HD 25-1 II are superb.
Feb 6, 2011 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

Guest5

100+ Head-Fier
I just got them yesterday, trying to burn them in. These sound so superb can't put into words exactly. They don't sound like usual senn headphones, instead they are very refined and forward with narrow soundstage just like the Etymotic er4p, BUT with a lot of punch and some sweet bass. Please someone shake me, I cannot believe these little headphones. I would humbly call it "surprise in a box". 

I found them perfect for electronic music and that's what I listen to most of the time. They don't sound aggressive at all(I was afraid they would judging by some reviews), not much congested so like usual closed cans, they are most definitely kind of warm to my ears, I would say better consistently balanced. They do actually sound a bit harsh and somewhat dry with velour I tried yesterday, couldn't stand more than an hour, my brain said it all. But I don't have much of a problem wearing pleather pads, they are alright. I assume that maybe velours are absorbing some of the sound compared to pleather that's why it sounds a bit harsh with them, well, to me they do. On big cans velours are better to absorb some of the sound because they bigger and usually open so that could balance the sound a bit. Just a thought.    

A couple of words for quality overall. They are very light and sturdy, solid to look at. They do infact look like headphones a sapper would use. 

Feb 6, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #2 of 78
What do you think about the clamping force? That was my biggest issue when using them. Felt like my head would quite literally turn from a melon to a banana. So not the most comfortable pair I've ever used.

Feb 6, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #3 of 78

Yesterday was quite uncomfortable, today is just right. They adjusted themselves a bit. In any case I think you can stretch them so they release a bit of pressure. What did you do, sell them? Too bad they didn't fit you, they are a masterpiece throughout. I am listening to all my music and it seems I've been missing details. Oh, the drive paired with precision on these things is over the top. Enjoying them a lot. Even some boring music before sounds interesting now. 
basshead.gif

Quote:
What do you think about the clamping force? That was my biggest issue when using them. Felt like my head would quite literally turn from a melon to a banana. So not the most comfortable pair I've ever used.

Feb 6, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #4 of 78

Quote:

Don't worry, that will go away. You might look into ordering velour-pads, although they damp the amazing kickbass a bit. 

Feb 6, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #5 of 78

Quote:

Yesterday was quite uncomfortable, today is just right. They adjusted themselves a bit. In any case I think you can stretch them so they release a bit of pressure. What did you do, sell them? Too bad they didn't fit you, they are a masterpiece throughout. I am listening to all my music and it seems I've been missing details. Oh, the drive paired with precision on these things is over the top. Enjoying them a lot. Even some boring music before sounds interesting now. 
basshead.gif

No, there are two pairs at the studio I frequent and I use them there occasionally. But I'm considering buying a pair for myself as well; it's between them, the ES7's and HFI 780's at the moment.

I'd love a pair of the blue Adidas specials, but from what I've heard only a small amount of them were made and all of them have been sold already :frowning2:

Feb 6, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #7 of 78

Quote:
Amazon still have.

Quote:
I'd love a pair of the blue Adidas specials, but from what I've heard only a small amount of them were made and all of them have been sold already :frowning2:

Third-party blue velour pads, including the headstrap-one, exist. It's "trendy" advertising-junk anyways 
cool.gif

Feb 6, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #8 of 78
The blue one looks sporty while the black one looks solid. I would buy a second blue pair for portable use and the black only for home use. Why I think this headphone is so unique: it's a blend of uniqueness everywhere you look at it. Etymotic Er4 sound quality in such a small package, add a lot of drive and precision, deep bass and it should say something. Teh build quality is another good feature. It would be ok if the sound was good at best, but it is in fact amazing, mind blowing. I was just listening to an ambient blend piece of music and I was totally blown away by the depth of the music, electronic but sounds just as it was designed in the studio, the vast airness of open cans is not there so it's a great thing for electronic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_NNBHqOWx4

Feb 6, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #9 of 78

Quote:
The blue one looks sporty while the black one looks solid. I would buy a second blue pair for portable use and the black only for home use. 

The adidas-thing costs (as far as I can see) 80 USD more, and that for looking marginally different? You, my friend, have too much money.

Edit: If you buy explicit cans for home use - why not check out some competitors instead of buying that design-model. Shure SRH840s perhaps. Buying the same pair twice seems kinda redundant. 

Feb 6, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #10 of 78

Quote:
Quote:
The blue one looks sporty while the black one looks solid. I would buy a second blue pair for portable use and the black only for home use. 

