HE500 or LCD2 or both? (please share your impressions) Mini Review and POLL (please vote)
Jan 11, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #211 of 500
Quote:
Thanks Jerg,
Yeah its hard to put the sound in your head to the math in front of you. But those dips in the HE500 makes sense if I think of it as quite dark with holes of light shining through. Thats what the hifimans are like for me, they maintain a darkish tone but have razer like bites sometimes.

Wow, that's how they sound to me too.  That pretty much explains why I've been having so much trouble coming to terms with mine--those bites, which perhaps are even more obvious on classical music. Somehow I just haven't been able to relax into the music the way I can with the DT880 Pro even though the latter isn't as incisive and resolving--or indeed with the LCD-2 Rev1 I had before. I keep reading that the HE-500 is as smooth as butter, but that isn't quite what I'm hearing.

Jan 12, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #212 of 500
Quote:
Thanks Jerg,
Yeah its hard to put the sound in your head to the math in front of you. But those dips in the HE500 makes sense if I think of it as quite dark with holes of light shining through. Thats what the hifimans are like for me, they maintain a darkish tone but have razer like bites sometimes. That first dip would probably cause this as the mids slope off before quite a peak in the mid treb. 

This is true when talking about the HE-500s Spot on.  Not the case with the HE-6 not a dark headphone in any way.  The HE-5LEs and kinda in between both.  The HE-4 is like the HE-6s not a dark headphone in amy way.

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #213 of 500
I am thinking about one of these hp's and wish I could find someone in my situation. I have a pair of Yamaha YH-100 that are unmodded and near perfect shape. I think a lot of description of he500 and lcd2 also pertains to YH orthos, them being dark etc (I say they sound less artificial than a lot of dynamic hp's I've heard.) The first thing I noticed about the YH was that they sound like a 3-way speaker compared to my dynamic phones that sounded at best a 2-way to me. One thing I have to think about with the YH is I have to listen to super quality stuff due to the detail of them and their ability to point out every bit, even the bad. Another thing is that they are pretty comfy for long periods. They are very heavy too, but the head strap and adjustments are awesome. I worry about the comfort of the HE and LCD2. Power is the key with the YH though, and at low volumes they sound below average. But with the volume up a bit and a DSD cd or equivalent, they sound like you're there, IMO. The worst thing about the YH is that they are an on-ear headphone, which I find to be a disadvantage vs the over-ear. Another thing I worry about is the HE or LCD2, which seems to be common, is one side going out or something. Otherwise I believe orthos are still coming around and will get better. Here's a side note for people who are thinking about getting into the ortho game, every time I put on my AKG K701 and I turn them up, the sound is blasting, but I don't get transported to the concert like with my YH. Otherwise, I'd take the LCD2 because of what people say about them being OK for comfort, but the HE look hella sweet to me too. I hear the HE need extra padding to make them bearable. If you search hfiman on eBay you'll see one of the snap on pads I'm describing. For those who ask why I don't mod my YH: first, I don't want to ruin a hp that already sounds better to me than my AKG K701; second, I read that the dampening may make it more inefficient.   

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #214 of 500
Quote:
I am thinking about one of these hp's and wish I could find someone in my situation. I have a pair of Yamaha YH-100 that are unmodded and near perfect shape. I think a lot of description of he500 and lcd2 also pertains to YH orthos, them being dark etc (I say they sound less artificial than a lot of dynamic hp's I've heard.) The first thing I noticed about the YH was that they sound like a 3-way speaker compared to my dynamic phones that sounded at best a 2-way to me. One thing I have to think about with the YH is I have to listen to super quality stuff due to the detail of them and their ability to point out every bit, even the bad. Another thing is that they are pretty comfy for long periods. They are very heavy too, but the head strap and adjustments are awesome. I worry about the comfort of the HE and LCD2. Power is the key with the YH though, and at low volumes they sound below average. But with the volume up a bit and a DSD cd or equivalent, they sound like you're there, IMO. The worst thing about the YH is that they are an on-ear headphone, which I find to be a disadvantage vs the over-ear. Another thing I worry about is the HE or LCD2, which seems to be common, is one side going out or something. Otherwise I believe orthos are still coming around and will get better. Here's a side note for people who are thinking about getting into the ortho game, every time I put on my AKG K701 and I turn them up, the sound is blasting, but I don't get transported to the concert like with my YH. Otherwise, I'd take the LCD2 because of what people say about them being OK for comfort, but the HE look hella sweet to me too. I hear the HE need extra padding to make them bearable. If you search hfiman on eBay you'll see one of the snap on pads I'm describing. For those who ask why I don't mod my YH: first, I don't want to ruin a hp that already sounds better to me than my AKG K701; second, I read that the dampening may make it more inefficient.   

