HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Oct 10, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #1,911 of 3,819
Originally Posted by preproman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would if I was you.  Great closed headphone.  Don't compare to HE-6, LCD-3, or HD800s but will compare to all closed headphones very well.

They do look great.

6 week backorder though. Wish I could just pick it up as I only live 5 minutes away from the MrSpeakers place 
tongue.gif

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #1,912 of 3,819

They do look great.

6 week backorder though. Wish I could just pick it up as I only live 5 minutes away from the MrSpeakers place 
tongue.gif

A night time raid should work normally, but I heard Dan has ninjas on the roof watching 24/7 for something like that.

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #1,913 of 3,819
Yes. But the volume control on the Emotiva will only affect the headphones being a non-variable line out. The speakers being active will have their own volume control....so no worries there.

Alright thank you very much! I already commissioned a local guy to make me a 6.3 to banana plugs adapter. He said I was crazy for wanting to hook my headphones up to a speaker amp. Haha! Ordering the amp later. Hopefully they arrive together.

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #1,916 of 3,819
Hi All
Quick question about power up and down the Emotiva and having the HE500's connected.

I just recently picked up an Emotiva and HE500.  Using a 4-pin XLR to banana plug adapter.  Sounds really nice.

Now what I've been doing is power on the amp, and then plugging the HE500's into the 4-pin XLR.  Basically, I've always read that it is a good idea to turn the amp on (any amp) first, and then plug in the headphones.  Same thing in reverse - unplug the headphones first and then power the amp off.

Is there any harm in doing this?  Do any of you leave your headphones connected all the time to the Emotiva (i.e. during both power on and power off cycles)?.  I'm just cautious on any sudden pops or surges that happen when the amp is turned on or off.  Since the Emotiva has so much power, it could damaged the headphones.

Just curious as to what others do and what I should be doing? :)

Thanks

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #1,917 of 3,819
  Hi All
Quick question about power up and down the Emotiva and having the HE500's connected.

I just recently picked up an Emotiva and HE500.  Using a 4-pin XLR to banana plug adapter.  Sounds really nice.

Now what I've been doing is power on the amp, and then plugging the HE500's into the 4-pin XLR.  Basically, I've always read that it is a good idea to turn the amp on (any amp) first, and then plug in the headphones.  Same thing in reverse - unplug the headphones first and then power the amp off.

Is there any harm in doing this?  Do any of you leave your headphones connected all the time to the Emotiva (i.e. during both power on and power off cycles)?.  I'm just cautious on any sudden pops or surges that happen when the amp is turned on or off.  Since the Emotiva has so much power, it could damaged the headphones.

Just curious as to what others do and what I should be doing? :)

Thanks

The procedure you mention is a very safe way to handle your gear. And good advice for people in general. Having said that I leave my headphones connected all the time, powering off and on. However, I make sure the volume is at zero when I do this. I think the Emotiva has safety built in, and so far I haven't blown up anything which is a good sign after five months of use.

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #1,918 of 3,819
The procedure you mention is a very safe way to handle your gear. And good advice for people in general. Having said that I leave my headphones connected all the time, powering off and on. However, I make sure the volume is at zero when I do this. I think the Emotiva has safety built in, and so far I haven't blown up anything which is a good sign after five months of use.
I do the same. I even went so far as to contact emotiva and they advised me that there is protection built in and leaving the HE-500s plugged in during power cycling is safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back