HE500 or LCD2 or both? (please share your impressions) Mini Review and POLL (please vote)
Jan 8, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #182 of 500
Quote:

What did you prefer about the HE-400 exactly? How did the bass compare on both?

I'm curious cause I've listened to the rev 1 LCD-2, and I liked the bass on it, but it was much too dark for me, so I ended up going for an HE-5LE, but I'm not terribly fond of the bass extension on it.

Judging my your amp, one could possibly say you are missing the necessary power? :D

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #183 of 500
Quote:

Judging my your amp, one could possibly say you are missing the necessary power? :D

I seem to be getting this a lot, but no... I just prefer to err on the side of too-much bass rather than too-little, because it makes judging bass levels easier when mixing. Sure, my current setup probably doesn't drive them to their 'full-potential' (even though I am powering the O2 with a 20v/500mA power supply, not batteries), but I can clearly hear down to 30hz with them, and can easily notice the really sharp drop-off after that which is clearly apparent in their measurements. Not to mention that I have heard these phones through better amps, and honestly, the difference isn't that drastic despite how much head-fi'ers like to make it out to be. The type of bass I'm talking about here would require a serious change in sound signature. I can only assume that maybe a lot of people that are satisfied with the bass just don't listen to that much bass-heavy music? There's nothing wrong with that obviously, but when I can barely hear the sub-bass rumble and ambiance in 'A Thousand Years' by Sting, that's a problem for me...

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #185 of 500
Quote:
I seem to be getting this a lot, but no... I just prefer to err on the side of too-much bass rather than too-little, because it makes judging bass levels easier when mixing. Sure, my current setup probably doesn't drive them to their 'full-potential' (even though I am powering the O2 with a 20v/500mA power supply, not batteries), but I can clearly hear down to 30hz with them, and can easily notice the really sharp drop-off after that which is clearly apparent in their measurements. Not to mention that I have heard these phones through better amps, and honestly, the difference isn't that drastic despite how much head-fi'ers like to make it out to be. The type of bass I'm talking about here would require a serious change in sound signature. I can only assume that maybe a lot of people that are satisfied with the bass just don't listen to that much bass-heavy music? There's nothing wrong with that obviously, but when I can barely hear the sub-bass rumble and ambiance in 'A Thousand Years' by Sting, that's a problem for me...

While listening to the track on my T50RP's, I can barely make out the rumble you describe.  Its almost inaudible.  That same rumble sounds more apparent on my K501's, but I can't 'feel' it.  Sounds rolled off.  Now on the HE-500's, it now sounds apparent and has the necessary weight.  Its a clean sounding... thuuuuuuuump.  It sounds 'right' to my ears.  I'm sure a FLAC version of this track would be even better.

Cheers.

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #186 of 500
Quote:
LCD-2 is great with the V200. Also - the LCD-2 isn't as "warm" as you might think :)

Second that, is it the latest revision of v2 or something else but they have quite energetic treble, anything more would make highs unbearably bright, but I haven't heard HE500 to tell how they compare, this is just in reference to my other phones.

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #187 of 500
Considering the LCD-2, coupe of questions needing your advice:

1) do most of you run them balanced and does that make a noticeable difference?
2) related to above, recommendation for balanced amp of around $1K, preferably in a small(er) form factor like the Burson Soloist?

Thanks.

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #188 of 500
Quote:

Well... the bass obviously needs a lot of power on both the HE-5LE and HE-6.... I know myself as I can tell my HE-6 is underpowered. I will have to verify when my speaker amp is backm but I expect a substantial increase in body as right now I too find the bass slightly lacking...
Also: (taken from the "battle of the flagship headphones" thread

"BASS: The HE-6's "(or HE-5LE...)" bass presentation is among the best I've ever heard. When fed a significant amount of current, the headphone produces a wonderfully extended and punchy bass response."

But each his own :)

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #189 of 500
Quote:
Considering the LCD-2, coupe of questions needing your advice:
1) do most of you run them balanced and does that make a noticeable difference?
2) related to above, recommendation for balanced amp of around $1K, preferably in a small(er) form factor like the Burson Soloist?
Thanks.

I'd say the quality of the amp itself matters a lot more than whether or not it's balanced.  Actually, if I were you, I would just get that Burson Soloist.  I have the Conductor (same amp section) and it's great.

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #190 of 500
Quote:
the LCD-2 isn't as "warm" as you might think :)

Quote:
they have quite energetic treble, anything more would make highs unbearably bright,

Lets not get carried away guys...
regular_smile .gif

Theres no getting away from the fact that they are a warm sounding headphone. There may be warmer but none that I've heard in the near price range. The 650's are more laidback but not as dark or warm.  And "energetic" treble to me says coloured or emphasized and it is most certainly not. At least not on my 5 amps. The treble is detailed and natural but nothing is pronounced other than the little peak that is there in the lower highs that carries a little hardness to the tone. The K701's, Grado's or HD800 have energetic treble... Ofcourse IMO.

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #193 of 500
"Dark" and "warm" are different concepts. Any muted cheap headphone is darker than the LCD-2. Of all the high end headphones I have heard, Lcd-3 is the "darkest". The HD650 is a warmer sounding can. I'd even say the HE-500 is warmer (but brighter) in some settings. Fostex T50RP is definetly warmer and just as dark. 
Quote:
I'm asking cause I don't.  What headphones would you say are darker than the LCD-2s?

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #194 of 500
OK,  Well I have to kinda disagree..  IMO the LCD-2 is definitely darker than the HE-500s and the LCD-3s..  I think the LCD-2 is the king of dark headphones.   For me anyway..

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #195 of 500
I said the HE-500 is WARMER, not darker. I actually wrote " warmer (but brighter)"  I also said: WARM is not DARK ! 
angry_face.gif

Quote:
OK,  Well I have to kinda disagree..  IMO the LCD-2 is definitely darker than the HE-500s and the LCD-3s..  I think the LCD-2 is the king of dark headphones.   For me anyway..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back