HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Dec 25, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #2,911 of 3,819
I have tried to enjoy the HD800s on the a-100. Just not working for me. They pick up on too much. Have had a couple of people try the combo and while their impressions aren't as negative, no one's come up with anything overwhelmingly positive. 

Strangely enough the HD580s sound pretty well with them, so I'd imagine it's not a dynamic thing, just a HD800 thing.

In terms of safety - will usually keep it around 9 o'clock. I have an additional 600ohm adapter lying somewhere but have not tried them together. Others have documented their usage on this thread and seems like no one's blown anything up as well.

Dec 25, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #2,912 of 3,819
I noticed that recently this thread has become an exclusive HE-500 with Emotiva discussion. How does the Emotiva pair with dynamics? Is it easy to blow things up? I got the HD800 coming in and would like to see how my Quickie+Emotiva system sounds through it but I don't want to risk damaging it.

Hd800+Mini x != good pairing;

Dec 25, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #2,913 of 3,819
I am a fan of the Class T amps. The Lepai has tone controls with a bypass switch and true balanced output. Connect a pair of balanced headphones and be amazed. Seriously. There's very little difference between my TA2024 based amp and the Mjolnir. Of course I'm an old pilot so maybe my hearing isn't what it should be.

True balanced output? Please explain then we can talk about ur hearing next :D

Dec 25, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #2,914 of 3,819
Dec 25, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #2,915 of 3,819
I kinda dont like how the distortion rise as the class t amps are pushed. I mean the 2020 is like 20 watt, 10% harmonic distortion as I remember

Dec 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #2,916 of 3,819
Did anyone try one of the more powerful Tripath chips (eg. TA2022, TA2070, TK2050) with HE-500?

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #2,917 of 3,819

Didn't even realize it was a true balanced Push/Pull amp. Considering most balanced headphone amps start at $500+, that's an awesome tidbit of knowledge to know.

All of the Class T's are the same way correct? 2020, 2021, and 2024? 

I have tried the TA2024 in a generic Chinese board and the TA2020 in a Lapai. Both sound great with my balanced HE-500, K240 Studios and modified T50RP headphones.

From my TEAC UD-HD01 Balanced DAC/Head amp mod:

Tripath Low Power Amp Chips

Push-Pull With Balanced Output
TA2020 20 watts into 4 Ohms in the Topping TP20 MKII
TA2021 25 watts into 4 Ohms In the Topping TP21
TA2024 15 watts into 4 Ohms in the Topping TP10
TK2050 50 watts in the Topping TP22
TK2051 50 watts
TK2070 70 watts
Single-Ended With Unbalanced Output
TA2022
TK2019

The Tripath TA2024 Balanced Output Push Pull Amplifier

TA2024Schematic.jpg

The Tripath TA2024 amplifier chip is a true balanced output push-pull amp. But it does use unbalanced input because the inputs use a common ground (left side of schematic).

The TA2022 Single-Ended Amp With Unbalanced Output

TA2022Schematic.jpg

The Tripath TA2022 is a single-ended amplifier and uses unbalanced output. Note how one side of the speaker is connected to ground (common ground) so only the speaker's + terminal receives an amplified signal. The amp chip's input is also unbalanced (has common ground).

I kinda dont like how the distortion rise as the class t amps are pushed. I mean the 2020 is like 20 watt, 10% harmonic distortion as I remember

You don't have to push them with the HE-500 or hard to drive modified T50RPs. Volume is at 9 to 9:30 as loud as I can stand with the low power TA2024 amp.

Keep in mind these balanced TA amps cannot be connected to a single ended headphone, but if you ever wanted to try balanced operation this is a very inexpensive way to try. The sound quality is seriously good.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #2,918 of 3,819
^ Thx for the schematic! That explains the "balanced" aspect.  Though, it's not a true balanced from in to out, it's still pretty good.
I also agree with you when it comes to not having to worry about distortion level driving HE500.  

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #2,919 of 3,819
I like having you here in this thread, robrob. In your speaker amp adapter box, are you sure it is enough to seperate the 2 negative channels by 10 ohm resistors? How will this affect sound, except for the increased output resistance?

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #2,920 of 3,819
And never ever connect a balanced amp to a TRS plug. Even with resistors tying the grounds together that's still potentially asking for trouble.

