HD555 internals. Anyone want to help compare to HD595 (For future Mods)
Jan 21, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #16 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebeauchamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The yellow on the driver is actually the magnet behind it, one of the two drivers' magnet has a way yellower metal.

Try them with the foam and without and see if you notice a difference. I'm guessing it will be damn subtle though, as the frequency graphs between the two headphones seem to be damn similar anyways (with the difference probably only being due to production and testing variation)

graphCompare.php

Yes, this makes allot of sense. The slight drop in the bass makes sense, seeing as the hd 555 would be more closed. People say the HD 595 sound clearer, crisper, with a slightly wider soundstage. Seems logical to me.

I'm not even sure if it's worth my time for a purely subjective difference.

Jan 21, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #17 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, this makes allot of sense. The slight drop in the bass makes sense, seeing as the hd 555 would be more closed. People say the HD 595 sound clearer, crisper, with a slightly wider soundstage. Seems logical to me.

I'm not even sure if it's worth my time for a purely subjective difference.

They are clearer and crisper with a wider soundstage, but they also have deeper bass and stronger bass, even if that goes against the headroom graph, that's what I heard and also if you look at the driver impedence graph, it's different for the 595 and 555, different driver.

Jan 23, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #18 of 60
WOW.

I just took these things apart, removed the "SURROUND SOUND REFLECTOR" foam pieces of crap.

The sound stage widened, bass extended, yet is lighter and tighter. They sound allot more airy and transparent.

They don't have that farty, muddy bass and midrange anymore. The highs aren't sibilent like they used to be either.

<3<3, HD 595
biggrin.gif

graphCompare.php

Jan 24, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #21 of 60
ya..also doing the First day mods can reduce the Resale value.

HD555 are mainly Transitional headphones...soon u start discovering HD600, HD600 and other stuff and sell your HD555.

Apr 8, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #23 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I just took these things apart, removed the "SURROUND SOUND REFLECTOR" foam pieces of crap.

The sound stage widened, bass extended, yet is lighter and tighter. They sound allot more airy and transparent.

They don't have that farty, muddy bass and midrange anymore. The highs aren't sibilent like they used to be either.

O.K., this sounded like a Wayyy simple mod...so I had to try it...

...x2 on everything you noticed!
icon10.gif
I listened to a couple of recordings immediately before and after the mod---my impressions:

On my Prokofieff Sym. No.1, "Classical" (Chicago Symphony, James Levine, Deutsche Grammophon), what I noticed initially is more "immediacy." As if I moved from the front row to standing right by the conductor. I could swear the bassoon moved a foot or two stage left, perspective-wise. In this recording it seems I could hear the hall more than I remember hearing before. The sibilance is noticibly reduced, which is a blessing on all those high string/woodwind fortzando hits in the first and last movements.

On Beethoven's 9th (Chicago Symphony, Solti, London), I just listened to the first movement. This an older, darker recording, and it was still dark--but really much more enjoyable. Again, everything seems more "forward." Hearing a lot more of the hair against the bow from the double basses. While I noticed some improvement in bass definition on the Prokofieff, I noticed a much greater difference here. Actually noticing some key noise from the woodwinds--which I hadn't really noticed before.

Switching to something completely different, I cued up Dave and Don Grusin's "Sticks and Stones." This is a funky electronic jazz keyboard romp with a lot of digital drums and synth work. On the first track, "Pico Pico," there's a surprise--there's a reverb effect on the drums that again, I hadn't noticed before the mod. Seems to me this speaks to the negative effect the "surround sound" inserts have on transparency. Listening to the next couple tracks, bass is indeed leaner, and more detailed. On track 2, "Pico Pica," there's some inside percussion parts, timbale and closed high-hat syncopations, that are a lot clearer than they were before. The bluesy bass octaves in on track 9, "God Heaven," now have a slighty edgier quality to them--I think I'm hearing more overtones from the bass strings. It gives a much more funkier "growl" to the bass line as he walks it up the keyboard.

Oh, since gear comes and goes and signatures change, here's my setup:

FLAC-->ASIO-->E-Mu 1212m-->NAD 1020B Preamp-->HD 555 (now modded).

...I'm starting to wonder how long I can hold out before I do the "soundstage" mod.
wink_face.gif

Too much fun--ugh! It's 2:00 a.m. I better stop listening and get some sleep!

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #25 of 60
BTW, I haven't auditioned the mod on any video/movies yet.

I can see where, since the soundstage has moved up, that the "unmodded" 555's *may* be preferrable for movies. They obviously may be more forgiving of less than ideal or overly compressed audio (like what all the networks use for streaming their shows).

I'll have to do some more auditioning tonight.
wink_face.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #27 of 60
Now that's an interesting idea. Other industries do the same thing. Those CPU's in all your guys' computers--do you think they came off different assembly lines?

Nope, at least not the ones with the same architecture.

The difference between an PentAthlaMot 5500 and 5700 (Names changed to protect the innocent), is that they stress test a sample from a batch and where the test chip fails, minus a safety factor, is where that batch gets rated. This is one of the reasons you can overclock with a fairly high chance of success.

I could see where a headphone (or any manufacturer, for that matter), might do the same thing.

This might explain why there can be some differences of opinion on the same model from different people. Maybe our ears aren't all that different, after all!
rolleyes.gif

While we're talking about QC, I'm wondering if there may be more attention to driver-matching with the 595's as opposed to the 555's. Anybody know how headroom derives those response curves? Are they for one driver or both drivers averaged?

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #28 of 60
While taking apart my HD-280's for a mod, the driver got loose and I saw the front of it - across it was printed "HD 555 HD 595". I just bought a pair of HD 555's as well, and just did this mod (soundstage does seem to open up but I'm loosing some bass). Looking at the driver, it looks exactly like the ones in my HD-280.

So it looks like the HD 280/555/595 all share the same driver? Interesting

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #30 of 60
You kinda just pry them off with your fingers - try to get some fingers under one side of the pad and just pull up until you see some plastic revealed. Then try to slide your fingers around the whole pad. The earpad should come off as an entire piece with some plastic on the bottom of them.

To put them back on I applied some pressure on one side of the pads and worked my way around - it sort of snapped into place after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back