HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Oct 25, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #2,011 of 3,819
Will this work?
I buy it for you from Emotiva and ship it to you declared as a gift so $0.  Will you still have to pay vat?
You're such a kind guy to offer that

Oct 25, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #2,012 of 3,819
Yea
They do, but there's vat and customs along with shipping. I'm kinda thinking I can get something better for those money, just don't know what.

Will this work?
I buy it for you from Emotiva and ship it to you declared as a gift so $0.  Will you still have to pay vat?

Yes, but insurance u know..

Oct 25, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #2,013 of 3,819
Oct 25, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #2,014 of 3,819

Glad to know someone else is doing this! 

Good information to have on the LCD-2s

Using XLR-->Adapter --> RCA inputs won't affect the noise floor, since the noise floor is coming from the amplifier itself

Your comment on price is something that really surprised me as well. Even with my little dot MKVI+ the emotiva definitely won me over using the HE-6 and HE-500. I was basically set on getting a Schiit Mjolnir, but I don't really see the point of it anymore. 

Hmmm for HE-6, I think Emotiva is the way to go, and probably even for the HE-500. Not sure about the LCD-2 and LCD-3 though....I think preproman liked the Mjolnir over Emotiva for the LCD-3.

Oct 25, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #2,015 of 3,819
The weird thing about the Emotiva is that it has no apparent weakness. Tonality, its neutral, no odd coloration anywhere; frequency extension in both ends are great, seperation, clarity is pretty nice and is surprisingly transparent of the source. I honestly think if this was a heapdhone amp it would cost a lot more money, and could be sold for a lot more $$$ under a different brand name with a headphone jack.

I think it does a great job with the LCD-2, but really shines with the HE-500. But yeah the LCD-2 likes it too, it's just more subtle with the LCD-2 while the benefits are more obvious with the HE-500. Having that infinite headroom and power is very nice, can't go back to weaker amps once you've gone Emotiva.

It's strange I've no desire to upgrade, not for the Mjolnir or Soloist or anything else under what the GS-X MK2 costs.

Oct 25, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #2,017 of 3,819
  No desire for the Liquid Glass, SPL Phonitor, Burson Conductor if the Emotiva works out well as many are claiming.

I just went all the way up to the WA22 and trying to find the reasons to justify the 10X price.  Yes, there are a  few things the WA22 does really well that the Emotiva can't touch but overall for the $200 I paid, Mini-X is really a little wonder with HE500.  If you ask me which amp I prefer, the answer would be "depending on kind of music I am listening".  That should a pretty clear indication of what I think about my 2 amps.  For dynamic HPs such as my Q701 and HD800, unfortunately I don't find the Emotiva to be a good match but the WA22 is beyond incredible.  I went though 3 spyro gyra albums this afternoon on WA22/Q701 combo.  It was sublime.  Hiphop/rock, I am back on HE500/Emotiva. 
wink.gif

Oct 26, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #2,018 of 3,819
Someone earlier brought up Audio-gd's Precision1 - 16W @ 40ohms, ~$600 - as a step-up candidate from the Mini-X.

Since the Mini-X is 15W @ 50ohms, power is pretty much a wash, but priced <1/3 of the Precision.

Kingwa makes solid stuff, no doubt about that.  I've owned a few of his amps.  Both Emotiva and Audio-gd lean more toward the "industrial" design aesthetic vs. the very very pretty Krells or McIntoshs of the world (IMO).

So, in thinking about "what's next" above and beyond the Mini-X, for me, I'd be looking for refinement without sacrificing power.  Given the extreme bargain proposition of the Mini-X, this is a tough call.

To my ears, as much as I'm absolutely loving the sound generated by the Emo, she's definitely a forward, non-subtle beast.  I liken it to listening to the seeming limitless power of a concert / PA speaker vs. the liquid coming out of a Paradigm Signature mid and tweeter.  

I once heard Oleta Adam's "Everything Must Change" on a set of $50k McIntosh speakers, and it was one of those reference point changing, revelatory experiences, as to how sound could "sound".  

As Koiloco said above, do we have to go 10x (above the Emo) to reach that point where the SQ improvement / delta is worth it?  

Or do we move incrementally, adding other tweaks such as tubes into the audio chain?

