HCSOB; HOT CUP SUMMER OF BURL // Starts today - 7/14/2023 // Schedule and Line-up inside!
Aug 5, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #61 of 77
I'm sure it will be nice, I've had many VOs in the past including a couple of silkwood ones.
At this point I'm experimenting with synergy options and maybe shifting the positions of the BE2 pads to get the presentation I want. This worked a lot for the Calderas I had.
Yea i owned several VOs also. Mostly I didnt like the combination of the harder woods with fast dynamic driver. That resulted in an overly dampened sonic presentation. Silk wood was the best i had for autition so far.
BE2 hybrids were my favourite but mostly to counter the problems I had with the hard wood. For the newly ordered VO I will try stock and BE2 lambskin pads first. No need to use hybrid pads to get smoother transients. Rosewood will have resonance in spades.
Very excited how the redwood will turn out, sonically and visually hehe.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #62 of 77
Yea i owned several VOs also. Mostly I didnt like the combination of the harder woods with fast dynamic driver. That resulted in an overly dampened sonic presentation. Silk wood was the best i had for autition so far.
BE2 hybrids were my favourite but mostly to counter the problems I had with the hard wood. For the newly ordered VO I will try stock and BE2 lambskin pads first. No need to use hybrid pads to get smoother transients. Rosewood will have resonance in spades.
Very excited how the redwood will turn out, sonically and visually hehe.

The BE2 perf lambskins seem to increase decay and improve the overall dynamics, it may sound weird but I have never tried to shift the pad positions on my VOs, perhaps there will be some great benefit to it.

I never factored in the hardness of wood in my VOs, I guess I do recall that harder woods (burled woods) seem to have a slightly overdampened effect now that you mention it. I don't have an OTL amp or a tube amp, but do you think the Violectric V222 might be a better fit for the VO? Has anyone tried this combination?

Aug 21, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #63 of 77
Anyone recieve their burled ZMFs yet????

Any eye candy????

Aug 21, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #64 of 77
Anyone recieve their burled ZMFs yet????

Any eye candy????
There's a handful in the last couple pages of the Atrium Closed and Caldera threads

Sep 1, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #65 of 77
Saw a ZMF ad proclaiming LAST CALL on Summer of Burl models is this weekend. (A public service announcement from your local trying-as-hard-as-he-can-to-not-buy-a-burl guy.)

Sep 1, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #66 of 77
Saw a ZMF ad proclaiming LAST CALL on Summer of Burl models is this weekend. (A public service announcement from your local trying-as-hard-as-he-can-to-not-buy-a-burl guy.)
You really should Not miss these Redwood Burl AC. Certainly my favorite closed back so far!

Sep 1, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #67 of 77
Sep 3, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #69 of 77
Hopefully this link works. I don’t know how to insert images yet but I wanted to share my brown mallee AC. Pic1

CI5KP9J.jpeg

Definitely a beautiful pair you have there!

Sep 4, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #70 of 77
Yes indeed today is the last day!

Then we are prepping for CanJam and will likely do a VC Stabilized and Resin run before ZMF November. We are still figuring out the exact logistics of ZMF November so no I don't know what will be available yet!
Hopefully this link works. I don’t know how to insert images yet but I wanted to share my brown mallee AC. Pic1
Brown Mallee Burl is awesome! And violently underappreciated!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Sep 18, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #72 of 77
I don't know how many are checking this thread now but in case anybody was still looking for real-world examples from the HCSoB, I posted my Red Mallee's over in the Caldera thread. Will add a few pics here as well:

DSCF2865.jpg

DSCF2863~2.jpg

Sep 29, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #74 of 77
Long time head-fi lurker, but thought I should post to celebrate this beauty 😍 I just got in my mail today.
Totally worth the 6wk wait.

PXL_20230929_122627936.jpg

Sep 29, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #75 of 77
Long time head-fi lurker, but thought I should post to celebrate this beauty 😍 I just got in my mail today.
Totally worth the 6wk wait.

PXL_20230929_122627936.jpg

Holy cow, the aged brass hardware looks better than I thought!

They found a way to turn it to a rustic grey.

Amazing set!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back