semi-chilled air was let in to the room. It didn't crack at the connector. 

Believe me there are lots of pics on here
wink_face.gif
  just do a google search typing Lugbug1 lcd2... take a look! theres different varients of my experimentations. But if you want to see the latest just look in the "show us your current headfi..  thread tonight as I've posted a couple of pics.  

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #160 of 500
so i should choose the bamboo version?? does it also crack with temperature changes?? it can be a problem for me as i live in a damn hot country where there are 4 extreme weathers...andD the heat is enough for me to use air conditioning 24/7 in summers

Definetely bamboo. I never heardof bamboo LCD2 cracking. It is also made of glued layers of bamboo strips and way stronger than the wood.

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #161 of 500
Quote:
I bet if Audeze releases a wood-free (just market it as "forest-friendly") version of their headphones they'd get a big boost in sales. It would not only mean less maintenance needed, but also most likely lighter weight.

I'm imagining some carbon fiber LCD-2's right now...hawt...

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #163 of 500
Quote:

Ha ha.  What if you only could keep one - which would it be?
blink.gif

I had this (problem). I promised my daughter a good set of headphones. I had both, and ended up giving her the he-500s. You just cannot pry the lcd2r2s from me. She plays double bass and I just love listening to her Jazz recordings with the Audezes.

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #164 of 500
Quote:
I had this (problem). I promised my daughter a good set of headphones. I had both, and ended up giving her the he-500s. You just cannot pry the lcd2r2s from me. She plays double bass and I just love listening to her Jazz recordings with the Audezes.

+1 the bass on the audeze is on a whole another level from any other headphones out there.

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #165 of 500
Quote:

For me they are the ulitmate Jazz phone! No ther hp can replicate the double bass like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back