HD800 and T1 musings...
Nov 28, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #616 of 1,024

Quote:
Now, after doing even more research I am getting a bit confused. For those who have experience with the Concerto as the amp, which of these did you prefer?

Both the HD800s and T1s were great from the Concerto (about equal in that regard). But I preferred both headphones with a good tube amp (WA2 for around $1k).

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #617 of 1,024
At this time, I think I'm going to stick with a solid state amplifier, because I have very little experience with tubes. I am definitely going to go with the Corda Classic, because I am planning, StageDAC, Classic, and the T1 at once. Down the road, I might start looking at tube amps, but not quite yet. So I'm really leaning towards the T1, because I think it's more universally appealing towards all genres. 

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #618 of 1,024

Quote:
At this time, I think I'm going to stick with a solid state amplifier, because I have very little experience with tubes. I am definitely going to go with the Corda Classic, because I am planning, StageDAC, Classic, and the T1 at once. Down the road, I might start looking at tube amps, but not quite yet. So I'm really leaning towards the T1, because I think it's more universally appealing towards all genres. 

I can confirm that the Concerto / T1 combination was really good. So the Classic should be even better.

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #619 of 1,024
Alright it's set then, as soon as the classic starts shipping (which is hopefully very soon) , I'll put my order in, might even put up a review. 
o2smile.gif

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #621 of 1,024

Quote:
I agree. After a few wobbles, I'm sticking with my HD800 for the long term. Best overall balance of virtues, from sonics to ergonomics, on the market at the moment I think, though it'll be interesting to see what the next series from Audeze and others brings.

o

Quote:
I am the other way around. I own both and both are recabled wit the Zeus cable. Based on my taste I prefer the HD800. To me they have a more relaxed presentation but without loosing anyting in detail. Both are excellent but for your Electronic music I would probably go with the T1.

I personally do not like the sound and soundstage presentation of the T1 with the stock cable so I would recomment a recable job with a high quality OCC Copper cable.

Quote:

Swatcsi, skip these T1, go for HD800... T1 are highly overpriced in my opinion. If we put together T1 vs HD800, based on pure sound performance (extension, imaging, neutrality), those T1 sound like 700$ phones, and HD800's are still over 1000$ sounding phones. Go for HD800. And if you fill lacking energy on Bass heavy music, get some extra planar beasts. Nothing more needed...

Quote:
When I compare the T1 and HD800 side by side, I prefer the HD800 by a large margin. Coming from DT880, the T1 doesn't provide much improvement over it and the DT880 will be the only thing I will ever buy from Beyerdynamic. The HD800 on the other hand beats the crap out of the DT880 through its massive soundstage and imaging. Just my $0.02.

I agree with all of the above, though I do enjoy the T1 for what they are.

Quote:
I see you have an HE-6 as well. In what way do you find the HD800 to be better than the HE-6? I think the HD800 are better in terms of soundstage and imaging, but in most other areas the HE-6 are somewhat better, and if I had to keep only one of them, I would keep the HE-6 - I find them more pleasurable to listen to.

I like the T1 as well, but, again, I find the HE-6 to be somewhat better overall.

The HE-6 are often more fun to listen to than the HD800, but eventually I start missing the speed, soundstage/imaging and details of the Senns. Also, I don't think the stock HD800 is better than the HE-6. I'm referring to a silver-recabled one here.

Dec 9, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #622 of 1,024
Hey guys, first of all mace thanks for your review :)

just wanted to ask, it seems alot of people on these forums always comment about jazz, classical music and rock.
Just wondering what you think of electronic style music (house/trance/psytrance) on the T1 vs HD800
I would assume the bass impact on the T1s would triumph.

I must note, liking trance/house/psytrance or even dubstep does not mean you are a bass head, I would classify the D7000 as an exaggerated bass impact. Please let me know your thoughts. (have a feeling you gonna recommend the LCD2s)

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #623 of 1,024
While coming late to the party I'd still thank everyone for the great comparisons in this thread, especially the thread starter of course.

My problem is that based on this thread I'm convinced that the HD800 will be my next purchase to complement (jup, don't plan to replace) my HD650s - but the price difference in local stores almost forces me to check out the T1 as well. I can get the T1 new for CHF 820.- while the HD800 is at least CHF 1200.-
Makes me wonder if I'd be better off with the T1?

Dec 9, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #624 of 1,024
I think it is  amatter of taste. I own both and even that I like the T1 I have the tendency to listen to the HD800 more often. I think the T1 are fun to listen to but the HD800 has more refined sound. I also think the HD800 are the best dynamic headphones emulatiing the sound of a speaker system. IMO, if you like the HD650 I would go with the HD800.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Dec 9, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #625 of 1,024
That's basically why I'm so fixated on the HD800. Main focus for my next can as a complementary headphone is that I want something with a bigger soundstage and more suited to classical/orchestral works. Just wondered if the T1 would still be a major upgrade compared to the HD650 if only those points are considered. I personally don't expect it to be the case, but the price difference is seductive :wink:

Dec 9, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #626 of 1,024
The T1 and HD800 sound very different; both will probably be an improvement over the HD650.  I think that T1 is more conducive to modern music while hd800 more for classic and relaxed.  At that price point you will want to make sure you make the right decision the first time so don't be afraid to take your time or try to get more demos.

Dec 9, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #628 of 1,024
Quote:
If anyone gets a chance, can someone just compare the hd800s to the T1s on some electronic music and let me know their thoughts?

Here's a review I wrote: http://www.head-fi.org/t/511201/review-beyerdynamic-t1-vs-sennheiser-hd800

The Notes file for the above review contains very specific details on some electronica, scroll down to the HD800 vs T1 section starting on page 3: http://www.crystalsynth.net/audioreviews/t1-hd800_notes.pdf

Dec 9, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #630 of 1,024
Except for ambient electronica in which I think the HD800 is better at simply due to its overall clarity & open soundstage, I can't think of any other electronica sub-genres in which the T1 wouldn't be better than the HD800 - especially trance and trip-hop.

Other headphones you might want to consider: Audeze LCD-2 or Audio-Technica AD2000. I use the Audio-Technica AD2000 for all of my electronica/trip-hop, well except for ambient. But the AD2000, LCD-2, T1, and HD800 all sound pretty different from each other and it depends on how you want your electronica to sound. Though I'd advise against the HD800 just because it doesn't have very much bass and its clear/distant sound kinda works against every sub-genre not ambient, at least IMO. So for trance & trip-hop, I don't think you can really go wrong with the T1, or the LCD-2 or AD2000. You'll want a good high-voltage amp for the T1 though, hope you're factoring that in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back