HD 600 vs HD 650
Aug 17, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #301 of 441
Quote:

Like how low?

The general rule of thumb most people follow is 1/8 the impedance of the earphones.  So the 300 ohm hd600 should have a source with an output impedance of no more than 37.5 roughly.  The lower the better.  Most portable amps are lower than that...

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #302 of 441
Quote:

The general rule of thumb most people follow is 1/8 the impedance of the earphones.  So the 300 ohm hd600 should have a source with an output impedance of no more than 37.5 roughly.  The lower the better.  Most portable amps are lower than that...

I've seen the specs for impedance on my receiver (8ohms) but that has directly to do with the speaker inputs correct? Because the 8hm is compiled with other "output info" like 80 watts. I'm thinking there has to be something specific on headphone output, right? 

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #303 of 441
Quote:
 I've seen the specs for impedance on my receiver (8ohms) but that has directly to do with the speaker inputs correct? Because the 8hm is compiled with other "output info" like 80 watts. I'm thinking there has to be something specific on headphone output, right? 

Yes.  You want the specific headphone output impedance not the speaker output.  Unfortunately, a lot of receiver manufacturers like Denon don't list the spec or even know it if you ask them. :-/  But you can check your manual.  Most portable devices have that spec.

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #304 of 441
Quote:

Yes.  You want the specific headphone output impedance not the speaker output.  Unfortunately, a lot of receiver manufacturers like Denon don't list the spec or even know it if you ask them. :-/  But you can check your manual.  Most portable devices have that spec.

Yep thought so. At the moment I'm trying to locate a manual online. I know someone on audio karma has one he sends people. Ok, stupid question: am I going to be completely blown away by how better the HD600's are compared to my ATH-M50's?? haha. I enjoy the audio technicas, but I know they're nothing special. They were just the first nice set of phones I ever heard and were recommended by a good friend. I've decided on these HD600's after I've done about a month thinking about what to get so I have pretty high expectations. 

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #305 of 441
Quote:
Yep thought so. At the moment I'm trying to locate a manual online. I know someone on audio karma has one he sends people. Ok, stupid question: am I going to be completely blown away by how better the HD600's are compared to my ATH-M50's?? haha. I enjoy the audio technicas, but I know they're nothing special. They were just the first nice set of phones I ever heard and were recommended by a good friend. I've decided on these HD600's after I've done about a month thinking about what to get so I have pretty high expectations. 

I came from the m50s as well.  They probably won't BLOW you away.  But once you get used to them you should be able to easily appreciate the better sound, less muddy bass, smooth highs and overall more air.

Aug 17, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #309 of 441
Quote:
I want to hear things the way they were intended to be heard. I'm just looking for more clarity and a greater immersion in the sound.

I think you'll get that from the HD600. The soundstage isn't huge but full and immersive, and imaging is accurate. I love mine 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #312 of 441
Quote:
Yeah accurate sound doesn't "blow you away" in the way that a coloured headphone does, e.g. one with huge deep bass or presence peaks to exaggerate details.

You make a very fine point here. I had a friend who got into hi-fi and his first pair of headphones were the dt990/250 pro after trying out many headphones (not the hd600s though; i didn't have that then). I have another friend who's going to purchase a pair of dt990/600 after comparing my first friend's dt990 and my hd600s. I guess people really do prefer colored headphones at first haha.

I used to be able to tolerate the dt990, but now after being so used to my hd600, the dt990 has way too much treble and bass for me to really enjoy. Strangely though, during my first head-fi meet, I was pretty blown away by how the demo UERMs sounded, even though they're the most neutral IEMs in production.

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #313 of 441
One of the deciding factors for me was that the HD650 was described as a more laid back headphone which kind of turned me off. What I love about vinyl is that with the right setup you can feel like your in the studio with the band and when the music really gets going you can experience sensory overload in the most beautiful way possible. I just hope I made the right decision. From what everyone has told me I'm under the impression that the 600 pairs better with vinyl. Even the guy at razor dog audio who prefers the 650 recommended the 600 after I told him what I'd be using them for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back