HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Feb 15, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #3,241 of 3,819

Or, as someone mentioned before on this thread somewhere I believe, you can do it with
two of these:  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010CEIH8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=18ZXCXQ9MERAB&coliid=I2JYPPSL3CX237
and one of these:  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000068O5D/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=18ZXCXQ9MERAB&coliid=I2M2IKLV6DYTNU

Which currently would run you about $27.

I remember that. You just have to be very very careful about the orientation of your banana plugs.

Feb 15, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #3,242 of 3,819
  Update: For those of you curious, I am offering to build the Robinette v3 box with black anodized metal enclosure. I need 5 people at minimum to do this economically. For those of you in the continental USA, the cost will be $94 shipped. That includes parts, labor, paypal fees and priority mail shipping.

http://robrobinette.com/RobinetteBox.htm

I have one person signed up so far, need at least 4 more.

Very interested! What would be the total cost delivered to Lisbon, Portugal?

Feb 15, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #3,243 of 3,819
so if i get a robinette box and a speaker amp, thatll be all i need to connect the headphones to the amp?  i assume ill need cables to connect the box to the amp (provided?) sorry, im terribly noob when it comes to the electronics, but it sounds convenient, and cosmetically nice too :) 

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #3,244 of 3,819
  so if i get a robinette box and a speaker amp, thatll be all i need to connect the headphones to the amp?  i assume ill need cables to connect the box to the amp (provided?) sorry, im terribly noob when it comes to the electronics, but it sounds convenient, and cosmetically nice too :) 

Yes, you will need a set of cables to connect the Amp to the Box, and another set to connect the Box to your Speakers, should you want to do this. As you say, very convenient and nice looking too! 
smile_phones.gif

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #3,245 of 3,819
Here's the Robinette Box Instructions:

Instructions

WARNING: You must set the Amplifier Mode Switch before connecting your amplifier to the Robinette Box. An incorrect switch setting can damage a balanced output amplifier and your headphones.

Before connecting the Robinette Box to an amplifier set the Amplifier Mode Switch' to match the amplifier you are connecting to. The switch is used to switch between amplifiers with single-ended output and amps with balanced output. The switch only needs to be changed when moving the Robinette Boxto a new amplifier. The switch has a latching lever to prevent accidental movement so the lever must be pulled outward slightly to change switch positions.

Set the Amplifier Mode Switch

1. Single-Ended Output Amplifier. Switch lever toward TRS headphone jacks. Use this position for amplifiers with single-ended output (common ground).  All three headphone jacks are active.

WARNING: Only use this switch position when connected to an amplifier that has its black speaker terminals tied together (common ground or single-ended). Selecting this position while connected to an amp with balanced output can damage your headphones and amplifier. You can verify the amp's black speaker terminals are tied together by using a multimeter's continuity test. With the amp unplugged touch the multimeter's probes to the black speaker terminals. If you get the continuity beep your black speaker terminals are tied together and it's safe to use the single-ended amp switch position. If you do not get continuity your amp has balanced output and you should not engage this mode. Your amp's schematic diagram will also show a ground symbol connected to the black speaker posts. More info on balanced versus single-ended amplifier output can be found here.

2. Balanced Output Amplifier with Balanced Headphones. Switch lever centered. Use this for amplifiers with balanced output (non-common ground). Only the XLR jack is active. The TRS headphone jacks' combined ground is disconnected to protect the amplifier.

3. Balanced Output Amplifier with Single-Ended Headphones. Switch lever toward XLR jack. Use this position when you need to use single-ended headphones with an amplifier that has balanced output. The balanced amplifier is protected from the TRS jacks' combined ground by resistors R5. All three headphone jacks are active.

Set the Network Bypass Switch to the Down position (resistor network active)

Switch Up = Network Bypass. XLR and TRS connectors are directly connected to the speaker binding posts.

Switch Down = Resistor Network Active. Attenuation L-pad 'Preferred Resistor Network' is switched into the circuit.

WARNING: The headphone volume will jump by 12.4 decibels when the Network Bypass Switch is moved to the Bypass position. Turn the amplifier volume down before selecting the Bypass position.

Note: With the Network Bypass Switch down (network active) it is safe to run your amplifier with no headphones connected because the amplifier will be given an 8 ohm load by the resistor network.

Connect the Robinette Box to your amplifier

With the Amplifier Mode Switch set properly connect the box to your amplifier's speaker terminals. The Robinette Box speaker binding posts will accept single and dual banana plugs, spades and raw wire up to 10 gauge. When viewing the box from the front (the end with headphone jacks) the right speaker posts are on the right and the left are on the left. The upper binding posts are for the amplifier connection, the lower binding posts are optionally used to connect your speakers.

Connect your headphones to the Robinette Box

Turn your amplifier volume full down then power it up

Turn the volume up slowly to keep from overpowering and possibly damaging your headphones. Remember to turn the amplifier volume down before changing position of the Network Bypass Switch.

Enjoy your headphones and speaker amp

The Robinette Box is open source hardware under the Creative Commons permissive license and is open to royalty-free commercial use.

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #3,246 of 3,819
Feb 15, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #3,247 of 3,819
Here is what the case will look like guys. Note that some parts may be slightly different inside because either out of stock, or to keep costs down for you. Rest assured, the specs and functions will be the same. You'll still get a 1/4 TRS locking jack, standard 1/8 TRS, and Neutrik 4-pin XLR :)

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #3,249 of 3,819
  Here is what the case will look like guys. Note that some parts may be slightly different inside because either out of stock, or to keep costs down for you. Rest assured, the specs and functions will be the same. You'll still get a 1/4 TRS locking jack, standard 1/8 TRS, and Neutrik 4-pin XLR :)

Hey Brunk, what are the enclosure's Dimensions (WxDxH)?

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #3,250 of 3,819
  Hey Brunk, what are the enclosure's Dimensions (WxDxH)?

Here's the datasheet for full dimensional specs.
http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1455N1202.pdf

Feb 15, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #3,252 of 3,819
Feb 15, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #3,253 of 3,819
2 spots left guys for a Robinette v3 box!

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #3,254 of 3,819
  2 spots left guys for a Robinette v3 box!

I would have loved to fill one spot, but I already ordered he-adapter few days back

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #3,255 of 3,819

Users who are viewing this thread

Back