HE-500 (or LCD2) Questions + Amp and DAC matching
Sep 20, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #16 of 19

Quote:
He occasionally does long gaming sessions, but he's pretty tolerant about a reasonable level of discomfort so I don't think headphone weight will be a disqualifier.  It was mainly the clamping pressure that concerned me.

Some people complain about the weight, but I don't find the weight to be a factor at all. I never forget they're on my head, but I've never had any discomfort from the weight even during extended wearing. Unless he's particularly weak necked, I doubt he'd have any problem with the weight. If he has done any motorsports that require a helmet, he definitely won't care about the weight. The weight of the LCD-2's is nothing compared to putting a helmet on your head that weighs multiple times as much. (Granted the helmet's weight is distributed across more surface area, but that won't make any difference to the neck, and the headphones don't have to deal with g-forces increasing the load.)

Clamping pressure wise, it's a springy metal band creating the pressure, so he can always stretch the headband out to reduce it. I haven't done it myself, but others have claimed it helps. Similarly, the band should naturally lose a bit of it's tension simply from every day use over the course of time. Also, the body itself is amazingly adaptable. Everybody is different in how quickly they acclimate, but the body will eventually adjust to not being bothered by what was originally uncomfortable. Mind you, that isn't an excuse to keep something that is found extremely uncomfortable. However, if he ends up really enjoying the sound, but finds them a slight bit uncomfortable, then it's probably better to keep them and adapt than send them back and gamble on a different sound signature in the HE-500's.

Sep 21, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #17 of 19
True that you can learn to ignore a lot but it´s there on a sub conscious level. For example my computer has some fan noise but I am so used to it I learned to shut it out. But shut off the computer it´s such a relief! There is a similar feeling when putting the LCD-2 off my head. But well for me they sound so good it´s all worth it so don´t take this as not recommending them. Say a lot about how much I like these headphones I use them despite neither offer much isolation and the LCD-2 is the most uncomfortable headphone I currently own :)

Sep 21, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #18 of 19
I wont argue there! While a person can adapt, they'll never quite get to the point where they're completely oblivious to stimulus they grew accustom to. The computer example is a good one. Mine is quiet to the point where I can nearly forget it's even on when using it, but I can certainly notice the absence of the noise when it's turned off. (Though I actually like the soft white noise it adds. In a dead silent room I tend to focus on my mild tinnitus - which drives me nuts in comparison.) Likewise, I can tell when the LCD-2 is taken off and the pressure abates. Still, much like you, I love the LCD-2s despite their shortcomings in the comfort realm. 

Sep 21, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #19 of 19
Is there a forum or thread where people can commission a DIY project?  I read older posts saying that there's a place for those requests but can't find it anymore.

Also, is the going rate for a 2channel or 3channel beta22 commission about the same as YBM and Rockhopper?  I could be off, but I think starting rates for vanilla beta22s are $1500-1800 from YBM and Rockhopper?

The homebuilt beta22s on the FS forums seem to be all over the map in price, seemingly dependent upon the quality of chassis.  Just saw ShinyFalcon's build on the FS forums and it looks incredible!  For something like this, though, I'd be more interested in function over form, as I'm more price sensitive :)

I looked around for a beta22 thread to piggyback onto but couldn't find anything current in the amp forum.  I'm guessing the beta22 is a pretty common amp to pair with the LCD-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back