HD800 and T1 musings...
Dec 9, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #631 of 1,024

Quote:
If anyone gets a chance, can someone just compare the hd800s to the T1s on some electronic music and let me know their thoughts?

Right now I  can and the T1 is much more beautiful..HD800 is like I hear it from apart..

Dec 9, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #632 of 1,024

Quote:
Hey guys, first of all mace thanks for your review :)

just wanted to ask, it seems alot of people on these forums always comment about jazz, classical music and rock.
Just wondering what you think of electronic style music (house/trance/psytrance) on the T1 vs HD800
I would assume the bass impact on the T1s would triumph.

I must note, liking trance/house/psytrance or even dubstep does not mean you are a bass head, I would classify the D7000 as an exaggerated bass impact. Please let me know your thoughts. (have a feeling you gonna recommend the LCD2s)

Thanks...it was fun to write...can't believe I've had these cans now for almost 2 years. And neither sold, so that has to tell you how much I still like them.

For classical and prog rock (Floyd), I prefer the HD800s. For jazz, rock, metal I prefer the T1s. Sorry I don't really listen to electronica.

Dec 9, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #633 of 1,024
Add vocals to that for T1. Something that the T1 excels at.

Dec 9, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #634 of 1,024

Quote:
Thanks...it was fun to write...can't believe I've had these cans now for almost 2 years. And neither sold, so that has to tell you how much I still like them.

For classical and prog rock (Floyd), I prefer the HD800s. For jazz, rock, metal I prefer the T1s. Sorry I don't really listen to electronica.

i really wish i could have had both at the same time. truly a luxury! i miss the hd800 and settled with the T1 but i still battle withmyself every day whether i want to sell it and go back to the hd800.  in the end, the t1 is a better all arounder to me and is better for me. 

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #635 of 1,024

Quote:
i really wish i could have had both at the same time. truly a luxury! i miss the hd800 and settled with the T1 but i still battle withmyself every day whether i want to sell it and go back to the hd800.  in the end, the t1 is a better all arounder to me and is better for me. 

Agreed with this.
smile.gif

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #636 of 1,024

Quote:

I still prefer the T1 over the HD800 but I admit I wish i could hear a pair with the serial number over 10000 to see if that treble was smooth over and the bass tipped. I love the HE500 also but man the comfort of the t1 makes me put it on the hands off list for selling it. I have them on now and still love them even though I have spent considerable time with the HE500

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #637 of 1,024

Quote:
I still prefer the T1 over the HD800 but I admit I wish i could hear a pair with the serial number over 10000 to see if that treble was smooth over and the bass tipped. I love the HE500 also but man the comfort of the t1 makes me put it on the hands off list for selling it. I have them on now and still love them even though I have spent considerable time with the HE500

i never tried an HD800 under 10000.  i forget what mine was but it was over 10000. it was on the bright side but the bass was there.  couldnt understand why people called it bass light.  its not as much bass as the T1 but it was very good quality bass in my opinion.  just a tad bright in my setup for my ears.

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #638 of 1,024

Quote:
i never tried an HD800 under 10000.  i forget what mine was but it was over 10000. it was on the bright side but the bass was there.  couldnt understand why people called it bass light.  its not as much bass as the T1 but it was very good quality bass in my opinion.  just a tad bright in my setup for my ears.

according to Jan at Meir the bass over on the models 10000 and up was increased 3DB

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #639 of 1,024
Is it easy to balance a T1? when i test the HD800s ill see if they are over 10,000 model or not, I believe as of next week ill be the new proud owner of a T1.
The only reason I am considering the hd800 more is because of the easily removable cables etc and the fact that if you good hd800s its like the plague but its hard to find info bout the T1s in comparision.

Dec 10, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #640 of 1,024

Quote:
according to Jan at Meir the bass over on the models 10000 and up was increased 3DB

Is there any proof of this? Frequency response graphs of 10000+ HD800-s look identical to my 7000+ version. I do know they increased the bass somewhere in the 2000-3000 range and it's plainly visible on frequency response graphs.

Dec 10, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #641 of 1,024

Quote:

Is there any proof of this? Frequency response graphs of 10000+ HD800-s look identical to my 7000+ version. I do know they increased the bass somewhere in the 2000-3000 range and it's plainly visible on frequency response graphs.

