HD650s without an amp
Sep 12, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #16 of 27

Quote:
Well the M50 is good at everything, kinda boring, worth every penny at $100. Now at $159 not so much, in my opinion you'd be better off with the Sony V6 which sound almost as good to me and are half the price. If I were you I would use that $159 for that e7/e9 combo that is going for $185 on amazon right now and get the better headphone HD600/HD650, one of the beyers, an ultrasone maybe.
Edit: Some Ultrasones dont really need an amp, I would get the HFI 780 over the M50

isnt there a review somewhere around here on the new monoprice dj headphones that compares directly to the m50? at 20 dollars, it's a steal.

Sep 12, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #17 of 27

Quote:
Sell the Beats and buy a more powerful amp. 
wink.gif

just a thought. 

Listen to the man. He's a genius. That never actually crossed my mind...

Sep 12, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #19 of 27
The HD650s will be fine unamped.  Personally, I'd wait for a proper full amp instead of jumping on the amp bandwagon as soon as possible.  Besides, that will let you get used to the sound signature of the Senns to make sure you like it before you dip into any further funds.  Also, that will let the experience of hearing a "proper" amp that much more entertaining.  However, if you don't want to wait long enough to save for a full amp, check out the Audinst HUD-mx1.  Yes, it isn't on Amazon (most of everything you'll find on this site is either off Amazon or over-priced on Amazon, get used to it), but I got mine in a few days from Korea for around $189 or something like that.  It pushes my HD650s to plenty loud levels and will be more than enough for a while.  At least, of course, until you go back to this website in a few months and see what $500 will buy you...

Sep 12, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #20 of 27
Thanks. I was looking at the E7E9 beacuse I need a portable amp as-well as a DAC. Does the E9 act as a good DAC?

Sep 13, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #21 of 27
You dont want to buy 650's with a plan on listening to them without an amp... My old amp died not too long ago and I had to go without an amp on my 650's for about a month while I was deciding on what the replacement should be. Not good times...

Although once the 650's are powered properlly they are a set of headphones to fall in love with :) 

However, the 650's also have the best resell value I have ever seen in a pair of cans. The things just dont depreciate. I got my 650's for $300 about 3 years ago and I could probably sell them for even more now. Nothing stopping you from buying a pair now and then selling them a few months later for the same amount if you find that you still cant afford an amp.

I am currently running
PC -> Matrix Mini-I -> Lovely Cube - > 650

Sep 13, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #22 of 27
Good news or bad news depending on how you look at it
with the HD 650.

They will upscale and upscale yet again as you keep
improving your source in terms of material fidelity,
DAC and amplifier.

What does this mean? An E7/E9 is not going
to give you 100% of what they are capable of.

They will be nice though, just keep in mind
that fully decked out with a stellar amp,
standalone mid range DAC and upgraded
cables they remain a high end contender.

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #23 of 27
i'm using the hd650s right now without an amp.. still deciding on one. i have em plugged into the speakers. you cannot tell the flat sound as if you went from listening from amp powered to ampless.
it sounds 100 times better than my other headphones i was using, but once you go amp and try to go ampless your ears will not like it.

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #24 of 27

Quote:
i'm using the hd650s right now without an amp.. still deciding on one. i have em plugged into the speakers. you cannot tell the flat sound as if you went from listening from amp powered to ampless.
it sounds 100 times better than my other headphones i was using, but once you go amp and try to go ampless your ears will not like it.

ikr? good headphones, especially high impedance ones really need an amp to sound their best. it was night and day for me. just sounded alot better than from an ipod/cheap sound card.

Jan 6, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #25 of 27

Quote:
ikr? good headphones, especially high impedance ones really need an amp to sound their best. it was night and day for me. just sounded alot better than from an ipod/cheap sound card.

+1

I personally wouldn't even recommend the 650 without an amp, but if you have to wait, and you want the 650, might as well live with it while you save up a little cash.  I have not heard the 650 with a huge range of equipment, nonetheless anything truly exceptional. With proper equipment, they supposedly scale up pretty damn nice though.  I think they're nice cans that will sound good with a basic amp that can also make good use of future upgrades.

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #27 of 27
it wouldn't be a bad choice.

and w00t 1000 postss!#@!#

Users who are viewing this thread

Back