HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Feb 22, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #766 of 3,819
anyone else getting white noise on their emotiva ?     or is it my particular amp?

audible at 8 o'clock when music not on.  louder in the right channel.  kind of annoying.  not my source, and tried switching outlets, to no avail

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #767 of 3,819
Quote:
anyone else getting white noise on their emotiva ?     or is it my particular amp?

audible at 8 o'clock when music not on.  louder in the right channel.  kind of annoying.  not my source, and tried switching outlets, to no avail

Nope. Dead silent with headphones and speakers at any volume, with or without any music playing. Try calling up Emotiva for a quick fix or maybe send them back for repair/replacement? I'd personally get annoyed of any sound, especially from a solid state.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #768 of 3,819
Quote:
Does anyone make a 4-pin-xlr to female trs 1/4 ?  Could there be a reason why, if they are not produced ?

I have not been able to find the item.

Quote:

Not even sure that would work..

My understanding is that the xlr is balanced and has no shared ground. Versus a trs has a shared ground and would defeat the purpose of using a xlr connector. As soon as a trs is introduced, the amp better have a shared ground for the speaker connections.

Am I correct in this thinking?

Feb 23, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #769 of 3,819
Quote:

try it at 4 in the afternoon

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #770 of 3,819
Quote:

My understanding is that the xlr is balanced and has no shared ground. Versus a trs has a shared ground and would defeat the purpose of using a xlr connector. As soon as a trs is introduced, the amp better have a shared ground for the speaker connections.

Am I correct in this thinking?

Yes you are correct. Because the miniX has a shared internal common ground you can make an adaptor from a TRS jack and it will work fine or you can have the grounds separated and it will also work. It is very important to make sure the grounds are common on the amp when you are planning to use TRS to speaker taps adaptor. 

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #771 of 3,819
Quote:

There..  I fixed it for you.  Get this instead.

Is it commercially available?
It will be very nice and ecomonical without HE adpater.
regular_smile .gif

How can I get it.

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #774 of 3,819
What a wonderful thread! Introductions aside, I've read every single post in this thread..and I'd like to ask a few questions..

1. Can there be a general consensus pertaining to the most efficient (least number of interconnects : cost) method of connecting the 500's to the miniX? Off the top of my head there is:

1. DIRECTLY CONNECTING HEADPHONES TO SPEAKERS VIA HEADPHONES STRAIGHT TO BANANA PLUG (read there should NOT be a safety concern for the mini) -----OR----- HEADPHONES TO MALE XLR TO FEMALE XLR TO BANANA PLUGS ----OR----- A SERIES OF RCA INTERCONNECTS TERMINATING TO SPEAKER WIRES​ (potential quality issue?)

2. Would there be a noticeable increase in TECHNICAL QUALITY, not just flavor, by adding a TubeMagic D1 or D2 (as preamp) to the whole mix? Mal really likes his tube --> tube setup...but if I bought a tube it would only be one...so would only one be worth 200-250 bucks? Also, assuming I decided to buy the D1 or D2..is there really a difference between the 2 versions aside from extraneous features that might be virtuously useless in this chain? 

3. Now I'd like to talk more connections 
smile.gif
 How would the whole setup look like? 

1.   Computer --> D1 or D2 via USB // D1 or D2 --> Mini-X via ??? // Mini-X --> HE-500's via ??? 

OR

1. Computer --> Mini-X via ??? // Mini-X --> HE-500's via ???

I would really love feedback from the OP and the members who have been supporting this thread for the last couple of months 
beerchug.gif

-Much love  

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #776 of 3,819
Quote:
What a wonderful thread! Introductions aside, I've read every single post in this thread..and I'd like to ask a few questions..

1. Can there be a general consensus pertaining to the most efficient (least number of interconnects : cost) method of connecting the 500's to the miniX? Off the top of my head there is:

1. DIRECTLY CONNECTING HEADPHONES TO SPEAKERS VIA HEADPHONES STRAIGHT TO BANANA PLUG (read there should NOT be a safety concern for the mini) -----OR----- HEADPHONES TO MALE XLR TO FEMALE XLR TO BANANA PLUGS ----OR----- A SERIES OF RCA INTERCONNECTS TERMINATING TO SPEAKER WIRES​ (potential quality issue?)

2. Would there be a noticeable increase in TECHNICAL QUALITY, not just flavor, by adding a TubeMagic D1 or D2 (as preamp) to the whole mix? Mal really likes his tube --> tube setup...but if I bought a tube it would only be one...so would only one be worth 200-250 bucks? Also, assuming I decided to buy the D1 or D2..is there really a difference between the 2 versions aside from extraneous features that might be virtuously useless in this chain? 

3. Now I'd like to talk more connections 
smile.gif
 How would the whole setup look like? 

1.   Computer --> D1 or D2 via USB // D1 or D2 --> Mini-X via ??? // Mini-X --> HE-500's via ??? 

OR

1. Computer --> Mini-X via ??? // Mini-X --> HE-500's via ???

I would really love feedback from the OP and the members who have been supporting this thread for the last couple of months 
beerchug.gif

-Much love  

I think the mini X (amp) and D2 (DAC) would be a good system.  However, I would just use the volume control on the mini X.  This will use the less possible connections as possible.

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #777 of 3,819
Quote:

I think the mini X (amp) and D2 (DAC) would be a good system.  However, I would just use the volume control on the mini X.  This will use the less possible connections as possible.

I think that somewhere in the back of my mind...I already knew that "consensus" is not a practical term to use in these forums. 
rolleyes.gif

Well, after posting I noticed that the D2 doesn't have volume control or anything...would you mind explaining a little more about my pre-amp options? Since I'm only using the D1 OR the D2...would the D1 be a better choice for a pre-amp since it has volume controls? And could the D2 even function as a stand-alone pre-amp? 

Also, I took a look at BTG....everything considered, what do you think about a cable terminating in a 1/4" female adapter and male 4 pin XLR (is that possible?) and then ordering a female 4 pin XLR to banana plugs...

Do you personally think that is better or worse than a full recabling and going straight from the headphone connects to 4 pin XLR? 

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #778 of 3,819
Quote:
I think that somewhere in the back of my mind...I already knew that "consensus" is not a practical term to use in these forums. 
rolleyes.gif

Well, after posting I noticed that the D2 doesn't have volume control or anything...would you mind explaining a little more about my pre-amp options? Since I'm only using the D1 OR the D2...would the D1 be a better choice for a pre-amp since it has volume controls? And could the D2 even function as a stand-alone pre-amp? 

Also, I took a look at BTG....everything considered, what do you think about a cable terminating in a 1/4" female adapter and male 4 pin XLR (is that possible?) and then ordering a female 4 pin XLR to banana plugs...

Do you personally think that is better or worse than a full recabling and going straight from the headphone connects to 4 pin XLR? 

You dan't need a preamp with the mini X - unless you want to use multiple sources.  Then again.  How many inputs does the D2 DAC have anyway?

I get all my headphones re cabled..  hard wired at the headphone drive  --  Terminated to a 4-pin XLR.  See

Users who are viewing this thread

Back