HD600 vs HD650 vs Maddogs vs DT880's for metal/rock and all-round use.
Jun 13, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #91 of 106
Quote:

Oh, daleb! I remember you from the meet. I never did get your opinion of the HD600.

I loved it! It was my favorite headphone at the meet. I might even like it more then the HD800s. Then again, I didn't get to try those with my own music and had to use songs I'm not familiar with at all, so that could cause a few judgement errors.

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #92 of 106
Quote:
I loved it! It was my favorite headphone at the meet. I might even like it more then the HD800s. Then again, I didn't get to try those with my own music and had to use songs I'm not familiar with at all, so that could cause a few judgement errors.

Nice! The HD800 was technically better, but I think I may prefer the HD600's sound sig too,

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #94 of 106
Quote:
I prefer the DT880, it's just good at everything really.

I agree. Out of all the headphones I have listened to, I couldn't really find a better all rounder. The only headphones that I have listened to that I have even considered selling my DT880 for were the Stax O2 and the LCD-2 (which I want to purchase next). Saying this, I would even say the DT880 could be a better all rounder than the LCD-2 and I believe the DT880 would be an easier headphone to live with if it were someone's only headphone (comfort wise definitely). 

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #95 of 106
I moved to the 880 from an LCD-2 via HE-500. Mind you, it was a Rev1, and I think I'd like the Rev2 better, but ultimately with both orthos it was the weight and sheer bulk that beat me. The 880 gave me a sound slightly less resolving and dynamic, but at least as neutral and with much greater comfort, at a fraction of the price. A no-brainer really.

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #96 of 106
I just bought a LCD-2 rev 2.2 rosewood just then (will be a couple of weeks until I get it most likely) and have sold my DT880. Quite a jump in price, but as with everything in life really, cost v improvement is exponential. I have owned the DT880 for over 3 years now and am simply after something different. I could be perfectly happy with the DT880 forever, but if I have the cash, why not spend it 
size]
 I think I will get the Vegan pads for the LCD-2 so it's a bit more comfortable (although I didn't find the LCD-2 with leather earpads uncomfortable). The great thing with the Dt880 for me, was that they don't really have to be paired with an expensive amp to sound great. To be honest, I barely noticed a difference between $200 amps and $1500 amps. Sure there were some slight sound signature differences, but I never heard an amp that made be go wow. Just pair them with a decent amplifier (tubes sound best imo) and you're set. The same thing applied for EQ adjustments. With the LCD-2 on the other hand, a powerful amp definitely makes a difference and I can hear big changes in sound with EQ adjustments. Strange, as I would have expected the DT880 to respond much better to EQ. 

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #97 of 106
I love my DT880/600, my only gripe with it is some rock music can sound shrill on it. I normally listen to ambient and electronica the most though, so that's not even really a concern. The HD600 is a tad more comfortable. It doesn't sound as lush and luxurious as the 880, IMO.

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #98 of 106
Quote:
Strange, as I would have expected the DT880 to respond much better to EQ. 

Well, the 880 is essentially flat save for that 6.5khz peak, so once you've got that sorted there's not a lot to do. For that matter, apart from boosting the treble a little I'm not sure there's a lot to do with the LCD-2, is there?

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #99 of 106
Quote:

Well, the 880 is essentially flat save for that 6.5khz peak, so once you've got that sorted there's not a lot to do. For that matter, apart from boosting the treble a little I'm not sure there's a lot to do with the LCD-2, is there?

The LCD-2, bass-wise I left alone. I boosted the mids slightly (they sound amazing, and I just wanted some more of that 
size]
) and the highs I boosted a bit, but to be honest, even coming from DT880, the highs on the LCD-2 do not bother me and I am completely fine with them as-is. The DT880 I tend to boost the bass a bit and tame the highs very slightly and leave the mids (aftermarket cable made a world of difference to the mids). 

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #101 of 106
Quote:
Aftermarket cable? On the 880?

Yeah, well a recable. Cost as much as the headphones did but I loved the DT880 and knew exactly I wanted improved on it and the recable did exactly that, so it was 100% worth it. I am just interested in a complete change of sound signature now, hence the LCD-2.

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #103 of 106
Quote:
He recabled them. I'm tempted to do it but after the scare I got when I did it on the dt770s, I'm not touching the dt880s.

Interesting. Care to elaborate? 

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #104 of 106
Interesting. Care to elaborate? 

I ruined a driver on the 770s I didn't realize the contact post on the driver was pretty much just glued on. When you hit it with the iron, it gets loose really fast and moves. Ended up snapping the driver wiring trying to get the post back in place. Ordered new drivers and tried again. pita. :/

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #105 of 106
Quote:
I ruined a driver on the 770s I didn't realize the contact post on the driver was pretty much just glued on. When you hit it with the iron, it gets loose really fast and moves. Ended up snapping the driver wiring trying to get the post back in place. Ordered new drivers and tried again. pita. :/

Ah... that sucks man. Thanks for the reply!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back