HD600 cable upgrade - worth it?
Jun 12, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #61 of 275
No, the title of the thread is clearly "HD600 cable upgrade"
wink_face.gif

I'm looking (or was) to upgrade the cable on my HD600s (its also in my sig.)

I actually just received my HD650 cable "upgrade", for $19 I figure I can't go wrong. I'll report back with any difference I find. sp70.

Quote:

Mmmmm,

So your phones are SR80's yet you want to spend $200 on a cable?

What do you think will give you more improvement for your buck, a $200 cable or a Headphone upgrade?

Anyone who advises you to go for the cable is a 

[size=2.8em] charlatan[/size]

Jun 12, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #63 of 275

Quote:

Oh OK, sure $19 there is nothing to loose.

But you did ask if $200+ cable makes a difference.

I bet it does as not all cables sound the same. The question is does it improve the SQ over a decent, well made cable? Hardly if any

Jun 12, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #65 of 275

Quote:
I actually just received my HD650 cable "upgrade", for $19 I figure I can't go wrong. I'll report back with any difference I find. sp70.

Did you order from Sennheiser?  If not, where did you get it?

Quote:
The Cardas cable are being sold for a $100 or less used on these forums so that isn't as bad.

Does the used Cardas cable you're talking about sound $80 better than the Sennheiser replacement cable?

Jun 12, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #66 of 275

Yes, I ordered from Sennheiser. I originally started this thread to try and figure out if those expensive ($80 more, 200 more, whatever) really make any difference for what your paying. Thus far i've not gotten a) any great evidence that its worth the extra large sum or b) any overwhelming amount of even simple opinions that it is. So, i've just decided to go for the cheapest option and see for myself. Unless of course someone out there has some nice aftermarket HD600 cables they want to get rid of so I could review them.
devil_face.gif
sp70.
Quote:
Did you order from Sennheiser?  If not, where did you get it?

Does the used Cardas cable you're talking about sound $80 better than the Sennheiser replacement cable?

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #67 of 275
Well, I'm too late to join in the bashfest, but perhaps my experience may help.

On my HD650, I tried several cables, and found that the Silver Dragon made a big difference over the stock cables. Much more detailed in the upper ranges and just more articulate overall. Of course, I drive them with a nice tube amp, so that makes a difference as well. To be fair, there was another cable whose name I forget that sounded just awful.

Fwiw, I was born with a significant hearing loss and have to rely on terribad lowfi hearing aids to function in society(even though they cost thousands!). As a result, my ears are very well trained and picking out differences in SQ due to equipment changes is unfortunately too easy. :)

Jun 13, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #68 of 275
Blorton could it be that the silver cables just make the sound brighter which then creates the illusion that music becomes more detailed?

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #69 of 275
Well after two days with my HD650 cable, I hate to say it, but I do hear a difference. I like what i'm hearing too, and hopefully things will change even more with a little bit of break in. Now, it all could be placebo, but I *think* I hear a difference. More bass, sparklier highs.

Also no more occasional crackle sound I was getting with my old cable. At this point, i'd really be interested in auditioning some other cables just to simply see if I can hear anymore difference, though for now I think i'm pretty happy with my ~$20 cable upgrade. :wink: sp70.

Jun 14, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #70 of 275

Quote:
Well after two days with my HD650 cable, I hate to say it, but I do hear a difference. I like what i'm hearing too, and hopefully things will change even more with a little bit of break in. Now, it all could be placebo, but I *think* I hear a difference. More bass, sparklier highs.

Also no more occasional crackle sound I was getting with my old cable. At this point, i'd really be interested in auditioning some other cables just to simply see if I can hear anymore difference, though for now I think i'm pretty happy with my ~$20 cable upgrade. :wink: sp70.

Sounds like the original cable may have been defective, especially since you were hearing a crackle sound.

Jun 14, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #71 of 275

Only occasionally, like if i'd move the cable around alot. I think it was just starting to short. The sound wasn't bad to begin with, I wouldn't necessarily call it defective. sp70.
Quote:
Sounds like the original cable may have been defective, especially since you were hearing a crackle sound.

Jun 14, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #72 of 275

Quote:
Only occasionally, like if i'd move the cable around alot. I think it was just starting to short. The sound wasn't bad to begin with, I wouldn't necessarily call it defective. sp70.

Good luck with cables.  Your mileage will definitely vary there.

As to the comments against such a venture, your mileage will definitely vary no matter what piece of gear you choose to get or improve on.  There are currently ongoing threads about the value of amps and dacs and that cheap solutions work just as well as the very expensive ones etc., etc....  very much like the stuff here about cables.  However, lest Head-fi perish, those threads don't garner nearly as much support on the 'no benefits' side of the fence as with cables.

I'll leave your financial priorities to you.

Jun 17, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #73 of 275
I just got the price for a stock HD800 cable from Sennheiser; $160 HOLY CRAP! I could buy a used cardas for 100$ and reterminate the leads myself for ~$50
but 19$ for the 650 cable, damn
To the OP, if possible contact some of the cable techs here on Head-Fi, some can copy cables so you can save money.

Jun 17, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #75 of 275
I've also heard that 6x0s with the silver dragon sound a little more neutral or articulate in mids and highs and the bass is a little less pronounced. I prefer the blue dragon to be honest the copper vs silver makes a difference.

Blue dragon is cheaper too
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back