HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Sep 19, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #1,846 of 3,819
  I've had it go into safety (fault mode, if you will - where the light turns orange) before. I can only recall two instances though. One was when my laptop ran out of batteries and the ODAC powered through USB got forcefully shut off. Luckily I didn't have my headphones attached at the time. The other instance was during a meet, when someone had accidentally turned it on at 4'o clock. Luckily, my headphones were still fine. 

I'd check to see if the ODAC is having problems as that's what caused the orange lights last time.

Interesting, I'll plug the Mini-x into my D100 instead and see if it still has issues. 

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #1,848 of 3,819
Thank you for all the help that has been posted in this thread. Been interesting to lurk it.

I should be buying a Emotiva Mini X and Hifiman HE-500's myself soon. This is my first serious headphone rig after using the MDR V6 for so long. I've done the research to know I want the HE-500.

Does anyone have a good dac to recommend with the Mini X and Hifiman? I can budget up to $800 NZ Dollars. I listen to trip hop, kpop, pop, alternative rock, progressive rock, DnB, Psy Trance, Post Rock and a bit of dark ambient.

I'm also thinking of ordering the Alpha Dog for a closed pair for when needed to be quiet. Will the alpha dog be ok with the Mini X?  I know its just about to release ofc.

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #1,849 of 3,819
  Thank you for all the help that has been posted in this thread. Been interesting to lurk it.

I should be buying a Emotiva Mini X and Hifiman HE-500's myself soon. This is my first serious headphone rig after using the MDR V6 for so long. I've done the research to know I want the HE-500.

Does anyone have a good dac to recommend with the Mini X and Hifiman? I can budget up to $800 NZ Dollars. I listen to trip hop, kpop, pop, alternative rock, progressive rock, DnB, Psy Trance, Post Rock and a bit of dark ambient.

I'm also thinking of ordering the Alpha Dog for a closed pair for when needed to be quiet. Will the alpha dog be ok with the Mini X?  I know its just about to release ofc.

Concero is what I recommend. I have it with the mini-X and HE-500 and the combination is sublime.

Sep 21, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #1,851 of 3,819
Been enjoying my LCD-2 from the Emotiva. Yes the Emotiva can drive these well too. Very energetic and the dynamic slam is powerful, clean fast transients and nice extension both ways. I think the amp benefits the HE-500 more, but certainly pretty awesome with the LCD-2 as well.

Now that I've gotten a taste for all this power I'm thinking about upping the game and getting the Precision 1. 16Watts into the HE-500 
devil_face.gif

And then it's HE-6 time!

Sep 21, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #1,852 of 3,819
  Been enjoying my LCD-2 from the Emotiva. Yes the Emotiva can drive these well too. Very energetic and the dynamic slam is powerful, clean fast transients and nice extension both ways. I think the amp benefits the HE-500 more, but certainly pretty awesome with the LCD-2 as well.

Now that I've gotten a taste for all this power I'm thinking about upping the game and getting the Precision 1. 16Watts into the HE-500 
devil_face.gif

And then it's HE-6 time!

I would be interested if some did use the Precision 1 with their Hifimans. Are there any users out there?

Sep 21, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #1,853 of 3,819

devil_face.gif

And then it's HE-6 time!

:) Pretty please! I'm tossed up between getting a precision and a Mjolnir... 

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #1,854 of 3,819

As motioned above the Concero would be a good choice.  I choose the Ciunas DAC over the Concero for my Emotiva setup.  You really can't go wrong with either one.

The Alpha Dogs sound pretty darn good on the Emotiva.  My setup will be Alpha Dog --> Ciunas DAC --> Emotiva mini-X

Thinking really hard on that precision though.  It should be a good upgrade to the Emotiva.

I know the precision would be an upgrade to the Emotiva.  If it wasn't so darn big I might consider it.  How much is the precision anyway?

The precision is a current stage amp.  That should work very well with orthos.  I'm thinking it will give more body to the HiFimans  (HE-6)  Something the MJ couldn't do for me.

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #1,855 of 3,819

I know the precision would be an upgrade to the Emotiva.  If it wasn't so darn big I might consider it.  How much is the precision anyway?

The precision is a current stage amp.  That should work very well with orthos.  I'm thinking it will give more body to the HiFimans  (HE-6)  Something the MJ couldn't do for me.

I think the price was around $550 for the precision, which makes them very similarly priced. 

I was going to pick one or the other not just for the HE-6, but for my higher end headphone collection. I don't have a pair of HE-6 anymore. I was planning on buying whatever flagship comes out next from Fang instead 
biggrin.gif
. But after buying some monitors, I haven't put too many headphones on. 

Sep 23, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #1,857 of 3,819

I think the price was around $550 for the precision, which makes them very similarly priced. 

I was going to pick one or the other not just for the HE-6, but for my higher end headphone collection. I don't have a pair of HE-6 anymore. I was planning on buying whatever flagship comes out next from Fang instead 
biggrin.gif
. But after buying some monitors, I haven't put too many headphones on. 

elwappo99,
You got a link for the precision amp?  I am curious and tried to google it but came up with mumbo jumbo.  Thx.

Sep 23, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #1,859 of 3,819

Users who are viewing this thread

Back