HE500 or LCD2 or both? (please share your impressions) Mini Review and POLL (please vote)
Sep 30, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #436 of 500
Maybe they are good for ......METAL too!
Not funny anymore but 
wink.gif

Oct 5, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #438 of 500

Every LCD2 threads that I read have some one experience driver's failure. I am not sure because of the LCD2's user is more active in this forum due to their higher investment into gears, or LCD2's driver actually have higher failure rate compare to other plannar magnetic headphone ?
I am asking a question, not making a statement.

I'm on my 2nd set of drivers. I got same-week turnaround and new pads so it was worth my while to send them in. I had been experiencing intermittent channel imbalance for a while. They covered baller UPS shipping to me too. The earlier LCD-2 Rev2's had QC issues which Audeze was straightforward with and mine was not a part of that bunch but I was still taken care of. I've been using LCD-2 since it came out alongside the HE's and HD800.

Hifiman I've never had a problem with their build quality per se. I think the pads are secured in a somewhat wonky way but it's not terrible at all and it's still a great build overall.

Nov 4, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #439 of 500
Finally got a chance to have an LCD-2 Revision 2 for the whole week + weekend with my own HE-500 and have been A/B'ing them for the last couple hours with a much more in depth review and comparison of the two to come sometime in the coming weeks. 

IMHO, they are both on the same level of sonic capability when it comes to technicalaties, I think they're just two different flavors. One is more chocolatey, seductive, and natural (LCD-2), and one is more analytical, more open, and more detail driven. 

HE-500: "Want to be impressed? Try me, I'm the wow factor of the two.
LCD-2: "I'll sedcuce you in every way possible, and everything sounds so natural, it's just right." 
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #440 of 500
Could someone recommend the best ? The kind of music I'm currently enjoying :

- Bipolar Sunshine - Drowning Butterflies
- London Grammar (all)
- Glass animals - exxus / black mambo
- half moon run  - Dark Eyes

but also "oldies": 
- Fleetwood Mac - rumours
- Muddy Waters - Folk Singer
- The doors

and a little bit of vocal jazz..
I prefer the less expensive but if it's better for my needs , i'll get the LCD-2 (can't listen to anyone before buying)
& I'm playing my music through my macbook pro with audirvana + modi/magni.

Thank you  
regular_smile .gif

Nov 11, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #441 of 500
Cannot agree more with your review. The orthos sound very much natural and realistic while still very liquid and inviting. This thing maybe, to me, the ATH, Grado, or JVC.. owners will never understand
regular_smile .gif

"My experience with them over time, is that they grow and grow on you like a friend that you end up marrying haha. You do need to give them time.. Let your brain burn in with them!".=> I just fall in love with your portrayal. It is exactly what i underwent with my LCD-2 r2:))

Nov 11, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #442 of 500
  Could someone recommend the best ? The kind of music I'm currently enjoying :

- Bipolar Sunshine - Drowning Butterflies
- London Grammar (all)
- Glass animals - exxus / black mambo
- half moon run  - Dark Eyes

but also "oldies": 
- Fleetwood Mac - rumours
- Muddy Waters - Folk Singer
- The doors

and a little bit of vocal jazz..
I prefer the less expensive but if it's better for my needs , i'll get the LCD-2 (can't listen to anyone before buying)
& I'm playing my music through my macbook pro with audirvana + modi/magni.

Thank you  
regular_smile .gif

I would choose the HE500 as it is more versatile with music.

P.S I went to school with the members of Half Moon Run here in Montreal lol

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 20, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #445 of 500
There was an immediacy and intimacy and liveliness in the LCD 2 that was not there on the he500 even though the he500 sounded great and more well rounded...
Hell, even the superiorly polished sound of the HE-6 could not call me the way these LCD 2 did..

In the end it didn't matter, for any reasons...
None of the other cans, not even their larger soundstage or balance of the trebles or mids or bass, or polished sound mattered ..

All I was left with was this impression on my mind of the lcd2...
The way they sounded..
Nothing else mattered, or left as long lasting an impression on my mind.

It was almost a sensory shock as I was imbued with an intense realism and solidness.
A sensory shock to the brain, like what the hd800 first gave me(for different reasons),, but in an energized and intimate level.

The LCD's sound didn't have to be perfect or large or well rounded...
None of that mattered anymore..

It was a seduction of the ears that said "you need me"..(!)
Yes, the LCD2 spoke to me and said, "I am the one for you", regardless of what I wanted..

I wanted first the Alphadog, and then hd800..

Yet now, none of that matters anymore.
I now neeed the LCD 2 ..(!)
..for.. Christmassssss :)

Nov 21, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #447 of 500
^ yeah though I have heard other headphones ... The lcd 2 is the by far the most natural sounding. I would prefer a tad bit wider of a sound stage though. 

I agree with this, your HE-500's souf quite nice though! *wink wink*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back