HD 600 vs HD 650
Aug 16, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #286 of 441
I'm about to buy my HD600's!! I was wondering if you guys thin I need a cardas cable? I heard it can make the sound a little more full. I don't know if I actually need it because my receiver as a few options that does exactly that:

From Sony STR 6800 SD Summary: 

[size=medium]In 'low' position, the effect is similar to that of a loudness contour, but only the low end is boosted(a maximum of 8 1/2 dB @ 20hz with low volume settings, 8dB @ 50hz, 6db @ 100hz, and 3db @ 200hz). In the 'loudness' position, the effect is similar but a bit stronger(9 1/2 dB below 50hz, 8 1/4 dB @ 100hz, and 5 3/4 dB @ 200hz). [/size]

[size=medium]I'm listening to a vinyl right now and when I switched it to the loudness position the bass was overpowering. Most likely because my ATH-M50's don't need extra base. [/size]

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #287 of 441
I would listen using the stock cable for a while first, and then get the aftermarket cable only if you're not satisfied with the sound. Personally I find the HD600 to have plenty of bass impact when the track has lots of bass. I'm using the HD650 stock cable though, not sure if it sounds any different from the HD600 cable. It is thicker.

Aug 16, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #288 of 441
I would listen using the stock cable for a while first, and then get the aftermarket cable only if you're not satisfied with the sound. Personally I find the HD600 to have plenty of bass impact when the track has lots of bass. I'm using the HD650 stock cable though, not sure if it sounds any different from the HD600 cable. It is thicker.
The most common reason cables sound different is any impedance characteristics which change the frequency response in very small or large ways. This would defeat the purpose of you getting the hd600 over the hd650 if the cable makes them fuller. Some argue there is no difference in cables. I would argue that there "can" be a difference, but it is a matter of preference as the headphones weren't designed for those cables. So like it was said, i'd agree that you should listen for a while and only change things if you're not happy...

Aug 16, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #290 of 441
Actually, some have observed, including me, that the HD650s that have been sold in recent years sound different from pairs that were sold early in their release because Sennheiser supposedly revised the headphone (though they don't admit it) and it no longer carries that muddy bass and ultra recessed treble (I think it's that veil many are talking about). I bought a new pair from amazon two weeks back and it sounds more neutral and clearer than the pair I bought quite some time ago. I'm pairing it with a fairly dark sounding matrix m-stage amp and it has plenty of treble, in fact if I reduce the gain it can sound almost as bright as my akg k702s as bass loses some if its impact and weight and upper frequencies become more prominent, however if the headphone is driven with optimal gain settings then the bass and whole presentation becomes fuller but it does so without detrimental effects on other frequencies. It's not a flat sounding headphone like some monitors though but rather like a great conventional speaker with fantastic resolution across the frequency spectrum and textured and impactful bass, which makes you better feel the music and that's how actually Sennheiser markets this headphone - it's meant for consumers not studio work (that's the job of the HD600s).

Aug 16, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #292 of 441
I own both the 600 and 650. A cable upgrade made a + difference on the 600s but the stock cable sounded better on the 650s. IMO!!!  Now the difference between the two YES  they have  slightly different sound signatures definitely more bass on the 650s. Which is better is an individual perception  but make no mistake when properly amped ( I use a TTVJ FET Class A Amp or LYR ) these are two of the best sounding headphones out there. I will comment that for long listening sessions the 600s are the least fatiguing of any phone in my collection

Aug 16, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #294 of 441
Quote:
Honestly I'm thinking my receiver should be fine in driving my HD600's, but I'll always be wondering if it can sound even better with a dedicated headphone amp. 

Output impedance is important as the sennheiser's are somewhat sensitive to them compared to most over ear headphones.  The 1/8 rule is pretty good to go by.  The HD600 are 300 ohms if I remember correctly.  So your output impedance shouldn't be any higher than say 32 ohms.  Some home receivers are much higher than that.  In that case they won't necessarily sound "better", but the frequency response will change.  A portable amp like the jds labs c5 would give you extremely low (<2 ohm) output impedance and then you'd hear them the way they were intended.

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #295 of 441
Actually, some have observed, including me, that the HD650s that have been sold in recent years sound different from pairs that were sold early in their release because Sennheiser supposedly revised the headphone (though they don't admit it) and it no longer carries that muddy bass and ultra recessed treble (I think it's that veil many are talking about). I bought a new pair from amazon two weeks back and it sounds more neutral and clearer than the pair I bought quite some time ago. I'm pairing it with a fairly dark sounding matrix m-stage amp and it has plenty of treble, in fact if I reduce the gain it can sound almost as bright as my akg k702s as bass loses some if its impact and weight and upper frequencies become more prominent, however if the headphone is driven with optimal gain settings then the bass and whole presentation becomes fuller but it does so without detrimental effects on other frequencies. It's not a flat sounding headphone like some monitors though but rather like a great conventional speaker with fantastic resolution across the frequency spectrum and textured and impactful bass, which makes you better feel the music and that's how actually Sennheiser markets this headphone - it's meant for consumers not studio work (that's the job of the HD600s).

Oh come on. This sounds like hyperbole to me.

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #296 of 441
Quote:
Oh come on. This sounds like hyperbole to me.

Agreed. :p  They're both slightly different signatures of the same basic headphone.  Whether you can alter the signature with your amp is a side effect.  A good amp like the c5 will give it consistent sound at any volume.  Obviously really quiet volume will affect any headphone a certain amount.  They are designed for the listener, sure.  That doesn't mean they couldn't be used in studio.  I've seen less accurate sony headphones being used in professional studios...

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #297 of 441
Quote:

Agreed. :p  They're both slightly different signatures of the same basic headphone.  Whether you can alter the signature with your amp is a side effect.  A good amp like the c5 will give it consistent sound at any volume.  Obviously really quiet volume will affect any headphone a certain amount.  They are designed for the listener, sure.  That doesn't mean they couldn't be used in studio.  I've seen less accurate sony headphones being used in professional studios...

Ya, definitely. It kinda seemed like that person was trying to knock the 600's as a producer only headphone. Honestly though if accomplished producers are using them I would say that only further legitimizes them. 

Now I'm just waiting for my account to register on audiokarma because there's a thread or someone with a manual which can hopefully tell me how well it will power my 600's. 

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #299 of 441
Quote:
They aren't too hard to drive. I think you'll be ok with any amp that gives more power than a standard ipod type source. As long as the output impedance is pretty low they should sound good.

Like how low? I've sen the specs for impedance on my receiver (8ohms) but that has directly to do with the speaker inputs correct. Because that 8 ohm info is compiled with the output which says 80 watts. I t'm thinking there has to be something specific on headphone output, right? 

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #300 of 441
Now I'm not trying to describe everyone here that loves the HD650, but the people who think the 600 can't hold it's own against the HD650 aren't really making much sense. I mean if you study any graph or read any "legitimate" review it all tells you both are pretty much equal in performance one just has some tweaks and the other does not. I think some people automatically think just because it costs more means it must be better, but that's not always the case. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back