HE500 or LCD2 or both? (please share your impressions) Mini Review and POLL (please vote)
Sep 6, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #421 of 500

HE500s with warm-sounding pads (stock or modded pleather earpads being the most obvious) have very liquid upper end, by liquid I mean very smooth yet not overly recessed. It's a far cry from HE400's upper midrange ~ treble behaviour. I can crank the volume up all the way through HE500, and the treble is the last thing to irritate my hearing.

If you use velour earpads or very deep non-Hifiman earpads on HE500s, on the other hand, you might find the upper midrange a bit too aggressive for nonfatiguing long-period listening, so be aware.

LCD2, especially the current version (revision 2), is pretty forward from what I've auditioned. About as forward as HE500+velours, more forward than HE500+pleathers, and a lot more forward than HE400. LCD2s do have better depth perception (projection of sound in the forward direction) than any of the HE400/500, but IMO its width perception is a bit lacking.

HE500's bass has much better extension than HE400, and it's a bit fatter-sounding (less clean, more rumbly) too. It's also a tad less prominent than HE400's bass, relative to midrange/treble.

tl;dr depending on your priorities, either HE500 or LCD2 would be appreciable upgrades for you.

Jerg... I see you so often being helpful. Thanks bro. Keep keeping it simple and informatively to the point. 

Sep 19, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #423 of 500
If it's a money thing go HE-500 every time. They were both like neck and neck anyway when they were closer in price, with the LCD-2 edging it out slightly over. This was a Sixmoons review anyway and their stuff is horribly biased. (Nuforce HDP best amp under $1000 and could power the HE-5LE lewl)

Sep 19, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #424 of 500
If it's a money thing go HE-500 every time. They were both like neck and neck anyway when they were closer in price, with the LCD-2 edging it out slightly over. This was a Sixmoons review anyway and their stuff is horribly biased. (Nuforce HDP best amp under $1000 and could power the HE-5LE lewl)

LOL0Lll0Ol0l0l0L!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nuforce sucks, i find their stuff to sound thin and lifeless

Sep 23, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #425 of 500
LOL0Lll0Ol0l0l0L!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nuforce sucks, i find their stuff to sound thin and lifeless

Lol yeah I had a bunch of them, they're actually super useful as home entertainment wonderboxes because of all the various inputs, but yeah I switched to AGD for that.

Yes I listen to TV through cans lol.

Anyway get HE-500  if it's about money, the LCD-2 is better built IMO and I'd pay just for that.

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #426 of 500
i have a nuforce portable amp still, its kinda useless though.

their products are definitely more targeted at the entry level market and perhaps gaming and pc use rather than as a serious audiophile rig.

Sep 24, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #427 of 500
  i have a nuforce portable amp still, its kinda useless though.

their products are definitely more targeted at the entry level market and perhaps gaming and pc use rather than as a serious audiophile rig.

Never heard the portables, I use one of their headsets still though. It works and it's got dat superbass

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #428 of 500

Lol yeah I had a bunch of them, they're actually super useful as home entertainment wonderboxes because of all the various inputs, but yeah I switched to AGD for that.

Yes I listen to TV through cans lol.

Anyway get HE-500  if it's about money, the LCD-2 is better built IMO and I'd pay just for that.

Every LCD2 threads that I read have some one experience driver's failure. I am not sure because of the LCD2's user is more active in this forum due to their higher investment into gears, or LCD2's driver actually have higher failure rate compare to other plannar magnetic headphone ?
I am asking a question, not making a statement.

Sep 28, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #429 of 500

Every LCD2 threads that I read have some one experience driver's failure. I am not sure because of the LCD2's user is more active in this forum due to their higher investment into gears, or LCD2's driver actually have higher failure rate compare to other plannar magnetic headphone ?
I am asking a question, not making a statement.

HifiMan's have had their own QC issues. Both companies offer exemplary Customer Service though.

Still amazes me how I've never heard of an HD800 failure. Crazy.

Sep 28, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #430 of 500
even more impressive.

even my beyerdynamic t1, but also hd 650 (once), and every grado i've owned, also suffers from rattle issues when debris gets into the drivers. 

the HD 800s have never had this issue, nor have i ever seen it on the forums.

Sep 28, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #431 of 500
  even more impressive.

even my beyerdynamic t1, but also hd 650 (once), and every grado i've owned, also suffers from rattle issues when debris gets into the drivers. 

the HD 800s have never had this issue, nor have i ever seen it on the forums.

Where are you exactly using your headphones that debris are getting in your drivers? 
eek.gif

Sep 28, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #432 of 500

Where are you exactly using your headphones that debris are getting in your drivers? 
eek.gif

Better tell her never go Stax. 

Sep 28, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #433 of 500
Where are you exactly using your headphones that debris are getting in your drivers? :eek:

They generally come like that from the factory.

Always after i fix the problem, it never happens again

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #434 of 500
They generally come like that from the factory.

Always after i fix the problem, it never happens again

So the Grados come with debris from the factory...no wonder they are made for ..........ROCK music! 
cool.gif

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #435 of 500
I couldn't resist 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back