HD555 internals. Anyone want to help compare to HD595 (For future Mods)
Apr 13, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #32 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgleit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So it looks like the HD 280/555/595 all share the same driver? Interesting

Kinda makes you wonder what other 'phones they're putting this driver in, doesn't it?
rolleyes.gif

Apr 13, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #33 of 60
Quote:

While taking apart my HD-280's for a mod, the driver got loose and I saw the front of it - across it was printed "HD 555 HD 595". I just bought a pair of HD 555's as well, and just did this mod (soundstage does seem to open up but I'm loosing some bass). Looking at the driver, it looks exactly like the ones in my HD-280.

can you take a pic?

As for QC, ive heard thats why the ksc75's are so good for the price; a great driver with mediocre quality control, so every once in a while you'll get a bad set.

*edit* what about the hd515? can anyone confirm that they have different drivers?

Apr 13, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #34 of 60
Well how much it does to SQ I can't tell you as I havn't done mods on HD555's but there is differences technically between the stuffing and the paintjob on that and the HD595. Who's my source? - Well I talked with one of guys who if I recall right was the designer of the HD595 back when I was about to get one high-end model and was told 2009 was pretty sure for what became the HD 800 launch so I was looking for a lower end
wink.gif
I'm quite happy with the HD 595 my self but I only know less than a handfull of guys that have one too. Actualy when we are on the topic of places I've been in Sennheiser I would say its a crack shot between the HD 280 Pro and the HD 555 for most popular run of the mill headphone. Also HD 280 Pro driver is not the same at all - have a nice day
beerchug.gif

Apr 13, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #35 of 60
Quote:

While taking apart my HD-280's for a mod, the driver got loose and I saw the front of it - across it was printed "HD 555 HD 595". I just bought a pair of HD 555's as well, and just did this mod (soundstage does seem to open up but I'm loosing some bass). Looking at the driver, it looks exactly like the ones in my HD-280.

Looks like one more reason to buy the 555 over the 595. Besides this felt business, they're exactly the same on the inside.

May 17, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #39 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like one more reason to buy the 555 over the 595. Besides this felt business, they're exactly the same on the inside.

So the casing shape, driver angling, magnets etc. are the same too? That removable piece of felt is the only non-cosmetic difference?

I understand why manufacturers do this sort of thing but really what they're doing is making sure the model with cheaper materials also sounds (artifically) slightly worse. Still, at least it can be undone very easily if you don't want to pay for the more expensive materials.

This is like Porsche holding back the Cayman to protect the 911.

Edit: but maybe they've just taken the opportunity to tweak the 'atypical' Sennheiser sound on the HD595?

May 20, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #41 of 60
Quote:

here's a picture of my HD280's opened up:

1qom1k.jpg

wow...now that you mention it, i remember someone on this forum made woody cups for his 555's. no wonder it worked out so well...

May 20, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #42 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One question, how do you do the soundstage mod, where you take off the inner damping material found on the HD 555?

Here's the thread on the total soundstage mod:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hd555-h595-mod-227697/

All you need to do is pull the foam earcups, the inner protective screen, then unscrew the small screws on the inside baffle. Be *very* careful because it's possible to drop a screw in the driver unit--then you're hosed!

The foam is just attached with adhesive. It pulls right off and could be replaced later if you decide you want to resell the phones--unless you take the next step and cut out the inner grill, of course.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #43 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeNmAc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i remember someone on this forum made woody cups for his 555's. no wonder it worked out so well...

It was me
bigsmile_face.gif

May 21, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #44 of 60
Quote:

here's a picture of my HD280's opened up:

1qom1k.jpg

Actually my hd595 drivers haven't got the HD 555 595 and Sys, just a date (29.01.07 if I remember correctly). I just thought this is quite funny actually and possibly indicates something (or maybe not).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back