Sennheiser never answered the email regarding the changes. I can only go by what was said by Jan and others in threads about the bass boost and I had a 9xxxx when I sold mine so I cant say one way or the other but the pai I owned had an uncomfortable treble for my taste.

Dec 10, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #642 of 1,024

Quote:
Sennheiser never answered the email regarding the changes. I can only go by what was said by Jan and others in threads about the bass boost and I had a 9xxxx when I sold mine so I cant say one way or the other but the pai I owned had an uncomfortable treble for my taste.

Hey Frank. Actually, HD800s have been pretty much the same since the very early production models (<1000), some of which did actually have less bass (but also a smaller 6KHz treble peak). View this thread with the frequency response graphs and compare for yourself: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433059/sennheiser-hd800-certificate-for-frequency-response-arrived/240

Dec 10, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #643 of 1,024

Quote:
Hey Frank. Actually, HD800s have been pretty much the same since the very early production models (<1000), some of which did actually have less bass (but also a smaller 6KHz treble peak). View this thread with the frequency response graphs and compare for yourself: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433059/sennheiser-hd800-certificate-for-frequency-response-arrived/240

Hey Sha I am just going by what Sokolov told me Jan Meir told him and he is a big Senns dealer in Germany but I have not heard the latter numbers but I take your word for it and also Innerspace said his pairs sounded different . I know you have had two or three different pairs also. Thanks  buddy how the doctoring going by the way.

Dec 10, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #644 of 1,024

Quote:

Hey Sha I am just going by what Sokolov told me Jan Meir told him and he is a big Senns dealer in Germany but I have not heard the latter numbers but I take your word for it and also Innerspace said his pairs sounded different . I know you have had two or three different pairs also. Thanks  buddy how the doctoring going by the way.

Yea all the ones I heard sounded the same, but who knows, there have been slight manufacturing variances that have produced more or less bass on some units.
(As for work, you know how it is, busy busy busy...I try to get some listening in here and there).

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #645 of 1,024
Audiophile obsessions are such a strange beast. Owning the T1's for a few months now, and being incredibly content with them, for some reason now and again I still lust after more, or should I say, different. I'm not even sure why, I guess it's just a case of curiosity. My only ever gripe with the T1's, is that for certain more modern centric music (Dubstep), the bass can be ever so slightly shy and in need of a touch more very low end oomph to reverberate the soul. But detail and punch wise, they are simply sublime. It's a weird beast because when you EQ in a little extra low end, you lose a tiny micro fraction of bass detail and texture which also bugs me, so maybe Beyer did get the balance just right, who knows. Personally I think there is no perfect balance for any headphone, it rather depends on the music itself and source. I do think the T1's are among the most well rounded headphones I've ever heard though.

Few days ago I finally was able to test the HD800's. Beautiful cans. They look and feel gorgeous. Perhaps not as solid feeling as the T1's, but more elaborate in design and also more comfortable on the ears. Based on a 2 hour listening session, my take is that they have a noticeably (though not hugely different) wider soundstage over the T1's. It feels more open and airy, which is good and bad. It feels liberating, but also a bit too open theatre like at times, and highlights a few of it's short comings over the T1. Those being that at times it's over articulate or mildly clinical. The highs can be ever so slightly harsh or bright on certain tracks, and the bass lacks a bit of the punch and bite of the T1's. Considering the T1's for me personally can, with the odd genre of music on rare occasion, be a tad low oomph shy, the HD800's in this regard fare worse.

I'd imagine your preferred can out of these two will depend on the kind of music you listen to, and personal inklings, but I feel like the T1's are the better all rounder and still a bit more balanced or accurate with a wider range of music genre's. With the HD800's favouring a slightly more bright and spacious sonic presentation, great for classical or instrumental. The T1's still having copious amounts of detail, but ever so slightly warmer or less bright (but still brighter than something like the LCD-2's), favouring more genre's including alternative rock, pop, chillout etc. 

Honestly, you can't really go wrong with either, but it's such a tight race, you might want to test both. For me personally, the T1 edges it out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back