HD800 and T1 musings...
Jan 19, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #646 of 1,024
I have a question for those who have tried both, are these very similiar sounding headphones or would you say they could compliment each other?

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #647 of 1,024

Quote:
I have a question for those who have tried both, are these very similiar sounding headphones or would you say they could compliment each other?

They are both "neutral" sounding, but as I noted on my comparison review, there are some real differences. That said, I would suggest and LCD-2 r.2 for around the same price as a more complimentary headphone if you own either of these.

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #648 of 1,024
Well, if I were to get a planar magnetic headphone, I'd get the LCD-3 though the only thing I'm worried about is that there could be a LCD-4 on the horizon since the LCD-3 was released so soon after the rev. 2. But if the T1 and HD800 are similar sounding it makes little sense to own both then.

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #649 of 1,024

Quote:
Well, if I were to get a planar magnetic headphone, I'd get the LCD-3 though the only thing I'm worried about is that there could be a LCD-4 on the horizon since the LCD-3 was released so soon after the rev. 2. But if the T1 and HD800 are similar sounding it makes little sense to own both then.

I find the HD800s and T1s to be much more similar than the impressions/reviews on Head-fi had me believe.  Oftentimes, the tiny difference is what makes it or breaks it though.  I recommend at least trying the HD800s.

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #650 of 1,024

Quote:
I find the HD800s and T1s to be much more similar than the impressions/reviews on Head-fi had me believe.  Oftentimes, the tiny difference is what makes it or breaks it though.  I recommend at least trying the HD800s.

Quote:

I own both and have the same aftermarket cable with them so there is no difference in construction there (one less variable). IMO they are not that close in presentation. IMO the HD800 goes lower comapred to the T1 but the T1 has more energy and punch in the bass. Midrange and highs are probably the closest among both but to me the bigger difference is in the soundstage presentation. IMO the HD800 wins hands down. The HD800 soundstage is bigger and more holographic than the T1. I personally classify the HD800 as a more "relaxed" sound where the T1 has a more "fun" sound.

I have just listened to the LCD-3 at RMAF and rally liked them and I think they are kind of a combination of the HD800 and T1 becuase based on that limited session I could tell that the soundstaging is more similar to the HD800 but the speed and impact on the bass is more like the T1. Just my opinion.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jan 23, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #651 of 1,024
Although I've never heard the HD800s, that is a pretty close summation to what I would expect from everything I've read on Head-fi. The HD800 with a bigger soundstage, slightly deeper bass but less impact. I'd also imagine the HD800s having a stronger treble emphasis and the T1s having a warmer midrange.

Man I really need to get around to auditioning the HD800 and LCD2s one day.

Jan 27, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #652 of 1,024
I agree with most of what is written about the T1 and HD800 comparisons in this string.  I have trouble saying which is best because, depending on the music, either may be the best. Some artist and recordings just work better with one, some with the other.  I typically start my listening with whatever headphone I had plugged in last.  If the song does not sound as good as I remembered, I will switch between the T1, HD800 and HE500.  At least one of the headphones always sounds excellent, but none of the headphones sound excellent with all music.  At least that is my opinion. 

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #653 of 1,024
I'm considering one of these two as a complement to my JH13s.  I haven't seen any impressions in this thread as a comparison, so thought I would ask.  I can't use my JH13s in the office anymore (too much time spent receiving calls and it's annoying to repeatedly take in and out the IEMs) and need a open or semi open full size can for those hours.

I'm pleased in every single aspect of my JH13s out of my Anedio D1 dac/amp, and as far as sound I'm looking for a duplication rather than complement, just in a different headphone format.  I enjoy most the speed, energy, and detail retrieval of the JH13.  Which of these two most fits the bill?  I've heard the LCD-2 closely matches the JH13 (think asr mentioned that in his review), but they are out of consideration as I am sensitive to weight and clamping force.  Any other flagship I should consider?  A SR-007 rig maybe?  My most frequently listened to genres are jazz, country, and R&B, and specifically female vocalists in those genres.

In addition to the phone, I don't mind spending another $1000 or so on an amp if the Anedio D1 amp can't deliver suitable performance from either the T1 or HD800.

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #654 of 1,024

Quote:
I'm considering one of these two as a complement to my JH13s.  I haven't seen any impressions in this thread as a comparison, so thought I would ask.  I can't use my JH13s in the office anymore (too much time spent receiving calls and it's annoying to repeatedly take in and out the IEMs) and need a open or semi open full size can for those hours.

