HE500 or LCD2 or both? (please share your impressions) Mini Review and POLL (please vote)
Dec 8, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #121 of 500
Quote:

I surly don't experence it.

You should try never to be surly in this forum.
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #122 of 500
I'd take issue with you. 20hz--20khz may be the range of hearing of a young human in peak condition, but for most people it's far less, and in any case we're not equally sensitive to all frequencies within that range. We're certainly much more sensitive to upper mid frequencies (1--5khz, say) than anything above about 8khz, and this needs to be taken into account when interpreting graphs.  A 10khz spike may pass unnoticed by most people (especially as it only affects the harmonics of most instruments), whereas one at 5khz would be quite hard to ignore. The HE-500 has a quite pronounced spike around 8khz, yet few people complain about its upper treble, and for myself I don't hear it except as a touch of "air". The Beyer DT880 I mentioned earlier has an even more pronounced spike slightly lower down, but I only hear it as a slight sharpness with certain instruments, and I can listen to whole tracks without hearing it at all. That certainly wouldn't be the case if it were centered on 4khz, say.    
pp312 said:
I'd take issue with you. 20hz--20khz may be the range of hearing of a young human in peak condition, but for most people it's far less, and in any case we're not equally sensitive to all frequencies within that range. We're certainly much more sensitive to upper mid frequencies (1--5khz, say) than anything above about 8khz, and this needs to be taken into account when interpreti10khz spike may pass unnoticed by most people (especially as it only affects the harmonics of most instruments), whereas one at 5khz would be quite hard to ignore. The HE-500 has a quite pronounced spike around 8khz, yet few people complain about its upper treble, and for myself I don't hear it except as a touch of "air". The Beyer DT880 I mentioned earlier has an even more pronounced spike slightly lower down, but I only hear it as a slight sharpness with certain instruments, and I can listen to whole tracks without hearing it at all. That certainly wouldn't be the case if it were centered on 4khz, say.    

I am not saying the 10khz spike is what bugged me, but I said people do indeed hear 10khz sound.

I believe listening fatigue is a very complex issue, and that we are sensitive in different ways.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #124 of 500
Wow! This thread has picked up, some great impressions guys! Keep em coming

beerchug.gif
 (don't forget to vote!)

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #125 of 500
Quote:
Some actually don't like LCD-2 nor HE-500. Poor souls. 

Yup. Poor souls... Or sadists!  Sadists that like piercing treble and razor slashing peaks!

Quote:
Depends on which amp I would be allowed to keep... And my mood... 

Good answer.

Quote:

I don't know much about planar headphones but they seem to be very popular, and i'm always wiiling to try something different, i still don't know if my Musical Fidelity X-CAN V2 can power either the LCD2/3 or the HE500s.

With Cristmass coming up, If i have to spring for a new amp, i may have to wait a while to buy new headphones.

Yes it will, especially the LCD2's, and to good effect. It's a hybrid, and plannars appreciate both current and voltage. I'd give it a go before jumping into a new amp straight away.

Quote:

You should try never to be surly in this forum.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
 I'd watch your spelling and grammar guys... pp's in the house! 

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #126 of 500
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 9, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #127 of 500
 I cannot comment about the hifi man phones because I have never heard any of them but I do own the lcd2 rev 2.The rev 2s are pretty much everything people say about them so there is no purpose to rehash their sound characteristics.But I would add  that they do seem to have a similar sound with a lot of amps.The one amp that I have heard though only for a brief two and a half hour audition in a local audio salon that really did have a noticeably different sound balance was the bryston headphone amp.The sound of the lcd 2 is much tighter sounding with this amp and way more neutral in balance.The bass on the audezes with this amp is just spectacular sounding. The balance changed so much that with less than stellar recordings they are now showing the kinks in those recordings much more clearly.I have to listen to this combination more but I have been thinking about the bryston amp ever since I heard it with my lcd 2s.
  This is the first amp that I have heard that really awakens my lcd 2s.Before this amp the audezes never sounded out of sorts with any of the amps that I have used them on but with the bryston they are so much more dynamic and with bad recordings the bryston really lets you know those recordings are bad.Of course on good recordings they let you know just how good those recordings are.Well I have to watch my budget for now but maybe late next year if I watch my budget.

