HD600 cable upgrade - worth it?
Jun 18, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #78 of 275

Quote:
Did you order from Sennheiser?  If not, where did you get it?

Does the used Cardas cable you're talking about sound $80 better than the Sennheiser replacement cable?

Again regarding his later posts, unless we have a blind test, it's impossible to remove bias from our impressions to decide if we would reject our null that there is no difference between stock and aftermarket.  I personally have tried to tests a few times with my cardas but my tests are still inconclusive as it's never a blind test.

We just won't know for sure.

Jun 18, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #79 of 275
I own several Senn cables including the 600 and 650 cables. The Cardas is a much better. It doesn't sound crummy like the factory Senn cables. Very neutral sounding. It is an upgrade for sure compared 600 and 650 cables.

Jun 18, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #80 of 275
Hey Poppa.  Would cables of a more expensive and exotic construction offer subjective improvement over the Cardas cable - or are they just objectively a different flavor, not necessarily better technically...You know what I mean right?  I can get the Cardas in Australia relatively cheaply compared to ordering o/seas with the likes of Zu etc.  Cheers.

Jun 18, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #81 of 275
With Cardas they make their own wire and connectors. So the quality is there. If you are looking for a neutral sound Cardas is a good choice. A little boring for me. I would define the sound you are looking for in a Senn cable and go from there.

Jun 18, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #82 of 275
I am loving how my current tube amp.  It really opens the midrange like never before - the treble is so sweet but there is a little less of it - this tube amp infinitely sweetens the treble, but also rolls it off a touch.  I was thinking pure silver, less tempted with silver plated copper as I think they will take some of the midrange magic - perhaps a pure copper design will be able to open up the treble - I am not so sure.

Jun 23, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #83 of 275
SO SORRY "fjf"

Quote:
You are not THAT important, my friend :wink:

IF you're calling me "not that important", then I'm glad "that"never really bothered me in all of my 57yrs!  I do get a laugh out of others thinking of oneself as being important!......You can Rattle someone Else's chain,OK!    "Words Fell"--Lucinda Williams
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #84 of 275

Quote:
In another thread that you were involved in I'm pretty sure I was asked the same question, specifically relating to my experience with recabling my HD600s. I have tried four different cables (and stock) and heard no difference of note. The one I've settled on now is a custom recable from ebay that looks like some of the ALO recables at a fraction of the price and ironically still has a more expensive quarter inch plug than the ALO. Looks nice, sounds identical to stock. The other cables I tried were the Cardas, SAA, and a custom Kimber recable from ebay. I've also tried the HD650 cable which merely has a thicker plastic coating - no difference in any of these in ABX tests.

I do have to wonder how one would go about doing an ABX test with headphone cables. I'm assuming you have someone else there to switch the cables for you while you sit there blindfolded?

Jun 23, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #85 of 275

Quote:
You are not THAT important, my friend :wink:

Hey fjf. it's your friend again!  I took the time to read every post on this poor guys OP, and you BIG DADDY and your comments are "OUT THERE"  maybe you need to go back and read your ramblings, but remember "This is from a "NOT THAT IMPORTANT PERSON"  SAD!

Jun 23, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #86 of 275

Quote:
Again regarding his later posts, unless we have a blind test, it's impossible to remove bias from our impressions to decide if we would reject our null that there is no difference between stock and aftermarket.  I personally have tried to tests a few times with my cardas but my tests are still inconclusive as it's never a blind test.

We just won't know for sure.

As long as this thread has deteriorated into name calling, I'm going to change the subject by asking flaming_j about his T-1 impressions. 

f_j, I see you also have 880s, so, if you would, give us the rundown on the T-1s relative to the 880s.

USG

Jun 23, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #87 of 275
HD650 user here with upgraded cable.  I went with the Ohno Cast pure copper cable, with a Furutech plug and Cardas connectors all of it braided.  So this is about as good as it gets...

Cables are voodoo/snake oil IMO.  I don't mind using them and won't part with them, it's a fun thing to do if you like your headphones.

But I can't vouch to say they make an ounce of difference.  It's placebo.  When you first get them, you'll think wow.  But after a while when you have a chance to listen, you'll realize the stock cables and upgraded sound the same.

Also often I prefer the stock cable.  The stock cable is more flexible and lighter.  In many ways the stock cable is preferable and better.  All I would do is replace the plug with a Furutech plug.  Not that it will sound better, I just love the heft, weight and appearance of the Furutech plug.

Jun 24, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #89 of 275
Is an aftermarket cable worth it on a 600?  No, not in 2010 anyway.  When they were tops it made sense, now that better cans can be had for granted more money its like pimping out a Camaro LT instead of buying the SS.

That said the cable will make a difference but its minor especially on modest gear.  When I had the 650 I went through some different aftermarket cables comparing them against the others and to the stock.  Differences yes, massive sweaping easy to spot, point to graph type changes?  No.  Same for interconnects but good luck getting me to part with mine 
wink_face.gif

Jun 24, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #90 of 275

Quote:
Is an aftermarket cable worth it on a 600?  No, not in 2010 anyway.  When they were tops it made sense, now that better cans can be had for granted more money its like pimping out a Camaro LT instead of buying the SS.

That said the cable will make a difference but its minor especially on modest gear.  When I had the 650 I went through some different aftermarket cables comparing them against the others and to the stock.  Differences yes, massive sweaping easy to spot, point to graph type changes?  No.  Same for interconnects but good luck getting me to part with mine 
wink_face.gif

I have my HD600's at the office and love them... a lot.  I also own the HD800's and Ed8's.

I don't agree with what you say since the HD600's are special in their own way and recabled, will better (for me at least), a lot of more expensive and current cans out there now.  The age of the HD600's and any other can for that matter, is a smoke screen that too many cannot see through and headphone manufacturers love this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back