HD800 vs. Koss Porta Pro
Jun 25, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #107 of 117
The biggest problem with this thread's concept is that it specifies the Koss Porta Pro instead of its cousin the KSC 75. The Porta Pro is portable Hi-Fi while the KSC75 is portable high end.

Square Wave Response 500Hz HD800 vs KSC75:

The HD800 are bulky and big, being designed for the great big noggins often found atop men in Northern Europe and the USA. The Koss KSC75 are tiny, light and comfortable for any size head. The styling of the HD800 is derived from the Cybermen from Doctor Who, while the KSC75 are modeled on the USAF's flying saucer program. Clearly the KSC75 have the more scientific design, being modeled on a real actual spacecraft and not some imaginary creature that is only a man in silver overalls and tupperware glued to his head.

Sennheiser HD800 (note the integral iPod dock on forehead and full size amplifier mounted in breastplate):

Koss KSC75:

And Office Depot in US had the KSC75 for $5 last week.

Jul 3, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #109 of 117
That's why this forum will never die. 
Because someone will always find a way to compare a tyre to the whole car!

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #111 of 117
  I have the Porta Pro's and i love them.  I'm sue there are better and I will swap between those and my HD 25's.  I like the Porta Pros much better than my DT770's.

The DT770's have a nice soundstage but the rest is ......well....meh.

which version of the DT770s do you own and (unless they are the 32Ω) are you using anything to amp them? I only ask because to my ears the DT770 80Ω trump my PortaPro's on every level.

then again we all hear differently and source,amp and headphones are all crucial .I do like my PortaPro's (quite a bit in fact),but to my ears they aren't even in the same league as the 80Ω 770's (plugged into a Sony NW-F807 w/ iBasso D2+ Boa portable amp).

edit- I just looked at your profile [I should have done that first i realize now in retrospect] and see you have the 80Ω as well,so i guess it is down to a matter of preference or possibly the source and/or the fact that i EQ the hell out of my Sony player (notching up the clear bass quite a bit) and I just love how deep the sub bass frequencies go on the DT770's. in any case, for the price the PortaPro's punch well above their weight class.

Jan 4, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #112 of 117
which version of the DT770s do you own and (unless they are the 32Ω) are you using anything to amp them? I only ask because to my ears the DT770 80Ω trump my PortaPro's on every level.

then again we all hear differently and source,amp and headphones are all crucial .I do like my PortaPro's (quite a bit in fact),but to my ears they aren't even in the same league as the 80Ω 770's (plugged into a Sony NW-F807 w/ iBasso D2+ Boa portable amp).

edit- I just looked at your profile [I should have done that first i realize now in retrospect] and see you have the 80Ω as well,so i guess it is down to a matter of preference or possibly the source and/or the fact that i EQ the hell out of my Sony player (notching up the clear bass quite a bit) and I just love how deep the sub bass frequencies go on the DT770's. in any case, for the price the PortaPro's punch well above their weight class.

I have the 80Ohm version.  At the time I think I only had the C&C BH and I was using these cans as a portable solution along with my Porta Pro's and HD 25's, and yes I did like them better.  However I took my Beyers to a meet and had it go through a high powered tube amp built out of Portland (can't remember the name) and they sounded awesome.  They are power hungry and synergy is everything!  I don't have the need for a portable rig as I'm often too busy to use it.  As I recall the 880's are a bit bass heavy, which may be a plus for many but not for me.

A short time after I built my self a Bottlehead Crack with the Speedball mod and a Goldpoint stepped attenuator, and purchased the HD600 and that is my primary listening setup.  I love the balance and detail and have no desire at current to look elsewhere.

Jan 4, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #113 of 117
Just chiming in, I grinned from ear to ear when I ran across this thread. I'm sure Jude is too as he rocks out to his HD800's.

Dec 17, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #117 of 117
I was comparing my Koss Sporta Pros to my Fostex TH600 and I was thinking, you know, yeah the TH600 sounds better, but is it really *that* much better? For the massive increase in price (more than 10x more costly).

In particular, I was listening to music at 320kbps, and was getting annoyed how the Fostex made me notice the lossy format's shortcomings vs lossless, while the Koss totally masked them.

Was using each with an RSA Predator out of a Chromebook with music at 320kbps and I'm kinda like you know what? I think I might prefer the Koss.

With my lossless library and my ODAC/O2 no doubt I prefer the Fostex, but increasingly these days with streaming services and smartphones, the situation calls for something easy and cheap that always sounds good, from shoddy YouTube videos to high-bitrate lossy stuff and beyond, no hassle.

If the Koss (S)Porta Pro could isolate noise, it'd be the one of the best headphones of all time, practically speaking. That's its one weakness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back