HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Jan 25, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #3,781 of 3,819
  Hi,

I have connected my HE 500 to my amp ( ARC V70 ). But have not read all the 252 pages but a lot of it :)
My concern is should I ad a resistor to match 8 ohm or not, should I just leave it and play?

Kindly Regards

Jan

From what I've read so far you shouldn't need any resistors unless you start throwing more power at it

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #3,782 of 3,819
But is the load not too much for the amp?
As I can see on page 6 and a couple of pages forward some suggest one or more resistors.
I'm about to buy a case to house the plug and wires to the amp :blush:
So could I order the resistors the same time :wink:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 25, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #3,783 of 3,819
You're experiencing a common confusion about load impedance and "load".

The "load" is greater when the impedance of the load is LOWER - because, for a given voltage, the lower the impedance, the HIGHER the amount of current, and the GREATER the amount of power, that is required to drive it. So, for example, an 8 ohm speaker is much MORE of a load than a 32 ohm pair of headphones, and a 600 ohm pair of headphones is a very light load (and I've never heard of a pair of headphones that had an impedance of less than the 4 0hms that most amplifiers are rated to run quite happily). Therefore, for pretty much any speaker amplifier, a pair of headphones is a very minimum load...

The reason for the resistors is that all amplifiers have a minimum base amount of noise at their output. Since headphones are usually much more sensitive than speakers, an amount of hiss that might be totally inaudible with speakers might be annoying with headphones. The resistors reduce both the signal level and the noise; this reduces the level of the potentially annoying noise; since the amplifier can deliver lots more signal than the headphones need, the fact that the resistor reduces the signal by the same amount doesn't really matter much at all.

Quote:
But is the load not too much for the amp?
As I can see on page 6 and a couple of pages forward some suggest one or more resistors.
I'm about to buy a case to house the plug and wires to the amp :blush:
So could I order the resistors the same time :wink:

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #3,785 of 3,819
There are two reasons why you would want to add resistors:

1) If there is a steady background hiss that is always there, and is annoying enough for you to want to fix it.

2) If the amplifier's gain is so high that you can only move the volume control a tiny way up before you reach normal listening levels, and so you can't control the volume very well, or there is a channel mismatch (which is normal with the volume control just a few degrees off the bottom stop).

As long as you're not having either of these problems, then you don't need extra resistors....
beerchug.gif

Quote:
So you will recommend not to buy a set off resistors and just play happily on?

Jan 25, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #3,786 of 3,819
Thanks for the reply and it gives a lot of sense :blush:
I have tried it out and there is no background noise and the volume knob have a lot of control like on my MagnePlanar 1.6 does :thumbsup:
So I think I'm good with out resistors :sunglasses:

Apr 7, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #3,788 of 3,819
  For those who paired the Emotiva Mini with he-500's, have you upgraded your Mini to another Amp or stuck with it?

Im still using the Mini-X. Still havent found anything I like better for the HE-500s. Just got a Lyr and tried that that with the HD-650s and the HE-500s. Pretty sure the Lyr is getting sold. The Bottlehead Crack is still my pair with the HD-650s and the Mini-X with the HE-500s.

Oct 22, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #3,789 of 3,819
I went from there to a Schiit mjolnir for my LCD-2.2's. To be completely honest, they sounded so close I regretted buying the mjolnir. I thought about selling it, but figured if I did I would probably continue to have "upgradeitis" and keep looking for an upgrade. With the mjolnir, I can just be happy and stop thinking about amps :)

Jan 11, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #3,792 of 3,819
I am still experiencing the channel imbalance issue I noted previously and rather than spend the $75 or so to have it repaired by Emotiva, I would like to replace the potentiometer myself. Can anyone point me to a proper model number that will be a direct replacement or upgrade? I believe it uses an ALPS pot but which of the following would i need to get to replace it? 

I'm pretty sure it needs to be a 2-gang but what other specs do I need to look for? 

http://www.mouser.com/ALPS/Passive-Components/Potentiometers-Trimmers-Rheostats/Potentiometers/_/N-9q0yp?P=1yzshlvZ1z0zlgmZ1yhozxt 

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #3,793 of 3,819
  For only $200 (on sale atm) I think I'll just have to buy these for my 400i. Was originally thinking the Lyr 2, but I can use the savings for a DAC. The a-100 has an insane amount of power.

I've got both at the moment and I quite like the pairing. Right now I'm just feeding it with a modi 2 uber but I'll be getting the mimby on tuesday. The bass is just way better than it was on the magni 2 uber. So much more power.

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #3,794 of 3,819
For those who paired the Emotiva Mini with he-500's, have you upgraded your Mini to another Amp or stuck with it?

I'm still using the same setup. HE-500, re-cabled, straight into the Emotiva. It's so good, I let go of virtually everything else and have not felt the need to upgrade since I started this thread many moons ago. :)

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back