HE-400 vs HD650 for rock
Jun 17, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #19 of 44
I'm quite sensitive to clamp and weight. And the he400 is no issue for me. Granted I don't listen for more than about 3 hours at a time, so I can't speak for more than that period. 

Jun 17, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #20 of 44
Basically if your head has a somewhat regular shape, and regular size, then the only two factors to consider with HE400's comfort level is 1) earpad material and 2) clamp force.

For earpad material, get Hifiman velour pads, end of story; immensely better comfort, improves and smooths the sound signature, you don't need to clean it ever, and it's cheaper than the pleather pads (only $10, I mean, seriously).

For clamping force, if you feel that it's too much, just do some gentle flexing of the headband, it's just a big spring steel encased in some padding and leather, so it has a huge amount of give.

With both of those factors in control, I can wear my HE400s pretty much all day long, and even in some cases forget I have them on. Granted they are still not the most comfortable just due to design and weight, but they are as comfortable as they can get.

Jun 17, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #24 of 44
Wouldn't recommend the 650's just for rock, they do it well, but there are better. Grado's do it like no other IMO!

Jun 17, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #26 of 44

Hifiman HE-500 with Sennheiser 650 headband and Fischer Audio FA-003 pads. Owner says he can use them for 8-10 hours without comfort issues.

Jun 17, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #27 of 44
Quote:

Hifiman HE-500 with Sennheiser 650 headband and Fischer Audio FA-003 pads. Owner says he can use them for 8-10 hours without comfort issues.

The Hifiman headband is good as is, the extra padding from the modded-on HD650 strip actually increases the pressure on the cranium since it's just extra material clamping down, not to mention it causes the contact area on your head to be smaller so you'll get more local clamping pressure on the two sides of your skull, rather than an even pressure across with just the default headband.

Jun 17, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #28 of 44
Quote:
The Hifiman headband is good as is, the extra padding from the modded-on HD650 strip actually increases the pressure on the cranium since it's just extra material clamping down, not to mention it causes the contact area on your head to be smaller so you'll get more local clamping pressure on the two sides of your skull, rather than an even pressure across with just the default headband.

+1

Jun 17, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #29 of 44
^^I agree with Jerg here. I tried to use an aftermarket Sennheiser band on my he400 when I first got them. I ended up removing it because it was less comfortable than the original. Now that I am used to the fit, I really have no problem with the original. 

The pads posted above do like very comfortable, but after switching to the velours I could never go back. 

Jun 22, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #30 of 44
I guess it depends. I have unmodded HE-400 and they start hurting the top of head after a few hours. Clamp force was an issue at first, but I played with the metal band and fixed that. It seems to my issue with the width of the band, like all the weight of the cans is supported on 1 sq inch of my noggin. I'm looking a solution to this problem at the moment. Otherwise the sound of these cans is awesome for rock, but they do need to be properly amped otherwise you get very weak bass from my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back