HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Oct 21, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #3,766 of 3,819
That's crazy monoprice is selling it alongside a package with their own speakers. But it does look like a rebranding. Also websites like Digital Trends where I found out about it are advertising it. http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/monoprice-affordable-hybrid-tube-amp-5-1-speakers-bluetooth-speakers/ It's one thing to have something questionable sold on ebay, but on monoprice and then shown on tech websites is rather disturbing.

Not quite sure what's "Disturbing"?  It's clearly labelled as a Hybrid amp and description:

Hit the trifecta of sound, style, and convenience with this 25-Watt Stereo Hybrid Tube Amp! The tube preamp stage adds warmth and richness that solid-state circuits can't touch, breathing new life into your digital music. The black and chrome appearance with exposed tubes gives a look of uncluttered simplicity, which looks great in any office, study, or even in the midst of the swankiest cocktail party. Featuring wired RCA and wireless Bluetooth® connections, it achieves a level of versatility and easy usability that is unsurpassed.

A well designed hybrid is not necessarily a bad thing.  You get the harmonic distortion of tube in pre-amp stage, power of solid state on output stage - at a reasonable price.  A 25 watt pure tube amp is going to cost you a helluva lot more than $200.

Oct 21, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #3,768 of 3,819
Actually, no, that wouldn't help at all - and here's why.

The way virtually all modern amplifiers work is that the amplifier itself has a fixed amount of gain - which is usually very closely matched between the channels. The signal coming in goes to the volume control, which reduces the level by some amount depending on where you set the knob, then sends the signal on to the amplifier channels, which then apply their fixed amount of gain to the reduced signal. The gain in the amplifier channels of most modern amplifiers themselves is almost perfectly identical.

Adding resistors across the output terminals will do a great job of heating up your resistors, and possibly even smoking them depending on the size and value you choose, and will make the amp run a bit warmer, but it won't affect the output level at all.

The reason you get tracking problems is that our hearing is logarithmic - and the Volume control is designed to match that - and the Volume control is where the mismatch occurs.

If the knob was linear, and marked from 0 to 10, and you had a 1V signal coming in, then setting the knob to 10 would get you 1V, 9 would get you 0.9V, 8 would get you 0.8V, etc.
However, with a logarithmic taper, setting the knob to 10 gets you 1V, setting it to 9 gets you 0.1V, setting it to 8 gets you 0.01V, setting it to 7 gets you 0.001V, etc.

The problems occur because this "uneven" taper means that the value of resistance in the element behind the knob is "all scrunched up" near the bottom of the range. This means that, when they're making the part, an mechanical error of a few degrees around 9 on the scale would be barely audible, but an error of the same few degrees around 5 would be noticeable, and the same error of a few degrees around 1 would result is a wild difference between the channels. The result is that, in order for an audio control to avoid mistracking down near the bottom of its range, it must be made with an absurd amount of precision, which translates to a major cost. (A potentiometer that tracked within a few dB down to a setting of 1 on the scale would cost hundreds of dollars - if you could even find one.) Stepped attenuators avoid this problem because they use separate resistors for each step, and so don't rely on one super-precise mechanical part.

Because all potentiometers have this accuracy problem, what you generally try to do is to arrange things so the signal level lines up in such a way that you're using the control up between 5 and 10, where even cheap controls are relatively accurate, rather than down between 0 and 1, where even expensive controls are NOT very accurate. If you're routinely using a certain amplifier with its control down below 1 or 2 on the scale, you can add an input attenuator, which will then lower the signal level by a fixed amount. This, in turn, will require you to turn the knob up higher, into its more accurate range, which is just what you want. However, this must be done at the INPUT, and not at the output. (You can buy very accurate in-line fixed attenuators, in your choice of value, for $10 or $20 each.) This is the situation you have with the Mini-X, and so you really want the input signal to be at a level where you will be using the knob in the top half of its range if you want to avoid channel mismatches.

HOWEVER, the Fusion Flex, while internally it's pretty much the same as the Mini-X, uses a digitally controlled stepped attenuator, with over 100 steps, instead of a potentiometer. Because of this, the volume control on the Fusion Flex tracks almost perfectly, even at very low settings, which makes it a better choice for driving headphones. (If your input level is too high, and you end up using only the first few steps of the volume control's range, the steps might be "too coarse" to suit you. However, if that happens, you can still reduce the input signal level using fixed attenuators; either way you won't have the channel mismatch issues you might have with a potentiometer.)
  Quote:
  So would adding a 10W 10ohm 1% resistor on each channel help w/ the volume imbalance? Basically make the amp see an 8-10ohm load. 