Quote:

Most amps will increase in distortion when pushed hard. The simple solution here is to not do that
tongue.gif
The 2020 will put 2.5W into an HE-500 which is a ton of power already.

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #2,921 of 3,819
  I like having you here in this thread, robrob. In your speaker amp adapter box, are you sure it is enough to seperate the 2 negative channels by 10 ohm resistors? How will this affect sound, except for the increased output resistance?

I think it's a really bad idea that switch is even there in the first place. Attaching a balanced (or fully differential, whatever you want to call it) amp to that box is just a recipe for disaster. An accidental bump of the switch or someone who doesn't fully understand, and boom you're gonna let the magic smoke out.

Even with a single ended amp, I'm not fond of the idea of tapping a TRS directly off it because TRS connections will frequently short between sleeve and ring when you're inserting or removing the plug. A series resistor will protect the amp, but pooches your damping factor for dynamics headphones. Using a TRS jack with switching contacts might be marginally better depending how the contacts are made.

Dec 25, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #2,922 of 3,819
Mini-X arrived and I'm enjoying it with the Alpha Dogs via balanced adapter.  I was thinking of trying it with my single-ended HD800 but maybe not based on TwinQY impressions of the combo.  Anyone try the Can Opener with singled-ended terminated headphones on speaker amps?  I didn't a find a reference using the search function.    http://www.vinylflat.com/canopener.html with single

Dec 25, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #2,923 of 3,819
Merry Christmas to all!

I will be building a little resistor box for this and my Millenia MG3 amp. I have been playing around with Robrob's resistor calculator and had a quick question. Using 7/1 ohm resistors instead of 6/2 seem to have a lower headphone output impedance and also a effective speaker load closer to 8. apart from 18db of atenuation compared to 12.5 would this not be better? I dont understand half of what im saying so please feel free to correct me or give me any insight! 

I have read that some people have notticed lower dynamics with these boxes, has anyone found a sweetspot? I guess this is the 6/2 combo...?

Dec 25, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #2,924 of 3,819
  Merry Christmas to all!

I will be building a little resistor box for this and my Millenia MG3 amp. I have been playing around with Robrob's resistor calculator and had a quick question. Using 7/1 ohm resistors instead of 6/2 seem to have a lower headphone output impedance and also a effective speaker load closer to 8. apart from 18db of atenuation compared to 12.5 would this not be better? I dont understand half of what im saying so please feel free to correct me or give me any insight! 

I have read that some people have notticed lower dynamics with these boxes, has anyone found a sweetspot? I guess this is the 6/2 combo...?

You should also look to calculate out how much power you would get into the headphones with each configuration.

Dec 25, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #2,925 of 3,819

I think it's a really bad idea that switch is even there in the first place. Attaching a balanced (or fully differential, whatever you want to call it) amp to that box is just a recipe for disaster. An accidental bump of the switch or someone who doesn't fully understand, and boom you're gonna let the magic smoke out.

Even with a single ended amp, I'm not fond of the idea of tapping a TRS directly off it because TRS connections will frequently short between sleeve and ring when you're inserting or removing the plug. A series resistor will protect the amp, but pooches your damping factor for dynamics headphones. Using a TRS jack with switching contacts might be marginally better depending how the contacts are made.

I get your points.. Hmm.. Now I don't really know what to do. I'll perhaps skip on the trs with balanced amp part and go with the rest of the circuit. Seems too risky to me. But still, connecting tha amp to a balanced amplifier using the trs jack by accident. Not good either. Could also suck it up and live with some 6-7 ohms of output resistance and have those 10 ohm resistors reside permanently in the circuit.. Or perhaps internal switch. Sooo many possibilities. Internal switch for the 10 ohms resistors would be ideal from my POV.

Of course it is not good to short the amp with the trs jacks, but oth there are somewhere between 2 and 8 ohms of resistance (depending on configuration) even if the trs is shorted. The whole amp isn't shorted after all, so I guess thats okay unless we are talking output transformers. The configuration with 6 and 2 ohm resistance would be okay as I see it.

So, to keep it simple I'm most into one xlr, one jack and 10 ohm resistors on the negative channels, perhaps with a internal switch for bypassing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back