Or, of course, change the rubber that hits the road and pick up a headphone that has epic synergy with the Mini-X, and will exploit its power to produce that lush, "Diana Krall is singing to me, only me!" experience.  

These are just the late night ramblings of a very satisfied audio geek, who, through smiles and epiphanous satisfaction of what $169 can buy... is still on this godforsaken site, looking for the next best thing.

Oct 26, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #2,019 of 3,819
yeah I got the same info from emotiva crew and this is great - there is 15W at 50 ohms (HE-6) it should do the justice for HE-6 in terms of power (hifiman recommendation is 5-20W), I think you can really kick it with this amp, seriously...

Oct 26, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #2,020 of 3,819
I'm running my HE-500 off the TBI Millenia (w/ a resistor box).  Total for the amp & resistor box is roughly $600 ($500 amp, $100 resistor box).  This nifty amp is renowned for it's clean, highly transparent, neutral(-to-slightly warm), liquid sensibilities.  I've used it with the HD800, HD600.. and now, the HE-500.  It's terrific.  In terms of desktop real estate, it's extremely tidy as well (I'll have some pictures up soon).  Many die-hard SET owners have said this is one of the first solid state amps that didn't have them running back to tubes.  I'm not especially partial to SS or tubes (I love both), but I can confirm that the Millenia has a SET-like quality that makes it a very enjoyable amp to use with the HE-500 (and the HD600/HD800).

Oct 26, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #2,021 of 3,819

Hey guys.  A special shout out to elwappo99 (E.) for being the first one on head fi to take the chance with the mini x a-100.  
His impressions way back allowed me to pick this puppy up on one of Emotivas many sales as a step in until my F1J was ready for my HE-6  

To my surprise it did the job on more than a few headphones.  No it's not the best amp out there, but for a price of $169 to $200 it's very hard to beat.  Also, MaxV uses a tube DAC in his setup.  I think it helps with the brightness if anyone is experiencing any brightness that is.  The DAC is an important part to get right with this amp.  I settled in on the Ciunas DAC.  It made the AD / a-100 a real joy to listen to.  

I still feell the LCDs does better on the Mojo, but for the price of $200 even the Mojo comes up short in the price per performance area.  

GaryMD did a big speaker amp comparison.  The a-100 didn't do so well to his ears with the LCD-3.  However, IMO this amp does well with harder to drive headphones.  If you have a HE-4, HE-5, HE-5LE or an HE-6 or HE-500, Mad Dogs and Alpha Dogs - you'll be good to go.  However, some have found joy with the LCD-2.2s.  Which I can understand, because they tend to be the darker of the LCDs and the a-100 really weaks them up. Yes - I did like the LCD-2.2s better with this amp when compared to the LCD-3s.

The new Audio-GD amp (Precision 1) would be a very interesting comparison.  The only Audio-GD amp I heard was the Master 3 paried with the HE-6.  That amp did sound great.  It was more of a warm presentation, very intimate.  The soundstage was a tad bit closed in for me with less air, but it was very seductive like the LCDs can be.  The comparison was with my F1J amp and not the a-100.  But the a-100 has lots of air and does sound open with plenty of thump in the bottom end.

Quote:
  The weird thing about the Emotiva is that it has no apparent weakness. Tonality, its neutral, no odd coloration anywhere; frequency extension in both ends are great, seperation, clarity is pretty nice and is surprisingly transparent of the source. I honestly think if this was a heapdhone amp it would cost a lot more money, and could be sold for a lot more $$$ under a different brand name with a headphone jack.

Yup - I you hit the nail right on the head with this one..  Just not as refined as some of the TOTL speaker amps such as this one for $7000 
eek.gif
  http://www.simaudio.com/moon600i.htm  This amp was the absolute best amp I've heard with the HE-6 regardless of price

Oct 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #2,022 of 3,819
Just looked at it. The emo will be around twice the cost for me (to get to eu). Somewhere between 300-350 depending on shipping. There has to be something better for those money.

Oct 26, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #2,024 of 3,819
I thank you most sincerely for wanting to do that. I am just wondering what'd happen if the unit was lost in the postal system? Guess it would be worth it considering I could almost get 2 emotivas for the price of shipping and taxes, lol.
Anyway you us citizens can get a quote on approximate shipping?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back