Run each resistor from pos to neg, one for each channel.

Oct 21, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #3,769 of 3,819
If you're routinely using a certain amplifier with its control down below 1 or 2 on the scale, you can add an input attenuator, which will then lower the signal level by a fixed amount. This, in turn, will require you to turn the knob up higher, into its more accurate range, which is just what you want. However, this must be done at the INPUT, and not at the output. (You can buy very accurate in-line fixed attenuators, in your choice of value, for $10 or $20 each.)

Or if you're like me and end up spending way too much time and money on getting DIY to work just the way it should you can look at http://www.head-fi.org/products/rolls-pm57-headphone-tap

(Reflection of my DIY skills not your suggestion
tongue_smile.gif
)

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #3,770 of 3,819
I've been using an Emo-mini-x , to power my HE500's. I just purchased a parasound zamp v.3. I bought the parasound for cosmetic reasons. It stacks better with my Zdac.
I'm using a 1/4" to banana adapter plug and I know that the amp used, should have a "Common Ground".
With that said , I'm uncertain if the Zamp is compatible.
The only info I could gather, is this pic describing the ground situation, regarding the amp.

I'm guessing that the switch on the back is the determining factor. Any help with conformation is much appreciated.
Cheers

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #3,771 of 3,819
The pic doesn't really say anything of use :)

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #3,773 of 3,819
I've been using an Emo-mini-x , to power my HE500's. I just purchased a parasound zamp v.3. I bought the parasound for cosmetic reasons. It stacks better with my Zdac.
I'm using a 1/4" to banana adapter plug and I know that the amp used, should have a "Common Ground".
With that said , I'm uncertain if the Zamp is compatible.
The only info I could gather, is this pic describing the ground situation, regarding the amp.

I'm guessing that the switch on the back is the determining factor. Any help with conformation is much appreciated.
Cheers

Something tells me there is a common ground. Esp, if the switch is set to chassis ground. 

There is no way that they would let the separate balanced amps ground on the same chassis unless they didn't know what they were doing. You should be good with the 1/4" to banana adapter! :wink:

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #3,775 of 3,819
Does anyone know which wire of the stock HE-500 cable is negative and which is positive? I will be using my spare cable to run my HE-500's off of speaker taps but cant figure out which is which. Also if by chance I can't figure this out does anyone what what would happen if they were hooked up backwards (+ wire to - terminal and vice versa)? Would be eternally grate full if someone could warn me against this before I destroy something.

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #3,776 of 3,819
  Does anyone know which wire of the stock HE-500 cable is negative and which is positive? I will be using my spare cable to run my HE-500's off of speaker taps but cant figure out which is which. Also if by chance I can't figure this out does anyone what what would happen if they were hooked up backwards (+ wire to - terminal and vice versa)? Would be eternally grate full if someone could warn me against this before I destroy something.

I use an adaptor as I don't want to destroy a HE cable. However, if you do go that route then the positives normally will be the Red and the White (red hot, white hot) and the black, green/blue as the negatives.
Like I said, I haven't cut the end off a cable to see the color scheme but the colors above are generally industry standard.
Feel free to post a picture of the wires as you see them...

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #3,777 of 3,819

I use an adaptor as I don't want to destroy a HE cable. However, if you do go that route then the positives normally will be the Red and the White (red hot, white hot) and the black, green/blue as the negatives.
Like I said, I haven't cut the end off a cable to see the color scheme but the colors above are generally industry standard.
Feel free to post a picture of the wires as you see them...

There are no colors on this wire.

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #3,778 of 3,819
If you connect the wires the wrong way, for example r+/l- things might get fishy if the amp hasn't got common ground. Else, you could invert the phase or the channels if connected wrongly

Jan 24, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #3,780 of 3,819
Hi,

I have connected my HE 500 to my amp ( ARC V70 ). But have not read all the 252 pages but a lot of it :)
My concern is should I ad a resistor to match 8 ohm or not, should I just leave it and play?

Kindly Regards

Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back