Hey James,
I wish you could try both and decide for yourself but that is a very expensive way to do it and ofcourse not very practical. I think if you already know how good the orthos sound is compared to dynamics, then you will not be disappointed with either. There aren't many who have ended up keeping both, but I'm one of them. I seem to hear enough light and shade between them both to justify that. But objectively (if that is poss!) the HE500 is the better all rounder. And to be fair, probably the better headphone. People who love the LCD2, love it for what it does. And it does it very well. If you prefer intimacy and a laid back presentation with a rich sound and warm but controlled bass then the LCD2 may be for you. If on the other hand you want a classic hi-fi experience with balance, and a very nice everything, then the HE500 may be the one. I say "nice" everything because thats what they do. Nothing is spectacular, but everything is agreeably nice! One could say that is a sign of quality, as nothing is drawn to your attention.  Both headphones have the liquid mids and dark characteristics of planar. The shaping of instruments is very real and thats what really stands out for me over dynamics. I'd give the nod to the the hifimans for comfort as the headband is easier to stretch and depending on the size of your head the LCD's can have quite a clamp. Both are heavier than any dynamic phone but it really doesn't take long to get used to the weight.
Good luck with your choice!  Also, you can sell either of these hp's without losing much on the paid price as they are very sort after. So if you don't like one, sell it and get the other :) 

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #215 of 500
I have read a lot of good stuff about hifiman orthos. I've heard that even the he400 are supposed to be able to hold their own when competing with lcd2 and he500. For me I just wanted to know if I could trust HIFIman like I could Sennheiser with a $699 purchase. I think you're right too that I need to hear them and that I'll probably like the 500's better. I have a huge head too so I know the lcd2 will be funky if they are tight at all.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #216 of 500
Quote:

Hey James,
I wish you could try both and decide for yourself but that is a very expensive way to do it and ofcourse not very practical. I think if you already know how good the orthos sound is compared to dynamics, then you will not be disappointed with either. There aren't many who have ended up keeping both, but I'm one of them. I seem to hear enough light and shade between them both to justify that. But objectively (if that is poss!) the HE500 is the better all rounder. And to be fair, probably the better headphone. People who love the LCD2, love it for what it does. And it does it very well. If you prefer intimacy and a laid back presentation with a rich sound and warm but controlled bass then the LCD2 may be for you. If on the other hand you want a classic hi-fi experience with balance, and a very nice everything, then the HE500 may be the one. I say "nice" everything because thats what they do. Nothing is spectacular, but everything is agreeably nice! One could say that is a sign of quality, as nothing is drawn to your attention.  Both headphones have the liquid mids and dark characteristics of planar. The shaping of instruments is very real and thats what really stands out for me over dynamics. I'd give the nod to the the hifimans for comfort as the headband is easier to stretch and depending on the size of your head the LCD's can have quite a clamp. Both are heavier than any dynamic phone but it really doesn't take long to get used to the weight.
Good luck with your choice!  Also, you can sell either of these hp's without losing much on the paid price as they are very sort after. So if you don't like one, sell it and get the other :) 

I'd say this is agreeable, even if I disagree.

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #217 of 500
Quote:
I have read a lot of good stuff about hifiman orthos. I've heard that even the he400 are supposed to be able to hold their own when competing with lcd2 and he500. For me I just wanted to know if I could trust HIFIman like I could Sennheiser with a $699 purchase. I think you're right too that I need to hear them and that I'll probably like the 500's better. I have a huge head too so I know the lcd2 will be funky if they are tight at all.

No, to that extent you cant unfortunately. Or not yet... The QC is the only shoddy thing about HifiMAN. They make excellent products but they dont test them enough (or not all all)...
Almost anyone here had a problem with their first Hifiman headphone, me included. My HE-6 right driver died after 3 weeks and I am sending them back for replacement.
The good thing is, however, that they have really good customer support. If the HP is still under warranty then you pretty much pay only for the shipping and they will replace your broken pair ofr a new one.
I love the Hifiman HP because they sound sublime just know that there might be a problem with your pair and that it isnt 100% guaranteed that you will get a flawless one first time around.
This applies to all of their orthodynamic models, more or less.
Some were lucky and some less so :) 

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #218 of 500
Quote:

No, to that extent you cant unfortunately. Or not yet... The QC is the only shoddy thing about HifiMAN. They make excellent products but they dont test them enough (or not all all)...
Almost anyone here had a problem with their first Hifiman headphone, me included. My HE-6 right driver died after 3 weeks and I am sending them back for replacement.
The good thing is, however, that they have really good customer support. If the HP is still under warranty then you pretty much pay only for the shipping and they will replace your broken pair ofr a new one.
I love the Hifiman HP because they sound sublime just know that there might be a problem with your pair and that it isnt 100% guaranteed that you will get a flawless one first time around.
This applies to all of their orthodynamic models, more or less.
Some were lucky and some less so :) 

Agreed. Hifiman has great customer support. It cost me around $15 to ship it to USA from Canada and I got a replacement one in 2-3 weeks. They also declared the item value as $10, so no extra COD fees to surprise you. Audeze on the other hand will get you, same thing with Schiit. American companies aren't that flexible to do so because of the laws.

