HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Nov 13, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #166 of 3,819
My brother those headphone amps are all but regular  

New RP303 = $4.2K,    B52 = $5.2k,    Pinnacle = $10K  

These amps are far from regular..  
blink.gif

Nov 14, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #167 of 3,819
Quote:
Hey Mal,  I got my headband wrap yesterday and gave it a try.  Comfort wise it's it's fantastic.  I put it all the way on, including scruncing the leather (hated to do it, but I just could not get myself to use it with the whole top open like that!.  I hated creasing the leather...but it's leather...it won't break it beyond some creasing.  Feel wise...oh man that's cheap stuff.  I'd love o try the Beyer leather one but it apparently closes "like a ziploc bag" instead of snaps.  There's got to be a better headband cover that adds the same kind of shaping and padding but looks and feels a bit nicer, and/or doesn't scrunch the leather!

hey dude, check with wayne on here.  He makes custom headbands for Grados and this would be right up his alley.  his username is wje--just shoot him a message and tell him I sent you.  If he's willing to do it, I'll probably order one, too.

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #168 of 3,819
Quote:
hey dude, check with wayne on here.  He makes custom headbands for Grados and this would be right up his alley.  his username is wje--just shoot him a message and tell him I sent you.  If he's willing to do it, I'll probably order one, too.

I didn't know he made headbands, thanks for the tip!  I'll check with him, but I doubt that's where he's going...he'd have mentioned it in the varous headband conversations in the HE-400 thread
biggrin.gif
  He's had HE-400, HE-500, and HE-5LE and I don't believe he's even made himself a headband for them!

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #170 of 3,819
Has anyone here used the Hifiman Speaker Tap adapter with their HE-500s or 400s? I thought this might be an easy way to plug into a speaker amp, yet Hifiman says it's not for easy to drive headphones like the HE-500s. Would it work for this use the same as making a cable with speaker taps on it? Thanks for the help.

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #172 of 3,819
Quote:
Has anyone here used the Hifiman Speaker Tap adapter with their HE-500s or 400s? I thought this might be an easy way to plug into a speaker amp, yet Hifiman says it's not for easy to drive headphones like the HE-500s. Would it work for this use the same as making a cable with speaker taps on it? Thanks for the help.

Page 5 and Page 6.

Yes. That's what this entire thread is about. I've done it.

Works great on the HE-500 and HE-400.

They may be easy to drive, but that doesn't mean they don't have tons of room for more current. These babies can take a LOT of power considering their efficiency ratings (but those ratings are in reference to what? that's why I don't care too much about specs, they're not very useful without a standard of comparison).

Very best,

Nov 17, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #173 of 3,819
Heya,

Still enjoying the Emotiva. I've been playing around with the NFB12 as my DAC still and stumbled upon some other workings of it that I never used because I never used it as just a DAC or a pre-amp or anything. When I have it set as a DAC, I can still affect the gain and volume via the NFB12 and then further volume control with the Emotiva. Basically I'm keeping gain minimized, but turning the NFB12's volume to a point that allows my comfort listening level on the Emotiva with it's volume at the 12 o'clock position and I like it more. Seems to be the cleanest and blackest sound so far.

And it got me thinking.... what kind of effect would adding a tube amp as a pre-amp do with this? Maybe swap DAC's out to a Maverick TubeMagic and then get a little Tube Amp as a pre-amp to the Emotiva to tweak and play with it more? Possibly to add warmth on demand if I wanted to? Any thoughts on this?

Very best,

Nov 17, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #174 of 3,819
Quote:
Bob, the title to the thread is about the question you asked. Read the first few posts.

I read the whole thread...it still didn't answer my question as to whether this: http://hifiman.us/Products/?pid=104

works the same as just using a cable -> banana plugs. I understand the headphones can handle a lot of current. I was just asking whether this box would be ok to use, or if I should make my own cables.

Nov 17, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #175 of 3,819
Quote:

I read the whole thread...it still didn't answer my question as to whether this: http://hifiman.us/Products/?pid=104

works the same as just using a cable -> banana plugs. I understand the headphones can handle a lot of current. I was just asking whether this box would be ok to use, or if I should make my own cables.

Heya,

It works similar, but it works. The 4 plugs on the back are the input, and you connect via XLR. It has resistors in place to introduce dummy load.

It's $100 + shipping.

You can get an adapter made for like $40.

Very best,

Nov 17, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #176 of 3,819
Quote:

Heya,

It works similar, but it works. The 4 plugs on the back are the input, and you connect via XLR. It has resistors in place to introduce dummy load.

It's $100 + shipping.

You can get an adapter made for like $40.

Very best,

Alright thanks! I didn't want to try it if it was gonna blow up my headphones. I figured it would be ok, just wanted to make sure.

Nov 17, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #177 of 3,819
Quote:

Alright thanks! I didn't want to try it if it was gonna blow up my headphones. I figured it would be ok, just wanted to make sure.

The only way you're going to "blow up" the headphones is if you put them on an amplifier that has way too much output, like 125~200 watts is way too much for the HE-500 and HE-400. That's more for the HE-6 only. You do not need an adapter with resistors for the HE-500 and HE-400 if you use a 50 watt speaker amp. My adapter is just plugs to XLR and no resistors, so my HE-500 is being fed everything from the 50 watt speaker amp. And nothing is blowing up. I think the Hifiman people are a little over-cautious, but I guess they have to be from a business stand point (advertising speaker amp use on efficient headphones and having a lot of people melting down their units by not doing a little homework first would be a really unfortunate set of emails/phone calls to receive).

Very best,

Nov 18, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #179 of 3,819
Mal,
You think I may have overshot with the little DA 75wpc amp I ordered?

On another note, got them in today.  Packaging was really, really damn nice.  I love the new cable Fang is shipping with them.  About 5 feet, silver, no sleeving at all.  Trying to power them out of my EF2A is a joke.  I mean, I can only turn it up to about 10 o'clock before it gets too loud to deal with, but clipping is painfully evident and bass presence is...well, mostly not.  That said, mids are smooth, lovely, and there's enough top-end sparkle to make me smile.  Piano is just beautiful.

They're extremely comfortable.  Dunno what the fuss is about--anyone who thinks these things are uncomfortable have clearly never tried to work a 12 hour shift in PRO900s.

I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get the DA in.  Should be just another day or two.  I've got banana plugs on the way, too...I'll have one of our electronics techs here solder them onto the stock cable for me.  Cuz, you know, I'm cheap, and I don't have any intention of ever powering these out of a headphone amp.

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #180 of 3,819
Quote:

I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get the DA in.  Should be just another day or two.  I've got banana plugs on the way, too...I'll have one of our electronics techs here solder them onto the stock cable for me.  Cuz, you know, I'm cheap, and I don't have any intention of ever powering these out of a headphone amp.

popcorn.gif

Congrats! and keep us posted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back