HD800 vs. Koss Porta Pro
Mar 2, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #91 of 117
Last night I did a HD800 vs. ATH-50 comparison, just for fun.  I use to praise the Audio Technica ATH--M50 SQ, now I am not sure why I thought they sounded good.  Comparison tests, no matter how silly, can reveal interesting things about your impression of sound.  I do still use the ATH-M50 everyday for work and think they are great.

Jun 3, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #92 of 117
i a/bed my pioneer se m390 with my beyerdynamic dt990 (which is couple times the m390's price) and couldnt really convince myself the difference between the sound quality and even posted up a thread of my own, asking what people think about that. someone mentioned that the m390 does not at all sound hi-fi to him and i then later returned to test some of the songs i am much more familiar with and finally concluded that the dt990 does have better sound quality and it becomes noticeable when i listen to songs i know better. on the other hand, my friend has a porta pro and i listened to that and my etymotic research hf 5 and i even thought my hf 5 was better. i didnt have much time to listen to it since it was my friend's, not mine but i thought the mids were not as clear as my hf 5 but i dont know if thats due to the hf 5 has a brighter sound signature (and pretty sure also brighter mid) so it tricks my ears to think the hf 5 has better resolution. my friend listened to my hf 5 and commented the bass on my hf 5 was weak but other parts of the sound were good.

Jun 3, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #93 of 117
I always find listening to my old gear an interesting experience. I always end up thinking "I used to listen to *that*? And I LIKED IT!?" :p
I actually just did it today comparing my old Logitech Z2300 computer speakers after getting used to my Monitor 7's as speakers. And even just with a TV show I recoiled in horror! Bloat bloat bloat! No mids or highs to speak of! Muffled as all hell! And I *never* noticed it before! I decided not to try any music.
Originally I used them for TV shows and games, and never really noticed any *glaring* flaws, but WOW.

Jun 3, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #94 of 117
Quote:
I always find listening to my old gear an interesting experience. I always end up thinking "I used to listen to *that*? And I LIKED IT!?" :p
I actually just did it today comparing my old Logitech Z2300 computer speakers after getting used to my Monitor 7's as speakers. And even just with a TV show I recoiled in horror! Bloat bloat bloat! No mids or highs to speak of! Muffled as all hell! And I *never* noticed it before! I decided not to try any music.
Originally I used them for TV shows and games, and never really noticed any *glaring* flaws, but WOW.

should we go back to our old stuff for a while and then come back to see if our current stuff will amaze us?

Jun 3, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #96 of 117
Quote:

I used to do that, actually. I didn't go too far, usually a day or two (which ends up being at least 10-20 hours of music listening), but it's sometimes a fun little thing to do.

i see, i dont really see myself going far with that neither. but my dt990 still amazes me (without even comparison with lower end stuff) and i think my ears are getting slightly better as im doing more active listening and im just starting out in this hobby

Jun 3, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #97 of 117
We should not stop until we have exhaustively compared them with the

Qz Pro, Eqp1, Eqp2, HB70s, HB75, Cobalt, KSC17, P16, P14, P9, KSC24, KSS10, Pathfinder, Sparkplug, Plug, P15, StereoBudz, Stealth, KEB4BK, KEB20g, iSpark, KDX300, KDB20DVD, KEB7P, KPH15, KEB24g, KEB70, ESP950, SB45, SB40, CS80, CS100, CS95, CX6, SB49, HQ2, QZ2000, QZ99, QZPRO, QZ50, QZ5, QZ900, QZ77, KSC75, KSC35, KSC9, KSC7, SA1, Clipz, KSC6, KSC22DVD, Clipper, Cobalt, JR900, HB70, HB79, JR900S, JR170, HB60, SB45, Tugo, and the Sporta Pros.

And don't forget to add the PortaPro 2000 to this awesome list! :D

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/83/img1862yq7.jpg/

Jun 3, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #100 of 117
Quote:
Im going to get hd800. Will it work good with iriver 140 + jds labs c421?

I cannot say anything definite on the C421, but the O2 from JDS Labs ($156 with AC adapter) should work fine. You can combine it with the ODAC (also available from JDS Labs), or use some other decent source.

Jun 3, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #101 of 117
Quote:

I cannot say anything definite on the C421, but the O2 from JDS Labs ($156 with AC adapter) should work fine. You can combine it with the ODAC (also available from JDS Labs), or use some other decent source.

Decent, but not optimal. You could get a better set-up for less. When you go all the way up top you really can't compromise on the DAC and Amp. A set-up will only sound as good as it's weakest link and the O2 would be its weakest link.

Jun 3, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #102 of 117
Quote:
Decent, but not optimal. You could get a better set-up for less. When you go all the way up top you really can't compromise on the DAC and Amp. A set-up will only sound as good as it's weakest link and the O2 would be its weakest link.

And what do you base your assumption that the headphones are not the weakest link on, other than price ?

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #104 of 117
I have the Porta Pro's and i love them.  I'm sue there are better and I will swap between those and my HD 25's.  I like the Porta Pros much better than my DT770's.

The DT770's have a nice soundstage but the rest is ......well....meh.

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #105 of 117
Whoa. Necro'd thread... 
Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Round 1... Fight

A much closer result than I expected.
Google Fight

After so many months, no one has actually posted the proper fight between the PortaPros and the HD800
http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Koss+portapro&word2=sennheiser+HD800
It is clear that the HD800 wins over the PortaPro. 

Both are pretty crappy headphones though, these headphones completely wipe the floor with the HD800's. 

Apple Earbuds 
Looking at what Fostex can do with a $30 budget, one would expect to see an absolutely god tier performance out of their higher end headphones. However, it is clearly not the case. It is clear that the Earbuds, despite being engineered by Fostex, are actually a gift to the world by the great Steve Jobs, increasing its audio quality by 9001%. 

Sony V6
The earbuds are nothing though. The true king of closed back headphones shows the Sennheiser's who's boss with a complete domination, handily wiping the floor against the earbuds too. The HD800's never stood a chance against the glory of the V6. 

A wild Beats Studio appears
It is clear that the Beats Studios are the best headphones ever created. If you listen to them you are clearly hearing things the way the artist intended you to hear. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back