HD600 vs HD650 vs Maddogs vs DT880's for metal/rock and all-round use.
Mar 26, 2013 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 106

quarrymen

New Head-Fier
Dear Head-Fiers,

I'm looking for an all-round headphone that will see use in music, movies and gaming.

I was previously considering a DT880 paired with a tube amp but now I've read that headphones like the DT880, HD600 and HD650 are only good for classical and jazz, and are not in the slightest suited for rock/metal.

I know that for rock/metal most head-fiers will recommend me a pair of Grado headphones, but I'm afraid of discomfort and too much colored sound. I surely want to use the headphones for other genres besides rock/metal but I don't want them to suffer on rock/metal either.

I read that the Mad Dog sounds alot like the Audeze LCD-2 and that the Audeze handles rock pretty well.

So my question is: "What would be the best all-round headphone that doesn't suffer at rock/metal, from the ones listed above?"

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #2 of 106
I use my HD650's for rock and I think they're great for that. The laid back sound is very pleasing. I think the DT880's you were originally looking at would be an excellent option as well.

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 106
I can only speak for the DT880s, the only ones that I have/tried. My experience with metal is limited but I do listen to rock and rock is good on the 880s, especially blues-y /jazz kind of rock like Black Keys. I tried listening to some metal on Spotify and it's pretty iffy for me. Some were good, some not so. It depended on the recording. An example would be Metallia self-titled album, for all those tracks, the mids were waaaaay recessed and sounded bad but Loaded was good. The mastering really makes a diff with the 880s. Hope you found this semi-useful. good luck with the search!

Mar 27, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #4 of 106
So the myth that all-round headphones like the HD600, HD650 and DT880 suck for metal is busted?

I recall many people saying that they are too polite and that they were a snoozefest with those genres.

I'm also interested if anybody could give their opnion on how metal/rock sounds with the Maddogs.

Mar 27, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #5 of 106
Quote:
So the myth that all-round headphones like the HD600, HD650 and DT880 suck for metal is busted?

I recall many people saying that they are too polite and that they were a snoozefest with those genres.

I'm also interested if anybody could give their opnion on how metal/rock sounds with the Maddogs.

That's not really a myth as much as an opinion. Some find them too laid back, others find Grado's too aggressive etc. Some others again will say it depends on the amp. Not really much to go on.

IMO any music that's well recorded sounds good on the HD600/650 (I own both). Dunno about the other headphones you mentioned.

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #6 of 106
I have the HD 600's and AKG 702 65th anniversary  and I mostly listen to rock and some metal. I do find the 600's a little polite sounding but the biggest thing with them is making sure they are properly amplified. I had them for years and barely used them because I didn't have adequate amplification so they sounded really flat and lifeless. They really came alive when I got a decent amp. The 702's are definately more lively than the 600's but reveal flaws in bad recordings more. I had read many times that Grados were the head phones for rock and I've tried a bunch of them but they never grew on me.
     I would be curious to try out the Maddogs or Paradox, I tried the LCD 2's and found them too dark sounding

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #7 of 106
The Mad dogs are some what polite, they are very smooth sounding and have very minimum sparkly treble.

defguy,

I heard the Mad dogs sounds similar to the LCD 2.  My experience with the Mad dogs are that they sound slightly dark and combined with warmth. If you don't like the LCD 2, you might not enjoy the Mad dogs.  Just make sure you have a decent amp for the Mad dog and maybe an amp that has a slight treble emphasis as I think that would be a good compliment to the MD.

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #8 of 106
Quote:
I was previously considering a DT880 paired with a tube amp but now I've read that headphones like the DT880, HD600 and HD650 are only good for classical and jazz, and are not in the slightest suited for rock/metal.

I would consider both the DT880 and HD600 excellent choices for any genre of music, they're close to neutral so they do everything well.

I don't listen to much rock/metal however my brother does and after a few years of trying different headphones he's now rocking the HD650 and finds them perfect for it.

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #10 of 106
I have owned the HD 650, DT 880, and Grado 325i. The DT 880 was indeed very flat and neutral, but for me that just wasn't any fun and I simply got bored listening to them. I recently received the HD 650 and I love them, although I must admit that I predict myself preferring them over the Grado 325i's for everything BUT hard rock/metal. They do well with slower, "darker" rock music, but for music that has a lot of fast electric guitar I can't see the DT 880 or the HD 650 beating out my 325i's. The HD 650 doesn't sound BAD with this kind of music, it just doesn't quite compete with the 325i's. I haven't listened to the 600 but if I had to guess it probably has a sound somewhere between the DT 880 and HD 650 (probably closer to the 650, but a bit more neutral). Again, haven't listened to them though. 

FWIW I use(d) all these headphones with the Schiit Valhalla tube amplifier and Audioengine D1 DAC. 

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #11 of 106
No, I'm not saying to stay away from the MD as I don't really listen to Metal.  To really determine if the MD are what you want read the thread created for them. There are a lot of opinions and description.  I can tell you what they sound like, but I wouldn't be comfortable telling if they do well with Metal.  They sound good with rock though.  The MD really truly do sound good, but some may find it not fitting if they don't like warm, closed, neutral, and slightly dark sounding headphones. For some, a warm, closed, neutral sounding headphone can translate to being slightly boring. Other things they excel on are the mids, just fantastic and very forward with some lushness for both male and female. None offensive treble, but at the same time low sparkling energy.  For me, I think if one like this type of sound they will love what the MD can dish out for them with extras topping.  They are also very comfortable and solid built.

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #12 of 106
In case you were curious, Negakinu, an esteemed metalhead around these parts, got to test the MD's mettle at a headphone meet. I trust his perspective and is more experienced than I; here is a thread he posts in that might help elucidate about the MDs and metal, and as compared (briefly) to others in your list.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/637271/metal-post-rock-headphones#post_8885054

From my experience, the MD's they're really great all-rounders with a balanced, smooth sound that's made my otherwise harsh metal recordings more listenable, while still retaining sonority and note weight. They do love a lot of power, though, and sound fairly unimpressive unamped.

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #13 of 106
Another slightly out of the box suggestion would be to try out the Harman Kardon BT. I just picked up a pair and they sound a little like my AKG's but with more bass. I've just been listening to them on my home rig and I'm pretty impressed. I find a lot of rock and metal can benefit from good solid bass.

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #14 of 106
Quote:
Dear Head-Fiers,

I'm looking for an all-round headphone that will see use in music, movies and gaming.

I know that for rock/metal most head-fiers will recommend me a pair of Grado headphones, but I'm afraid of discomfort and too much colored sound. I surely want to use the headphones for other genres besides rock/metal but I don't want them to suffer on rock/metal either.

I read that the Mad Dog sounds alot like the Audeze LCD-2 and that the Audeze handles rock pretty well.

So my question is: "What would be the best all-round headphone that doesn't suffer at rock/metal, from the ones listed above?"

Well whoever wrote that is dumb. All I listen to on the HD 580/600/650's is rock an electronic and they're amazing. 

I don't think many people take Grado seriously any more. They are only for people who like insanely bright/inaccurate sound. 

Certainly avoid the modified T50RP's as they are very boring and not as detailed compared to the Senns. 

AKG's are also really boring because of severe lack of dynamics.

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #15 of 106
Lol, see? Some will find them boring. Others will put them on there top list. I find them to be some what boring, but good In its own way. I might give another shot some day if I have extra cash as I do enjoy there mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back