HD800 and T1 musings...
Apr 30, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #661 of 1,024

Quote:
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have a question regarding these two phones. I read most of the posts and got pretty good descriptions about both headphones, and I'm leaning towards the HD800 currently but maybe you guys can help me. I currently own broken HD595's and Denon AHD2000's. I listen to mostly metal and most people recommended me the D2000's but I actually prefer the HD595's for the metal I listen to (mostly progressive, some death, but generally metal with higher production qualities). What sounds more similar to the HD595s, the T1 or the HD800? Most people make it sound like the HD has an insanely wide soundstage, I feel like the 595's is pretty wide too, but I haven't really seen any direct comparisons between the two. Is the HD800 just a much better sounding 595?

I've been deliberating on which one to get, but I want to be sure I'm going to like the sound. The problem is the nearest place to me for listening to these things is nearly 2 1/2 hours away.

=(

Both are fantastic cans and I still have them (more than 2 years after I started this thread). I don't think there is a wrong decision between the two, just what's more right for you. IMO based on your comments, I think the T1s might be more to your liking (like the HD595 and the better heavy metal headphone IMO of course).

May 3, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #662 of 1,024
Quote:

Both are fantastic cans and I still have them (more than 2 years after I started this thread). I don't think there is a wrong decision between the two, just what's more right for you. IMO based on your comments, I think the T1s might be more to your liking (like the HD595 and the better heavy metal headphone IMO of course).

Well said. Both are fantastic headphones. I have both HD800 and T1's recabled to balanced with piccilino cable and both of them sound great with a higher grade cable (standard HD800 cable is dire IMO).

My personal taste would sway towards the T1's, just because I prefer the sound signature a little. Both need a really good amplifier pairing to sing, but the HD800's I would say are a little more difficult to get 100% right.

Hd800s are one of the most comfortable headphones ever made however and this will be important to many people. R10 is about the only headphone that I think is even more comfortable than HD800.

Jun 1, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #664 of 1,024
Quote:
Which one of theese two references is the most confortable one to sleep with, please? Can anyone who own both tell me which's more recomended, confortable, to use while in bed?
Thanks!!

HD800s...for comfort.

Jun 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #665 of 1,024
Quote:
Which one of theese two references is the most confortable one to sleep with, please? Can anyone who own both tell me which's more recomended, confortable, to use while in bed?
Thanks!!

I think the HD800 is more comfortable in general but due to size in bed the T1 will be easier to use. I actually use the T70 in bed which are also the same size as the T1. I own the 3 of them.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jun 3, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #666 of 1,024
First of all I have to tell you, that I don't "believe" in -what I call "hifi-voodoo"- e.g. cable sound, etc.

I'm kind of an emotional and rational listener and fully aware of that the brain is our main instrument for listening to music and that you really can't completely rely on your brain, because it often fools you.
One day, a piece of music can sound just wonderful using these or those headphones, the other day with the same music and headphones it can be a very different situation.

Nevertheless I'll try to point out the differences between both headphones in the following lines.

Now on to T1 vs. HD800:

I like the HD800 better than the T1 in general, because:

- it's more comfortable
- it has beautiful mids
- the sound is slightly less dark
- the sound is overall slightly clearer
- it has a wider extension in the bass department
- it has a good kick in the bass
- its highs are more aggressive when it comes to violins and brass (I LIKE IT VERY MUCH)
- the soundstage is more holographic
- it has a better separation of instruments
- very good recordings sound simply stunning compared to the T1, which "only" sounds very good here
- HD800 is technically better than T1
wink.gif
(okay, that's no real reason for me)
- HD800 has "The Force" (Dark Side of cause...
very_evil_smiley.gif
)
[- it sounds very slightly more "real"/"true" (but that's really hard to tell, and maybe a wrong impression, because no one knows how a single recording should sound like)]

What I like about the T1 against the HD800 is:

- its mids are also very beautiful
- it has a very slightly better kick in the bass
- its soundstage feels slightly deeper and more intimate, mainly because it's less broad (sometimes this can be an advantage)
- its imaging is also some kind of holographic, but not to the level of the HD800
- it is much more sturdy built (the HD800's painting can be a pain in the ass...)
- violins just sound silky (instead of aggressive like on the HD800 and sometimes I like that silkiness)
- bad records sometimes sound better, but HD650 truly is the master here
- T1 has "The Schwartz"
biggrin.gif

Both headphones are luckily "Made in Germany", which I personally find to be a bonus point against other headphones like e.g. the big Denons ("Made in China") , too.

Just my two cents.

Feel free to disagree...
beerchug.gif

Jun 4, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #667 of 1,024
Hi Skylab,
I own the DT990/600 and I'm wondering if you could compare its bass with the T1.
Thanks!
Peter

Quote:
In my opinion, yes definitely - and I also own and like very much the DT990/600.

Quote:
I am a very happy owner of DT990 600 ohms phones. Would the T1 be a big step up?