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #128 of 500
Best amp I've heard the 2.2s on. The BHA with dark cans are a good match. Not so much with bright ones. I commented in another thread that the LCD 2.2 and BHA-1 was a pair I could live with as a sole system. LCD bass is unique and the brighter amp brings out the mids and highs very nicely.

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #129 of 500
The HE500's are steaming ahead in the poll! Come on LCD2 crue, where are youuuu!
eek.gif

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #130 of 500
Best amp I've heard the 2.2s on. The BHA with dark cans are a good match. Not so much with bright ones. I commented in another thread that the LCD 2.2 and BHA-1 was a pair I could live with as a sole system. LCD bass is unique and the brighter amp brings out the mids and highs very nicely.

I didn't think it was bright, rather the opposite; quite smooth. Several users like bha-1 with hd800, so which is a bright can in my book, at least.

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #131 of 500
Quote:
The HE500's are steaming ahead in the poll! Come on LCD2 crue, where are youuuu!
eek.gif

I suspect that the people who enjoy LCD-2s are so happy that they haven't bothered buying HE500 hence they cannot compare hence are not eligible to vote:)

But honesty, I think this really may be the case - some people have only LCDs, some only HE500, not so many have both. This is also the reason I couldn't give my vote.

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #132 of 500
Quote:
I suspect that the people who enjoy LCD-2s are so happy that they haven't bothered buying HE500 hence they cannot compare hence are not eligible to vote:)

But honesty, I think this really may be the case - some people have only LCDs, some only HE500, not so many have both. This is also the reason I couldn't give my vote.

Statistically speaking though, there are way more people on Head-Fi who own LCD2s than HE500s. Just look at the difference:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-he-500 (76 people own it)

http://www.head-fi.org/products/audeze-lcd2-planar-magnetic-headphones (307 people own it, and there's also 17 more who own LCD2r2 which is a separate category)

So the bias should theoretically be on LCD2s rather than HE500s, and yet the polls are the other way around.

Which means HE500s win :D

(Joking of course, so many variables are not being controlled for with these simplistic forum polls, they don't mean sht)

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #133 of 500
Quote:
Statistically speaking though, there are way more people on Head-Fi who own LCD2s than HE500s. Just look at the difference:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-he-500 (76 people own it)

http://www.head-fi.org/products/audeze-lcd2-planar-magnetic-headphones (307 people own it, and there's also 17 more who own LCD2r2 which is a separate category)

So the bias should theoretically be on LCD2s rather than HE500s, and yet the polls are the other way around.

Which means HE500s win :D

(Joking of course, so many variables are not being controlled for with these simplistic forum polls, they don't mean sht)

Yes, many factors, one of them could be that HE-500's owners are more motivated to prove the value of their headphones.

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #134 of 500
Quote:
Yes, many factors, one of them could be that HE-500's owners are more motivated to prove the value of their headphones.

There is no evidence supporting that.

For all we know most people who voted in the poll so far may very well have auditioned/owned both. Have you?

The only way to poll these kinds of things effectively is to only allow votes to count with people who also post a brief account of their impressions of the two headphones, and not hearsay either.

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #135 of 500
Quote:
There is no evidence supporting that.

For all we know most people who voted in the poll so far may very well have auditioned/owned both. Have you?

The only way to poll these kinds of things effectively is to only allow votes to count with people who also post a brief account of their impressions of the two headphones, and not hearsay either.

OK, if you know the people who voted and you know they are all owners of both headphones then my argument can be thrown out of the window. But if they only auditioned one headphone while already owning the other one, I wouldn't be so sure about the objectivity. Psychological biases can be quite strong.

I would love to audition HE-500 and hear for myself as I get very curious about these headphones because of this topic and the 50 flagships battle post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back