HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Dec 11, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #2,613 of 3,819
  Mouahahahaha, I love this. Since the grounds are already connected in the amp I wouldn't even need a switch or anything, no downside to daisy chaining the plugs?

Just make sure you only have one thing connected at a time, or you risk letting the magic smoke out! 
eek.gif

If using TRS, be careful plugging/unplugging as you will make a temporary short if done while the unit is on.

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #2,615 of 3,819
  Just make sure you only have one thing connected at a time, or you risk letting the magic smoke out! 
eek.gif

If using TRS, be careful plugging/unplugging as you will make a temporary short if done while the unit is on.

This is true even when TRS is being used alone like Koiloco has?

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #2,616 of 3,819
That usually true for all 1/4 jacks by the way it is being plugged in. The short happens half way of inserting the plug between the channels. With most audio equipment is not bothered by this because it is of a very short duration. If you leave the plug half way into the socket it could be a problem if your turn up the gain when music is playing. You will not have that issue with the XLR connection. The same thing happens with 1/8 plugs as well. Just not be very slow in inserting the plug in the amp.

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #2,617 of 3,819
  Do I have to power down the unit before inserting/removing TRS phones?

Having been inside the amp, does this look like it would work? :D

Nope!  :)
The XLR and 1/4 would be fine.  The 1/8" is not going to work!  There's a board behind (screwed) the front panel. 
You could however move the 1/8" to the right side. 
tongue.gif

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #2,618 of 3,819

Nope!  :)
The XLR and 1/4 would be fine.  The 1/8" is not going to work!  There's a board behind (screwed) the front panel. 
You could however move the 1/8" to the right side. 
tongue.gif

I'm glad you kept my dream alive after shattering it and smiling at the same time haha :p. This will get done! Not sure when (don't have any power tools) or a mini-x yet (should arrive tomorrow) but I will complete this! resistor network and all :D

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #2,620 of 3,819
Dec 11, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #2,623 of 3,819
eek.gif

The load would be too big or something if I have 2 plugged in at the same time? I don't like the idea of that hapening... even by accident ... by a friend/guest whatever... any way to make sure no permanent damage happens if I accidentally plug both?

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #2,624 of 3,819
Dec 11, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #2,625 of 3,819

The load would be too big or something if I have 2 plugged in at the same time? I don't like the idea of that hapening... even by accident ... by a friend/guest whatever... any way to make sure no permanent damage happens if I accidentally plug both?

Assuming the wiring is correct and you aren't crossing the positive wires anywhere, the amp will be fine even if you have two headphones plugged in at the same time. Just keep the volume turned down all the first first. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back