Hd650 or blue dragon cable - which one do I sell?
Sep 30, 2011 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bookaboo

100+ Head-Fier
Just wanted to get some opinions on which part of my setup to change to get a more clean /less bloated sound. I have the hd650 with a moon audio blue dragon cable and am thinking of either changing cable to the silver dragon or changing headphone to the hd600. Or maybe sell the both of them and get the hd598. I need to stick with senns as I am sensitive to treble although I am curious about the Hifiman he300. I have a pair of dt250/250 as a closed pair which I find the balance perfect and am looking for something similar out of my open reference pair.

I am running the headphones out of a benchmark dac 1

I listen to mainly acoustic, folk, country,classic rock, etc

Thanks in advance

Sep 30, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 6
This will be interesting to follow as I use the HD 580's and just ordered a Blue Dragon cable for them. I can't give you anything...to help you, as far as info goes.

However, I'd suggest suggest selling both and getting the HD 598's for your style of music choices.

I am sure you will get plenty of help with this questions...

Sep 30, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #3 of 6
Id sell neither
wink_face.gif

Sep 30, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 6
Does anybody feel I would get more along the lines of what I'm looking for from a hd600 or hd650? Or will the silver dragon bring the sound I want out of my hd650s? I had the headphone blacksilver cable at one stage and didn't like it's dryness - although I did like it's detail. Has anybody had any experience with the silver dragon and does that bring the same silver qualities to the hd650 without the dryness? I like the warmth and naturalness of the blue dragon but I would like a little more detail and clarity.

Oct 12, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #6 of 6
so to bring the thread to some sort of closure, i sold both the hd650 and the blue dragon cable and bought a hd600 which is much closer to the sound i was searching for with the hd650 and the multitude of cable and op amp tweaks i tried. so i guess the moral to the story is if you are not entirely sold on the overall sound signature of a particular headphone, instead of trying to mold the headphone to your will - you should just try another headphone. on the otherhand if the sound is almost there to your liking you should feel free to mod and spend as many $$ as you can to reach your ideal. that being said i have just ordered the hd650 cable for the hd600 as i liked it best with my hd650 - ahead of the blue dragon and headphile blacksilver and at $30 is a worthwile spend even if all it gets me is a thicker cable with a 1/4" jack although it is reported on these forums that i will hear an improvement. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back