HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Dec 6, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #2,522 of 3,819
Here's a graphic for a single-ended headphone resistor network interface:

Single-Ended Headphone Network

Headphone_Resistor_Netwrok_Single-Ended_Preferred.jpg

The headphone cable's shield carries the combined common ground negative signal.
A 5 watt 6 ohm Resistor2 and 3 watt 2 ohm Resistor3 will work best for the vast majority of headphones and speaker amps. The resistors should be wirewound non-inductive and cost about $2 each at Mouser.com.

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #2,524 of 3,819
Anybody got ideas on a cheap chassis for such a speaker adapter configuration?

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #2,530 of 3,819
Anybody got ideas on a cheap chassis for such a speaker adapter configuration?

I went with a black plastic 4"x5"x1.5" project box. It's not fancy but it gets the job done. I think I got it at MCM. With the connectors mounted on the long sides there's plenty of room for 5-way speaker terminals (space them at 3/4" for dual banana compatibility). The distance from XLR to speaker terminals is short enough you can use the resistor leads to make the connections simplifying your life quite a bit.

Adapter_Box.jpg

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #2,531 of 3,819
just received my HE-500 yesterday and looking for an amp for it.
Originally thinking of getting Schiit Lyr but
MalVeauX said it has almost the same sound as Lyr if not better here, and
Emotiva is having a sale on the mini-x A-100 for $169, it is a very pretty attractive price.
Is that as low as it could get?

I also like the option for having a speaker amp for expansion purpose if I get some passive speakers later on.

It seems that there is a noise issue? Is it affecting HE-500? How bad and any fix?

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #2,532 of 3,819
  Emotiva is having a sale on the mini-x A-100 for $169, it is a very pretty attractive price.
Is that as low as it could get?

I also like the option for having a speaker amp for expansion purpose if I get some passive speakers later on.

It seems that there is a noise issue? Is it affecting HE-500? How bad and any fix?

I don't think the mini-x will ever go below $169.

The HE-500 is pretty efficient so some people hear some hiss, usually only when no music is playing. If it's too much for you you can add 50 to 100 ohm resistors in series to the headphone's L+ and R+ lines to add attenuation and lower the perceived noise floor.

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #2,534 of 3,819

I don't think the mini-x will ever go below $169.

The HE-500 is pretty efficient so some people hear some hiss, usually only when no music is playing. If it's too much for you you can add 50 to 100 ohm resistors in series to the headphone's L+ and R+ lines to add attenuation and lower the perceived noise floor.

Thanks for the reply. Good to know that its the best deal for it.
Probably will give up the Schiit for these.
Does any other emotiva amp works with the HE-500?
Like XPA-200 or UPA-200 or would it be too much power for it.
Might want more than 50W for future speakers upgrade. Usually need like 150W I think.

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #2,535 of 3,819
  FWIW, I don't hear any noise on my Mini-X with my HE-500's until I get the volume knob up to about 2 o'clock.  And there is no way I would be listening to music at that volume.

Good to know that. What source are you using in that setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back