HD 25-1 II are superb.
Feb 16, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #61 of 78
While being a tad harsh in the highs, I've found these cans to be fairly neutral sounding, to my ears at least. Everything in it's right place, that is. The presentation is very upfront and direct, but that's the main reason I like these, honestly.
If your music is poorly mastered and over-compressed, the HD25s will let you know in a painful way. That's what they're meant to do.

Feb 16, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #62 of 78
I used HD25 just for few more hours. I want to really really get into music and enjoy HD25 but too bad I don't have that kind of luxury at this moment. Sucks for me. However, when I listen to HD25 whenever I have spare time, it just makes me appreciate music and the headphones all the more. I'm not feeling any break-in's at this moment, maybe it's because I don't listen to it too carefully or I don't have enought hours on it. I'm waiting for its potential to blossom even more.

Feb 17, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #63 of 78
I got the Essence STX and I can't believe this is such a great card. I am so floored by the sound, it has made the HD 25-1 II sound even more full and detailed and soundstage got bigger because STX has a wide soundstage using HD 25-1s it makes it about perfect for me. The instrument separation on STX is truly a marvel, everything is infact is an upgrade. So what they say is true about the STX- it is an amazing card. I changed stock OP amps to a pair of LM4562 and one LM6172 as it's supposed to be one of the best combos and I can see why, I have heard such sound once at a friend's house using HD650s and an expensive ext. DAC it is that good. I would compare the Revo 5.1 as STX's nephew, or something, they do have something in common, but STX is in a different league. Well worth the price. Usually you simply don't expect such big sound to come out of small card like that. So now I can recommend both the Essence STX/ST and HD 25-1 IIs.
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. I cannot compare STX to E-MU 1616m as it has a lot of OUTs and INs and is great for recording, but yeah just for stereo listening STX has the edge.   

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #64 of 78
Yeah I'm loving my Essence STX. I have no desire to upgrade my DAC anytime soon.
I think the Essence is pretty underrated on head-fi. Most people here assume all sound cards are crap.

Feb 17, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #65 of 78
Yes the stx is a good sounding soundcard for the price you get a lot of performance, but the sennheiser hd251-II are really impressive and the sound is just nice it is really good too my ears.

Feb 17, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #66 of 78
The funny things is with STX the headphones don't sound bright at all, it is pure precision if I may say it that way. I cannot stand bright sound and even if have to listen to it then only on low volumes. But with STX I can go high volume even on some of the bright recordings, it is still bright, but not painful the least.  On Revolution 5.1 it was painful and at the same time more flat too. 

Mar 2, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #67 of 78
Im gettimg a black hd25 soon, and im excited, thanks to this forum, im gonna settle wd original cables and just look for an amp/dac.. Any tips? I need somethimg portable that can probably reduce the harshness and widen the soundstage.. I hope I get help!

Also, for now, I only have ipods and a receiver"htr5650" to compliment my hd25-1 ii. Would they be enough while waiting for an amp/dac? Thanks!

Edit: how did you guys burn in your headphones?

Mar 6, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #68 of 78
Hd 25-1 are not harsh, not even the least if you listen to a nice source and nice recordings.  They do have pleasant highs however, very much so. I was listening to them all the time that's how I got them broken in. I compared them to HD595 and I must say HD 25-1 II are by far my favorites, it is quite different sounding, more real, much fulfilled and with a lot of punch and such an interesting bass. You'll love them, but they do benefit from amping it's when they are able to explode in your head.     

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #71 of 78
I'm glad I found this thread.  I wasn't sure if the Adidas edition offered anything more than aesthetics, for $80.  But it seems, sonically, that there is no difference.  Correct?

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #72 of 78
I listen primarily to electronic, classical, and some other odd songs, and I would confidently say the HD25's are the safest pair of headphones you can buy on the market. They're apparently very versatile and sound good with just about anything. But they're very punchy to me, and the highs really bother me after a while. Also, the bass can sometimes be unfulfilling if I'm not sitting in a quiet room. I'm mainly oriented towards good bass, or at least immersion in listening, and the lack of soundstage and reinforcing bass have always been an evident flaw in these. I run them through an Audio 2 DJ soundcard and an NAD amp, the latter being very nice to listen through, and the former being very rocking, but still there's a presence of grandeur that I would like to see. Of course, I'm asking for things I won't receive. The HD25's are absolutely wonderful headphones all around, and are used as such, seeing as how they're presently the empirical DJ headphones. I do DJ with them, and I can testify. Lots of other big names can, too. 

Recently I ordered a pair of AKG K240's to try to remedy this, which I will run through an NAD amp and EQ to my liking. I have yet to use them, but I was drawn in primarily by their neutrality and the fact that they seem to be good for drums. The HD25's are really rocking, I love listening with them, and I wouldn't trade them for anything, but they have their flaws. I would like to see a greater Mid presence. The emphatic highs are good for DJing, because dance music is commonly beatmatched on the backbeat. 

I recommend them to anyone. I don't think anyone will be disappointed, and I certainly wasn't, but there were particular aspects I sought that I just didn't find. There's simply a breakdown of energy somewhere in these headphones, and I can't tell you where it may be, maybe in the favor of higher frequencies. And that just doesn't exactly work for me. But please consider this to be a personal review. 

May 2, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #73 of 78
When I read all this I get so excited! Ordered a pair two days ago so hopefully they'll be here tomorrow. Had a thread earlier about changing from SS Siberia, but it died swiftly and thus my hunt took a break. Came across this when my research started again and I decided to go for something functional, indestructible pair of veteran headphones.
Hope I made the right choice!

May 2, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #74 of 78
I wonder how everybody stores their HD25s?  I ordered the Slappa DJ Headphone case hoping they work.  The intent is for the larger, foldable DJ phones.  But the dimensions seem to indicate they'll work.  I'll post pics when it arrives...

May 2, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #75 of 78

Quote:
I wonder how everybody stores their HD25s?  I ordered the Slappa DJ Headphone case hoping they work.  The intent is for the larger, foldable DJ phones.  But the dimensions seem to indicate they'll work.  I'll post pics when it arrives...

Mine get tossed around quite often. I just wrap the cord around and put them in my backpack when I go to school. When I get home I toss them on my desk, end table, or bed. They don't actually get stored because I use them often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back