HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Sep 14, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #1,816 of 3,819
Everyone says these connectors are garbage, but I don't really see what's so wrong with them. Is it that they will break easily? Or that they aren't as universal with cables as LCD-2 etc because they don't end in a mini-xlr?

The screwing mechanism seems quite prone to breaking - I've seen it on my pair, and almost every demo pair in every store I've been to with these. Not to mention the connectors are so long, and simply jut straight downwards. The lack of a strain relief means that the point of contact between the cable and the connector is prone to a ton of stress - if you're still using the stock Canares cable, that means the cables starts fraying.

Mind you, this was taken 7 months ago. It's gotten markedly worse.

The mini-XLRs are just less of a hassle. Being angled like on my Audeze would be even more welcome of a change.

Sep 14, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #1,817 of 3,819
Get loose overtime??? My stock connectors don't even move since I had them in. After sleeving it and converting the plug to 4 pin Xlr, I don't see anything wrong with it. And yes, I m not one who believes in cable magic as long as they are functional and meets my realistic expectation of comfort.
Exactly my point. Haha. I don't believe in it too much either, and the connectors seem perfectly fine as long as you don't put these headphones through rough environments, which you shouldn't be expected to do either. I do have the stock transparent cable.

Sep 14, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #1,818 of 3,819
Get loose overtime??? My stock connectors don't even move since I had them in. After sleeving it and converting the plug to 4 pin Xlr, I don't see anything wrong with it. And yes, I m not one who believes in cable magic as long as they are functional and meets my realistic expectation of comfort.

Not the connectors on the headphone itself. I meant the stock headphone cable got loose over time because of the tangling. My HPL cable helped a lot in this regard.

Sep 14, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #1,819 of 3,819

Mine have come loose a couple of times (takes a few months though), however that is not my biggest gripe. My complaint is that you have to twist the connectors on in the first place. If they came with quick release fitting that would be fine, but they don't, so I don't like them (just my opinion of the connectors).

Out of all the other headphones with detachable cables, I find the HiFiMan ones the worst. As for cable magic, I'm not one to buy into it either. The only reason I got aftermarket cables was because of the terrible microphonics I had with the stock silver cable. 

Sep 14, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #1,820 of 3,819
Mine have come loose a couple of times (takes a few months though), however that is not my biggest gripe. My complaint is that you have to twist the connectors on in the first place. If they came with quick release fitting that would be fine, but they don't, so I don't like them (just my opinion of the connectors).

Out of all the other headphones with detachable cables, I find the HiFiMan ones the worst. As for cable magic, I'm not one to buy into it either. The only reason I got aftermarket cables was because of the terrible microphonics I had with the stock silver cable. 
The way I've been attaching mine is not to spin the nut, but to twist the cable left a little, connect it, then twist the cable right. It seems to work fine, and gets rid of the fidgeting that people hate.

Sep 14, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #1,821 of 3,819

Out of all the other headphones with detachable cables, I find the HiFiMan ones the worst. As for cable magic, I'm not one to buy into it either. The only reason I got aftermarket cables was because of the terrible microphonics I had with the stock silver cable

That's why I sleeved mine and converted it to terminate to 4pin XLR at the same time.  Everything seems perfectly fine now.  Do I wish for a quick release connector?  Sure that would be nice but in my case, not necessary yet.

Sep 14, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #1,822 of 3,819
The screwing mechanism seems quite prone to breaking - I've seen it on my pair, and almost every demo pair in every store I've been to with these. Not to mention the connectors are so long, and simply jut straight downwards. The lack of a strain relief means that the point of contact between the cable and the connector is prone to a ton of stress - if you're still using the stock Canares cable, that means the cables starts fraying.

Mind you, this was taken 7 months ago. It's gotten markedly worse.

The mini-XLRs are just less of a hassle. Being angled like on my Audeze would be even more welcome of a change.

This I would definitely agree with

Sep 15, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #1,823 of 3,819
I don't like tiny screw type cable connector of the Hifiman. BUT I haven't had any problem with them. It may have to do with the fact that once my cables are in place I rarely, if ever, screw them off. They're always connected and I take care not to put stress on the connectors in anyway. I think they came loose like once in my entire period of ownership of over a year. So yeah for me they work fine.

As for headphone cables making a difference I think they do. A little bit, but that little bit is important to me somewhat. It's hard to explain but it takes the rough edges of music away a bit, smoothes out the attacks so they're bearable for a longer period. It's a subtle thing, but something I like having. Also I think the resolution increases a tiniy bit too, like the micro details stands out a little more. Again all very subtle, but I invested a little money on cables. Nothing fancy of course but hey this hobby is like that. None of the spending makes any sense at all.

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #1,825 of 3,819
I still waiting for an impression with Emotiva mini-X A-100 and HD800 
size]

Sep 15, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #1,829 of 3,819

Naw - not a good match.  Look else where for a better amp to pair with the HD800s..

Per M-13's request, I have personally verified this and to my ears, it's a no go.  The HD800 sounds better from the little crack than Emotiva.
This makes me wonder how good HD800 would sound with the S.E.X.  Any owner of both here?

Sep 15, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #1,830 of 3,819

Per M-13's request, I have personally verified this and to my ears, it's a no go.  The HD800 sounds better from the little crack than Emotiva.
This makes me wonder how good HD800 would sound with the S.E.X.  Any owner of both here?

I believe I read somewhere the crack was better than the SEX. The SEX is mainly meant as a speaker amplifier with a low output impedance, where the crack is meant for high impedance headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back