HE500 or LCD2 or both? (please share your impressions) Mini Review and POLL (please vote)
Feb 7, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #467 of 500
  In what way wouldn't the HE600 be close... would it be a clear winner?

you know what I would have to take that back.... That was a bad comment. The lcd 2 would just spank it in technicalities I suppose. I think the lcd2 and hd650 are closer sounding than the lcd2 and he500. They are usally put in the same class and the hd600 isnt.  

Feb 7, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #468 of 500
So, if the LCD2 spanks the HE600 and the HE500 puts dukes up to the LCD2 then the HE500 can battle with the HE6, despite its value at more than twice its worth? Asking as I've got a pair of Alpha Dogs and have been looking to swap them out for HE500's but as its complicated with shipping and value etc I figured I'd keep the Alphas and move on up to an LCD2 considering them to be the next level but well... sounds like the HE500's run the roost.

Feb 7, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #469 of 500
what I would do is hold tight for just a bit and see how the new hifiman he400i (four hundred eye) and the new he 560 fair.

They are easier to drive than all of them and will probably have better comfort. one of those will be the next open hp I get.

Feb 7, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #470 of 500
I'm personally a bigger fan of the LCD-2 all-around, though they do get a little heavy for extended listening sessions. I had a similar dilemma when I was getting my first pair of really high-end headphones - then I realized that if it's close enough that you have to really think about, you can't go wrong either way. :)

Feb 7, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #471 of 500
  the lcd sounds closed and the he500 has a more open and spritely sound. It has way more wow factor than the lcd2

The lcd sounds boring even with eq but it sounds a lot more natural with better timbres, better bass and is super smooth. Probably one of the smoothest headphone around and is even more transparent than the he500 but a lot less open sounding. 

Basically you can't eq the lcd2 to give it air and energy. The he500 would be considered more balanced because its treble is a lot less rolled off. The problem with eq is that just because it alters the amount of that frequency that comes in it still cant give it the clean energy that hardware eq would to make it effective. It would still be less energetic and sparkly than the he500. The treble eq'd on the lcd2 is still super smooth and dull. 

You stole the words right out of my mouth. 
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #472 of 500
  So, if the LCD2 spanks the HE600 and the HE500 puts dukes up to the LCD2 then the HE500 can battle with the HE6, despite its value at more than twice its worth? Asking as I've got a pair of Alpha Dogs and have been looking to swap them out for HE500's but as its complicated with shipping and value etc I figured I'd keep the Alphas and move on up to an LCD2 considering them to be the next level but well... sounds like the HE500's run the roost.

There is a massive myth (IMHO) going around that the HE-6 is leagues above the HE-500 when amplified off of speaker taps. I've heard them both and done extensive testing between the two on a legendary high-end speaker amp, the Stingray, and they're both in the same league. The HE-6 is more airy, with a faster transient response, and a slightly tizzier treble.

Feb 7, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #473 of 500

Whatt he hell is this talk about the HE-600? Is it a real headphone?

Feb 7, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #475 of 500
Keeps the swing of things going, ya know? .lol.

Asking the same question for the AK240 in another thread... if offered what would you take, cause thats where the biscuit is.... would anyone actually take a HE500 over an LCD2 if offered?

Seriously doubt it.

Feb 7, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #476 of 500
  Keeps the swing of things going, ya know? .lol.

Asking the same question for the AK240 in another thread... if offered what would you take, cause thats where the biscuit is.... would anyone actually take a HE500 over an LCD2 if offered?

Seriously doubt it.

I would. I prefer the HE-500 to the LCD-2.

Feb 7, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #478 of 500

I would. I prefer the HE-500 to the LCD-2.

What is the difference in resolution? What qualities that the LCD2 has that makes it more transparent than 500? it's strange that lcd2 has better timbre when it isn't as neutral as 500... i feel like that would affect transparency as well.

Feb 7, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #479 of 500
I am in a similar situation being a He500 owner and thinking of getting the Lcd-2.2. Then again, there's the He-6... And the Hd800 is not too far off the price range from the He-6.

Feb 7, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #480 of 500
Yeah I'm pretty sure my next HP is the hd800 for it's special abilities with imaging and detail. LCD for the bass and romantic presentation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back