I'm pleased in every single aspect of my JH13s out of my Anedio D1 dac/amp, and as far as sound I'm looking for a duplication rather than complement, just in a different headphone format.  I enjoy most the speed, energy, and detail retrieval of the JH13.  Which of these two most fits the bill?  I've heard the LCD-2 closely matches the JH13 (think asr mentioned that in his review), but they are out of consideration as I am sensitive to weight and clamping force.  Any other flagship I should consider?  A SR-007 rig maybe?  My most frequently listened to genres are jazz, country, and R&B, and specifically female vocalists in those genres.

In addition to the phone, I don't mind spending another $1000 or so on an amp if the Anedio D1 amp can't deliver suitable performance from either the T1 or HD800.

I personally liked the HD800 a lot better than the T1. The T1 imo is coloured and is very fun to listen to while the HD800 is more neutral although it can be a little bright. This is all based on muscle memory but I do remember the T1 being similar to the DT880 - it's like a supercharged DT880. The HD800 is a different beast than the HD6x0 in terms of imaging and soundstage. Having listened to them both side by side, I love the HD800 more. 

You mentioned about weight and clamping force. The HD800 has a very light clamping force and its weight is like feathers on your head. T1, then again, is similar to the DT880.

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #655 of 1,024

Quote:

I own both and the HD800 are my favorite of the two but all depends on taste. The HD800 has a bigger soundstage presentation and IMO emulates the sound of a speaker system better. It does have a good extended bass but with less impact than the T1. If you were listening to rock, heavy metal, etc, I woudl go wit the T1 butbased on what you are listening I would go with the HD800.

IMO both required a better cable to really sound thie best. I use the Aphroditecu29.com Zeus OCC copper cable in both headphones (he also sell the headphones so you might be able to get a package deal). The other thing I would recommend is to ask him (Robert) to replece the internal wire the connects the cable connector to the driver in the HD800. He did mine and was an improvement in the sound. The stock wire is very small and SPC. He used the same internal wire of the Zeus cable for it.

On that rage I own the Violectric V200 and sounds really nice with both headphones. Robert also sell them and actually he is doing some internal mods and upgrades to it that brings it to a different level.

Another headphone to consider is the new ATH-W3000ANV. I just got it yesterday and I am very please with it. It is a close desing but the sound stage is the bigger I have heard for a closed headphones over my DX1000, Edition 9 and D7000. Vocals in the W3000ANV are totally seductive and the level of detail is really good.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Feb 17, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #656 of 1,024
Quote:

Since you mentioned me I think I should respond here.
wink.gif

Barring the LCD-2/LCD-3, IMO the next closest-sounding full-size headphone to the JH13 is probably the Stax OII MKI. Keep in mind that I haven't really heard the OII on anything less than the KGSS though, so I have no idea how it might change sonically on lesser amps.

And IMO, the "speed, energy, and detail retrieval of the JH13" aren't really comparable to either the HD800 or T1. I wrote a review of the JH13 as well, which can be read here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/482773/review-jh-audio-jh13

I compared the JH13 to both the HD800 and T1 in post #30 of that review thread.

I haven't spent much time with the current HiFiMan headphones (actually barely any time at all - only a few days with an HE-6 so far) but it's possible that one of them might be up your alley.

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #657 of 1,024

Quote:

Judging by what you said, I'd wager a guess that you'd likely prefer the HD800. "Energy" is a cryptic term, but I feel the T1s have a bit more of it, while the Senns have the edge in speed and rendering of detail.

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #659 of 1,024
Thank you all for your replies.  It looks like my suspicion that there is no full size JH13 may be true.  All of the flagships don't seem to match up to the JH13s strengths, and look to be a compromise (at least to what sound I'm trying to achieve).  After reading some more on the forums, it seems like the hifiman offerings may be closer, albeit less comfortable than either the HD800 or T1.  I'll probably try to find a HE-500, and move onto a much more expensive stax setup if the HE-500 doesn't fit.

Thanks again for everyone's replies.

Apr 30, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #660 of 1,024
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have a question regarding these two phones. I read most of the posts and got pretty good descriptions about both headphones, and I'm leaning towards the HD800 currently but maybe you guys can help me. I currently own broken HD595's and Denon AHD2000's. I listen to mostly metal and most people recommended me the D2000's but I actually prefer the HD595's for the metal I listen to (mostly progressive, some death, but generally metal with higher production qualities). What sounds more similar to the HD595s, the T1 or the HD800? Most people make it sound like the HD has an insanely wide soundstage, I feel like the 595's is pretty wide too, but I haven't really seen any direct comparisons between the two. Is the HD800 just a much better sounding 595?

I've been deliberating on which one to get, but I want to be sure I'm going to like the sound. The problem is the nearest place to me for listening to these things is nearly 2 1/2 hours away.

=(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back