HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Oct 10, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #1,891 of 3,819

I think Mohdkhamsyawas looking at going from 3.5mm jack to speaker taps. Not sure how that affects using the Emotiva amp regarding common 3.5mm jack ground.

There are some good DIYers here that could get you some full cables and adapters for when you feel like using a speaker amp. Or BTG audio seems to be another popular one. Q-cables? Yes the Emotiva would have cost me more than half the price in shipping alone - probably sooner get that than the Marantz still. But for $100 it is quite cheap. Is the Marantz in good condition? Refurb'd? Do you want to use its inbuilt DAC? What headphones are you using?

I'm using the he500s. I dont mind reterminating my cables to xlr and have xlr to banana adapters. But I'd prefer to have an adapter ready made for my current 3.5mm jack. The Marantz is used. I dont know the condition but the seller rated them as 'in working condition'. Its ridiculously cheap. I plan to use it purely as an amp. I have the nfb 11.32 right now and I can use this as a DAC. The amp section has power. More than 1Wpc if I remembered right. But I'm not satisfied with the bass. Its deep, but I feel that it could use with a little more body.

Oct 10, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #1,892 of 3,819

I'm using the he500s. I dont mind reterminating my cables to xlr and have xlr to banana adapters. But I'd prefer to have an adapter ready made for my current 3.5mm jack. The Marantz is used. I dont know the condition but the seller rated them as 'in working condition'. Its ridiculously cheap. I plan to use it purely as an amp. I have the nfb 11.32 right now and I can use this as a DAC. The amp section has power. More than 1Wpc if I remembered right. But I'm not satisfied with the bass. Its deep, but I feel that it could use with a little more body.

Just be careful that it doesn't only work for a few weeks and then goes 'kaput'. And then cost of refurb starts to seep in leaving you with the realisation that the Emotiva might have been a better choice. Be careful. I would try local places/used items. Do you have a Singapore audio forum with used gear on there?

The 11.32 has a 2 ohm output impedance - you might possibly enjoy higher impedance and the effect it has on the perceived frequency response. Not sure if you can test any locally. 

Kingwa seems to have excellently priced products. At 36ohm (HE-500) the 11.32 should be seeing close to 2W on the headphone output (I assume total which would mean, yes 1WPC). The Marantz on the speaker jacks would be seeing roughly 13W per channel...

Oct 10, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #1,893 of 3,819

Possibly consider a Topping TP60 amp. It has 50wpc @8ohms. Only cost about $210 in the US. Someone describe it was a pretty neutral sounding amp so maybe too lean on the bass for you, but still something worth considering.

If the mini-x is really that good (never heard one myself), then it should be a real bargain even at $300. Vintage does have it own problems.

Oct 10, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #1,894 of 3,819

Possibly consider a Topping TP60 amp. It has 50wpc @8ohms. Only cost about $210 in the US. Someone describe it was a pretty neutral sounding amp so maybe too lean on the bass for you, but still something worth considering.

If the mini-x is really that good (never heard one myself), then it should be a real bargain even at $300. Vintage does have it own problems.

Ah yes. I'll have a look at that good sir. If the Marantz isn't up to scratch, then I guess I'll just have to trust this thread and buy the emotiva anyways. :-D

Just be careful that it doesn't only work for a few weeks and then goes 'kaput'. And then cost of refurb starts to seep in leaving you with the realisation that the Emotiva might have been a better choice. Be careful. I would try local places/used items. Do you have a Singapore audio forum with used gear on there?

The 11.32 has a 2 ohm output impedance - you might possibly enjoy higher impedance and the effect it has on the perceived frequency response. Not sure if you can test any locally. 

Kingwa seems to have excellently priced products. At 36ohm (HE-500) the 11.32 should be seeing close to 2W on the headphone output (I assume total which would mean, yes 1WPC). The Marantz on the speaker jacks would be seeing roughly 13W per channel...

Its a local seller. I've contacted him. Maybe he'll let me audition it. He sent some pictures already. Damn its huge!

Oct 10, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #1,895 of 3,819
Price + Shipping = 300USD?

That's actually not far from what I paid, and I'm in Canada.
In their defense, it got here in 3-4 days, so I'm not complaining...it's just that they won't let you downgrade the shipping option, no matter what.

Oct 10, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #1,896 of 3,819
  Price + Shipping = 300USD?

That's actually not far from what I paid, and I'm in Canada.
In their defense, it got here in 3-4 days, so I'm not complaining...it's just that they won't let you downgrade the shipping option, no matter what.

Really!? Where does this thing ship from anyway? Guess I'm complaining a bit too much then. Lol. Ya its fedex. You should expect that kind of speed.

Oct 10, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #1,897 of 3,819
I still have my old Fedex tracking number saved in an email - it seems they ship right from their headquarters in Franklin, Tennessee.

To clarify - the exact price was in fact 269.62USD.

Oct 10, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #1,898 of 3,819
  I still have my old Fedex tracking number saved in an email - it seems they ship right from their headquarters in Franklin, Tennessee.

To clarify - the exact price was in fact 269.62USD.

Aaaah. Okay. They quoted me $295. Which considering the delivery speed and the size of the package, isn't that bad. I do regret not getting it when it was cheaper though. I guess I might just get the Emotiva anyways.
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 10, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #1,899 of 3,819
You're not getting it at the sale price -
blink.gif
 doh, of course. My quote was actually during one of their sales last year so the unit was $160 only. Why the heck is it that you'd have to pay less shipping than me? o.o Did I just get royally screwed? 

Well it's been a year, so tough luck for me.

Oct 10, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #1,900 of 3,819
  You're not getting it at the sale price -
blink.gif
 doh, of course. My quote was actually during one of their sales last year so the unit was $160 only. Why the heck is it that you'd have to pay less shipping than me? o.o Did I just get royally screwed? 

Well it's been a year, so tough luck for me.

You used your 6666th post for a whine?
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 10, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #1,901 of 3,819
Well since we are sharing quotes - I was quoted $340 (219 for amp, 120 for shipping). This was mid last year mind you and I missed the $189 specials. So things might have changed now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back