So a new LCD-2 would be $995 + shipping + tax + customs/COD

HE-500 - $699 + less than $20 for shipping.

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #219 of 500
Quote:

Agreed. Hifiman has great customer support. It cost me around $15 to ship it to USA from Canada and I got a replacement one in 2-3 weeks. They also declared the item value as $10, so no extra COD fees to surprise you. Audeze on the other hand will get you, same thing with Schiit. American companies aren't that flexible to do so because of the laws.

Why don't you ask someone in US to receive your headphones first and then resend them to you the way you find the best? I did and saved a lot of money (no tax, almost no custom clearance)...

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #220 of 500
Quote:

Why don't you ask someone in US to receive your headphones first and then resend them to you the way you find the best? I did and saved a lot of money (no tax, almost no custom clearance)...

That can work out for some people, although not everyone has people in States. Also, I think Europeans still have to pay customs if they get it directly from Audeze, correct me if I'm wrong. Nonetheless, this method can save money.

I personally got mines local.

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #221 of 500
Quote:

That can work out for some people, although not everyone has people in States. Also, I think Europeans still have to pay customs if they get it directly from Audeze, correct me if I'm wrong. Nonetheless, this method can save money.

I personally got mines local.

No, you don't have to... You just have to be clever enough to avoid it. ,-) And yes, it can save you a BIG amount of money.

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #222 of 500
In Canada, you can get them all from Headphone Bar. You'll still have to pay the taxes but shipping is cheap and no cross border stuff.
Just deciding where to order the HE500 from - from HB or directly from HiFiMAN - I find that shipments from China to Canada usually don't get dinged with customs.
Quote:

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #223 of 500
Quote:
In Canada, you can get them all from Headphone Bar. You'll still have to pay the taxes but shipping is cheap and no cross border stuff.
Just deciding where to order the HE500 from - from HB or directly from HiFiMAN - I find that shipments from China to Canada usually don't get dinged with customs.

Ahh yes, totally forgot about HB. Also trying to get Canada Computers here in Ontario (specifically Mississauga) to start stocking them and have them up for display. Right now they're stocking LCD-3's online.

Definitely get the HE-500 from Hifiman. HB charges more for HE-500 and also has sales tax. Hifiman directly will have no sales tax or customs and charge the $699. The shipping is relatively low as well. Although the shipping time is longer from Hifiman. Travis from HB ships the same or next day, depending on the time of the order and stuff gets to you quite quickly.

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #224 of 500
Thanks.. I'm actually in Mississauga.  Came so close to pulling the trigger on the HE500 many times but am recovering from my addiction. Spent way too much money last year and just got the v-moda M100s.  I'm sure I'll have the HE500 by late spring and then call it a day and enjoy.  I will get them directly from HiFiMAN. Still have my Q cable from my HE400 so I'm ready!
Quote:

Ahh yes, totally forgot about HB. Also trying to get Canada Computers here in Ontario (specifically Mississauga) to start stocking them and have them up for display. Right now they're stocking LCD-3's online.

Definitely get the HE-500 from Hifiman. HB charges more for HE-500 and also has sales tax. Hifiman directly will have no sales tax or customs and charge the $699. The shipping is relatively low as well. Although the shipping time is longer from Hifiman. Travis from HB ships the same or next day, depending on the time of the order and stuff gets to you quite quickly.

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #225 of 500
Quote:
Thanks.. I'm actually in Mississauga.  Came so close to pulling the trigger on the HE500 many times but am recovering from my addiction. Spent way too much money last year and just got the v-moda M100s.  I'm sure I'll have the HE500 by late spring and then call it a day and enjoy.  I will get them directly from HiFiMAN. Still have my Q cable from my HE400 so I'm ready!

Another mississauga person 
beerchug.gif

Yeah...head-fi can do that to your wallet. HE-500 is easily one of those headphones that if you like them, you won't really need to get something else. Unless you just want to try different stuff. This headphone still can surprise me from time to time. A good DAC is also needed with the HE-500 IMO. The E10 that I used to use it with before doesn't do justice. ou should be fine with your Bifrost though. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back