HD555 internals. Anyone want to help compare to HD595 (For future Mods)
Jan 20, 2009 at 7:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

mikebeauchamp

New Head-Fier
So I picked up a used pair of Sennheiser HD555's that had a small crack in the plastic. I took them apart to repair the crack with some CA glue.

Since I had the HD555's open, I figure I'd snap some pictures.. I'm hoping someone out there will open up a pair of HD595's so we can ACTUALLY see what the difference is in hopes of either coming up with mods to turn HD555's into HD595's. Or if there is no difference, so we can save people lots of money. I'd also be interested in seeing some pictures from the HD515's.

The pictures are here:

Index of /dump/hd555

I suppose the obvious difference could be drivers, but I've read that the drivers are exactly the same. Maybe we can confirm/disprove this? But I also can't picture a manufacturer making 3 different types of drivers that look EXACTLY the same, but some purposely made "Worse" to put into lower priced headphones. Especially considering it would probably cost a manufacturer exactly the same amount of money to make good drivers or not-as-good drivers.

Oh yeah, it's also worth noting that Sennheiser's "special internal Surround Reflector, which generates an extended spatial sound field" doesn't actually seem to exist. I think people think that it's the lump that's near the edge of the inside of the headphone, but that's only there because the plastic joint is behind that area... which is pretty obvious once you take them apart. Maybe the internal sound reflector is the piece of black foam that's badly glued onto the inside of the grated vent on the backs?

I'd also be curious if anyone has ever done a tear-down comparison between some of the Grado headphone models...

Mike

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #2 of 60
The drivers should be the same. I saw service sheets and there was "HD 555\595 driver" entry with price. "Hd 515 driver" was as separate entry with diffreent price though...

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #3 of 60
I was under the impression that HD555 and HD595 had physically different drivers... different size even.

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #4 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebeauchamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe the internal sound reflector is the piece of black foam that's badly glued onto the inside of the grated vent on the backs?

I believe it is. The 595 doesn't have that piece of foam.

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #5 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by ivant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe it is. The 595 doesn't have that piece of foam.

Weird! I wonder what the 555's sound like without this foam piece? I'm curious if that is the only difference...

Do you have a pair of HD595's? Could you take them apart and photograph them for me? (and also measure the diameter of the driver)

Mike

Jan 20, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #6 of 60
HD595

3211852233_94df0b3599_b.jpg

3212698756_26a95327be_b.jpg

3211853237_40d93facd5_b.jpg

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #8 of 60
this is hardcore pr0n.

btw..the E.A.R thingy is just angled placement of drivers...though i still dont understand that small lump.

this same idea has been revised and used in HD800 in a better way.

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #10 of 60
ivant, is that a stock HD595? I ask because the HD555 had a piece of foam glued to the inner grill. The magnet of the driver would sit on it or close to it.
Other than that, it looks EXACTLY the same.

Jan 20, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #12 of 60
Thanks for posting the internal shots of the HD595.

On first inspection, they look exactly the same. The only difference I can see is that my HD555's have the foam piece glued onto the inside of the back vents. To answer someone else's question... the back of the driver doesn't actually come in contact with this. It's just there blocking 60% of the rear vents...

Just comparing the pictures, the drivers look exactly the same. I can't figure out how to remove them from the baffle to check for any markings on them though to confirm this.

Maybe someone will actually be able to confirm that the HD555 and HD595 use the same drivers? Service manuals maybe.. replacement part numbers.. something.

My gut feeling is that these headphones are exactly the same. It'd cost a manufacturer more to produce NEARLY identical drivers, instead of just producing twice as many drivers that are exactly the same. The "internal sound reflector" is just stuck in the HD555's to make them sound a little ****tier.. and all the other differences are just chrome trim and snake oil.

Mike

Jan 21, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #14 of 60
I must rip the foam off my brothers hd 555.... lol..

judging by pic#4, the previous owner smoked heavily!

look at the yellow resin on the woofer part of the driver.

Jan 21, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #15 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must rip the foam off my brothers hd 555.... lol..

judging by pic#4, the previous owner smoked heavily!

look at the yellow resin on the woofer part of the driver.

The yellow on the driver is actually the magnet behind it, one of the two drivers' magnet has a way yellower metal.

Try them with the foam and without and see if you notice a difference. I'm guessing it will be damn subtle though, as the frequency graphs between the two headphones seem to be damn similar anyways (with the difference probably only being due to production and testing variation)

graphCompare.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back