The adidas-thing costs (as far as I can see) 80 USD more, and that for looking marginally different? You, my friend, have too much money.

I didn't say I will, sorry for confusion. But if I get a better deal on them sometime I'll have to look into my wallet then and decide again. :) 

Feb 6, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #11 of 78

Quote:
The adidas-thing costs (as far as I can see) 80 USD more, and that for looking marginally different?

True that. Thomann has the HD-25's for 166€, the cheapest Adidas pair I could find was 219€ or 195£.. Which is quite a big increase in price just for looks. Heck, you can get a pair of K-701's for 199€ from Thomann.

I'd really love the blue HD's, but I don't know if I'd love them enough (over the regular black model) to justify the price.

Feb 6, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #12 of 78

Quote:
Quote:
The adidas-thing costs (as far as I can see) 80 USD more, and that for looking marginally different?

True that. Thomann has the HD-25's for 166€, the cheapest Adidas pair I could find was 219€ or 195£.. Which is quite a big increase in price just for looks. Heck, you can get a pair of K-701's for 199€ from Thomann.

I'd really love the blue HD's, but I don't know if I'd love them enough (over the regular black model) to justify the price.

This is exactly what you pay for, looks. Comparison with K701 is irrelevant imo, you have no chance of walking outside with them and not look like an alien, or something. The 25-1 got the blue because they are portable just as much as Hi-Fi. And I bet you don't buy expensive things like this everyday. I myself paid for them 200 Euro black one, not that expensive for what you get(I thought to myself), actually I think it is a bargain if you take into account everything.   

Feb 6, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #13 of 78

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This is exactly what you pay for, looks. Comparison with K701 is irrelevant imo, you have no chance of walking outside with them and not look like an alien, or something. The 25-1 got the blue because they are portable just as much as Hi-Fi. And I bet you don't buy expensive things like this everyday. I myself paid for them 200 Euro black one, not that expensive for what you get(I thought to myself), actually I think it is a bargain if you take into account everything.   

mate I've been looking to get one of these for a while, are you using an amp to drive these? I'm thinking of getting the adidas versions just because they look so much better and are only $30 more but another question, I've listened/had the IE7s, turbines TF10s, SF5 pros, M50's how would you say the HD25s compares to these and out of my list which is the most similar to the HD25 in terms of sound signature? thanks mate any reply would be appreciated.

Feb 6, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #14 of 78

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

mate I've been looking to get one of these for a while, are you using an amp to drive these? I'm thinking of getting the adidas versions just because they look so much better and are only $30 more but another question, I've listened/had the IE7s, turbines TF10s, SF5 pros, M50's how would you say the HD25s compares to these and out of my list which is the most similar to the HD25 in terms of sound signature? thanks mate any reply would be appreciated.

I don't got an amp, I am using it out of hp-out of M-Audio Revolution 5.1 which is said to be just about as good as ESI Juli@ sound quality wise, the only down side is that it is somewhat too flat and neutral, but also very detailed and that's good with these headphones because they can deliver details. They are driven easily, at %50 volume they sound loud and really meaty with super clear highs and lows, crystal mids.. the music is just pouring easily through them. The sound stage is very good with separation, but it's upfront closer to the listener. They lack the airy signature of open headphones keep that in mind, if there is air in music it was caught on in the studio recording, it's not emphasized. Simply put HD 25-1 II "reads" the recording as it is and you hear everything it's like you're reading it with your eyes. So as you can see I am very enthusiastic about these. After 20 hours of brake-in they sound even better, it gets closer to real perfection now. I've had Senn HD 600 and Etymotic er4s(sold the HD 600), that being said HD 25-1 II is the middle flavor between those two. That's all about sound, everything else about HD 25-1 II is just as great, looks, portability, weight, durability etc.  I am certain you will not be disappointed with them if you listen to electronic, rock and guitar. For instance I am listening to Govi right now, the guitar sounds very alive and natural, it doesn't get much better than this and that's when you go to a real concert. 
smily_headphones1.gif

If you get them don't forget to post some of your impressions. Also try burning them in before making real conclusions, they could sound a bit harsh out of the box, and velour pads seems to dry the sound up a bit as well. And don't get upset by the comfort in the first day of use. Today I've had them on my head for 6 hours almost continuously and counting, I would say these are very comfy, my head size is average.  

Feb 6, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #15 of 78
Hey, I'm looking for the exact same phones!
Where'd u get them? how much? what country? i found them decently priced on amazon.com used, but they wont ship to canada (the bastards!!!) nd amazon.ca doesnt have them :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back