HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Oct 17, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #1,936 of 3,819
I Just pulled the trigger on the Mini-X A-100 amp and the XDA-2 DAC/Preamp. The early holiday sale was too good to pass up. At $468 for both, it was a no brainer hehe. Can't wait to try it out on my HE-500! =) Thanks for everyones advice on this thread!

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #1,937 of 3,819
I notice a very slight hiss with my he500 and a-100.  Extremely minor though to the point that if there is anything else in the room (like the fan from a computer) you can't really hear it.

On another note, I notice that if I put my ear very close to the a-100, I can hear a buzz coming from the toroidal transformer.  Is this normal?  I just picked this up used and wondering if there may be an issue or if it is a common thing.  It doesn't seem to affect the sound or function at all, and I have to literally put my ear to the case to hear it.  Doing a google search, it seems this is common with toroidal transformers?

Thanks

Oct 17, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #1,938 of 3,819
If it's within 30 days they will give you the difference. It is Emotiva's policy, stated right on their website.

Oh right. I'll wait for a reply. I got the amp today. Been listening to my new setup foobar>nfb11.32>emotiva>blue dragon>he500 with jergpads v2. Based on the preliminary listening session, I must say that I'm quite impressed. It definitely sounds different from say listening to the he500 directly from the nfb11.32. More impressions to follow.

Oct 17, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #1,939 of 3,819
  can you hear any hiss using he-500 with a-100 mini ?? is it dead silent when there is no music playing ??

With my current setup,Optical output => Teac UD-501 DAC => Mini-x=> front plate mounted 1/4" TRS, I have no hiss no noise at all.   The only time I could hear audible hum is when the volume knob passes 2 - 3 o'clock which is more than 2x the listening volume as I often listen at right around 9 o'clock.

Oct 17, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #1,940 of 3,819
Oct 17, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #1,942 of 3,819
  On a slightly related note, I added a Tripath TA2024 based amp card to my TEAC UD-H01 balanced DAC to drive my HE-500 headphones. The amp has lots of overhead, I listen at 9 - 10 o'clock position and it's dead silent at full volume. It sounds very good, even compared to the Schiit Mjolnir.

The how-to thread is here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/684169/tripath-ta2024-amp-board-as-balanced-headphone-amp-in-teac-ud-h01-dac

Wow, I like what you did there.  That is awesome.  Great mod.

Oct 17, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #1,943 of 3,819
can you hear any hiss using he-500 with a-100 mini ?? is it dead silent when there is no music playing ??

I notice a very slight hiss with my he500 and a-100.  Extremely minor though to the point that if there is anything else in the room (like the fan from a computer) you can't really hear it.

On another note, I notice that if I put my ear very close to the a-100, I can hear a buzz coming from the toroidal transformer.  Is this normal?  I just picked this up used and wondering if there may be an issue or if it is a common thing.  It doesn't seem to affect the sound or function at all, and I have to literally put my ear to the case to hear it.  Doing a google search, it seems this is common with toroidal transformers?

Thanks

I also hear a very slight hiss with the emotiva mini-x and HE-500. From reading this entire thread I believe they all have a small noise floor, but that the people claiming they hear nothing either don't have as sensitive hearing or have not actively listened for it at 0 volume. It does get much louder towards 2 on the dial, but with a normal dac you shouldn't need the volume that high. That's my take on it for what it's worth.

Oct 17, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #1,944 of 3,819
I also hear a very slight hiss with the emotiva mini-x and HE-500. From reading this entire thread I believe they all have a small noise floor, but that the people claiming they hear nothing either don't have as sensitive hearing or have not actively listened for it at 0 volume. It does get much louder towards 2 on the dial, but with a normal dac you shouldn't need the volume that high. That's my take on it for what it's worth.

+1.  From my reading through the thread, it seems like a very common noise floor.  But as Shazb0t mentioned, it has to be zero and listening for it.  If you aren't looking for it, you would probably not notice it.

I read that some have put in resistors in the path to quiet the noise floor, but IMO, it isn't necessary for the HE500.

On a slightly related note, I added a Tripath TA2024 based amp card to my TEAC UD-H01 balanced DAC to drive my HE-500 headphones. The amp has lots of overhead, I listen at 9 - 10 o'clock position and it's dead silent at full volume. It sounds very good, even compared to the Schiit Mjolnir.

The how-to thread is here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/684169/tripath-ta2024-amp-board-as-balanced-headphone-amp-in-teac-ud-h01-dac

Wow, very nice mod.  So tempting.... :)

Oct 17, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #1,945 of 3,819

Interesting.  I will try to hunt for that noise at 0 volume when I get home tonite.  While my ears are not the best but they are pretty decent at picking things up.

Oct 17, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #1,946 of 3,819

Nice functionality from TEAC. Don't think a lot of people have that unit though. Any comparisons to that little beauty under it? 
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #1,947 of 3,819

With my current setup,Optical output => Teac UD-501 DAC => Mini-x=> front plate mounted 1/4" TRS, I have no hiss no noise at all.   The only time I could hear audible hum is when the volume knob passes 2 - 3 o'clock which is more than 2x the listening volume as I often listen at right around 9 o'clock.

As far as I can remember, I didn't detect an audible hiss. But my fan was on and this might have drowned the hissing. I listen at 10-11 o clock if I remembered right. I'll listen again later at night and over the weekend. I actually feel sad that I have to go to work and leave the setup at home. Maybe I can bring it to work...

Oct 17, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #1,949 of 3,819
  Wheee! Emotiva refunded me USD50 based on the current sale price. Its has really been a pleasure to be doing business with them. Fast delivery too.

hey, do I get $25 then?  I'll PM you my paypal account.  
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back