​

Jun 11, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #668 of 1,024
^ i'm no skylab, but having owned both headphones, i can give you my impressions for now. 

the T1 has slightly less bass than the DT 990/600, but more than the DT 880. the bass is of higher quality and goes deeper than the DT 990. the slight sacrifice in bass is totally worth the better overall sound. (notice the word "slight"). the bass maintains the typical beyer sound as well.

in terms of mids/highs, the T1 is a pretty big step up from the DT 990s, much more detail in the mids, more resolving, much clearer, with better controlled highs. the tonal qualities of the T1 are way better than the DT 990 as well, which can sound artificial at times.

the differences is quite substantial really, also i find the T1 slightly easier to drive than the DT 990s.

Jul 3, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #669 of 1,024
Thank god i found this thread. I'm looking to get a good pair of headphones and the T1s have been on my watchlist for some time now. Hopefully someone here could chime in on whether this headphone (or even the HD800) would suit my musical tastes.

What im looking for is a headphone that has a big soundstage, excellent detail retrieval, good bass, and perhaps most importantly, plays nice with modern music which i listen to a lot! 

A few of the artists i listen to include:

Ashanti  (Rnb)
Bow Wow (Rap/Rnb)
Cassie (RnB)
Chris Brown (RnB/Dance)
David Guetta (Dance/Electronic)
Drake (Hip Hop)
Skrillex (Dubstep)
Lady Gaga (Pop)
London Elektricity (Drum n' Bass)
Mariah Carey (RnB)
Nicki Minaj (RnB/Hip Hop)
Nicole Scherzinger (Pop)
Pendulum (Drum n' bass)
Rihanna (Pop)
Serge Devant (House)

As you can see, i pretty much listen to all kinds of genres. Moslty modern music if that matters. Im not too into jazz or classical which the HD800 excels at.

Would the T1 be a good fit? Im planning on pairing it with the Woo Audio WA2 and Schiit Bifrost.

Jul 3, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #670 of 1,024
The T1's are very versatile and suit most music very well. The Woo2 would be a very good match as well so I say yes go for it.

Jul 3, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #671 of 1,024
Quote:
The T1's are very versatile and suit most music very well. The Woo2 would be a very good match as well so I say yes go for it.

Thanks for the swift response! In this case, would you say the T1s are a better choice than the HD800s? I would assume yes...

edit: maybe i should rephrase. Are the HD800s even a good fit for the kind of music i listen to?

Jul 3, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #672 of 1,024
Quote:

Thanks for the swift response! In this case, would you say the T1s are a better choice than the HD800s? I would assume yes...

thats hard to say. ive had both and both are very very good.  if i could only have one, id pick the T1, if i could have more than one, id pick both.  the hd800 are special but if i dont have a nice compliment, then there are times when i probably would want to listen to them. thus, i ended up rebuying the T1 but i do miss the hd800.

Jul 3, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #673 of 1,024
I own both and both are recabled with the OCC Copper Zeus. I personally like the HD800 more. With the Zeus thier bass improved quite a bit but still very detailed and a huge sound stage.
The T1 might be more fun to listen but IMO they are not as refined in the sound. One thing I don't like about the T1 is that they are very picky of their position in your head. If the cups move forward (toward your face) the sound gets darker, if they move back then they get sharper and if the move around a little bit the soundstage balance totally moves.

The thing is with the kind of music you are listing maybe the T1 are the better ones for you BUT the soundstage is not as big as the one in the HD800. IMO among the dynamic headphones the HD800 are the one emulating the sound of speakrs the best. If soundstaging is critical for you then I would go with the HD800.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jul 3, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #674 of 1,024
Quote:
I own both and both are recabled with the OCC Copper Zeus. I personally like the HD800 more. With the Zeus thier bass improved quite a bit but still very detailed and a huge sound stage.
The T1 might be more fun to listen but IMO they are not as refined in the sound. One thing I don't like about the T1 is that they are very picky of their position in your head. If the cups move forward (toward your face) the sound gets darker, if they move back then they get sharper and if the move around a little bit the soundstage balance totally moves.

The thing is with the kind of music you are listing maybe the T1 are the better ones for you BUT the soundstage is not as big as the one in the HD800. IMO among the dynamic headphones the HD800 are the one emulating the sound of speakrs the best. If soundstaging is critical for you then I would go with the HD800.

i agree with everything said here, but with certain songs/genres, i found the HD800 to be slightly unpleasant. when the hd800 sounds right, in my humble opinion, it is hard to beat (granted, my headphone experience is limited to headphones under 1500$).

Jul 3, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #675 of 1,024
Quote:

The soundstage is quite important to me. The HD800 is king there, but from what i've gathered in this thread the T1 has a wide soundstage too.

If the HD800 emulates the sound of speakers best, then why do they not suit the music i listen to as well as the T1? Are speakers not suited for modern music? I never really understood this. Headphones in general try to reproduce sound the way it is recorded, and if the HD800 is very accurate in this regard, then why would it not be suited for modern music? It's conveying the sound to us the way the artists intended right? 

Im not having a go at you, im just trying to better understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back