Have a pair of close cans, really looking for a pair of sub 400 USD open ones.
Jun 19, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #16 of 27
In your price range, the HD 600 are possible. And would probably be the pick if you want a balanced/neutral sound that doesn't get old after the first kiss. If you want screeching, in-your-face, harsh, aggressive treble, you could get the SR-325i. If you want a bit larger presentation with a fairly neutral balance, the K701 or Q701 are a good choice. I would regard the 701 as much better than their price implies (not that price tells you anything about anything). Might also look at the HD 598 as suggested, they're fairly balanced too. Finally, depending on your musical tastes, you might try tracking down a pair of Sony MDR-SA5000s; really world-class for what they are.

Jun 19, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:
I meant to ask, will my Fiio E10 suffice for driving all these headphones or will I need to invest in an E9 on top of it?

It'll be able to drive all these, but a special case is HD650 which is hugely amp-dependent in terms of sound quality - it will not shine with all inexpensive amps and even a lot of expensive amps. The other two will perform very well even with E10 though.

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #19 of 27
I'd suggest looking at the Shure 1440 as a possible choice. I haven't heard them but this thread has a excellent review of them:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/606734/a-shure-shootout-srh-940-vs-srh-1440-vs-srh-1840

I'd also suggest reading up on the ATH-W1000x but that is closed.

Personally I hated the Q701, but everyone is different. I actually could not keep them on for 1 hour plus without taking them off, the only headphone to do that to me so far. I don't remember what I felt since it was a long time ago but I just could not listen to them, it's probably fatigue from their sound signature I guess. Not to mention its headband ... it doesn't take a genius to make a comfortable one but they failed.

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:
In your price range, the HD 600 are possible. And would probably be the pick if you want a balanced/neutral sound that doesn't get old after the first kiss. If you want screeching, in-your-face, harsh, aggressive treble, you could get the SR-325i. If you want a bit larger presentation with a fairly neutral balance, the K701 or Q701 are a good choice. I would regard the 701 as much better than their price implies (not that price tells you anything about anything). Might also look at the HD 598 as suggested, they're fairly balanced too. Finally, depending on your musical tastes, you might try tracking down a pair of Sony MDR-SA5000s; really world-class for what they are.

All excellent cans for what they do--pick your ice cream flavor.  The only one I haven't heard is the Sony, but to would love do, based upon what I have read about it.

I would add that the Grado cousin, the Alessandro MS2, offers the Grado sound with less aggresive treble.  I hear it as more as an upgraded 225 than the 325 sound.

Jun 20, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

With minimal amping (E10 that you have), there are really just 2 commercial choices for you at $400 that beat all competitions hands down: Hifiman HE400 or Used Denon D5000 (although new D5000s are available for $75 over $400).

HE400s are open, D5000s are closed but not too isolating.

Both with fantastic bass, HE400's with better mids and smoother highs.

D5000 with a more substantial bass but which could be a bit overbearing in some genres of music, also better in terms of comfort and more light-weight, and are slightly more efficient (both can be driven easily with E10 though).

You will be satisfied with either cans, though.

Now, there also another route, that is getting modded T50RPs. A few head-fiers have got it nailed and make ones that are fantastic. However I personally wouldn't go straight into modded stuff until I've exhausted the commercial potentials; it's a different beast altogether 
biggrin.gif

The D5000 and HiFiMan are both excellent based on my experience with the D2000, 5000 & 7000 and some time with the upline HE500 (plus reading about its little brother).

Haven't heard the Fostex (which makes the Denon based on a much different design), but it appears to be favorite around here and elsewhere--especially when modded.  You can pick one up for less than $100 shipped.

Jun 20, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Personally I hated the Q701, but everyone is different. I actually could not keep them on for 1 hour plus without taking them off, the only headphone to do that to me so far. I don't remember what I felt since it was a long time ago but I just could not listen to them, it's probably fatigue from their sound signature I guess. Not to mention its headband ... it doesn't take a genius to make a comfortable one but they failed.

I find the Q701 to be one of most comfortable cans I own, but there are others who don't.  I don't know how the sound signature of the Q701 is fatiguing.  Most that don't care for how it sounds find it too laid back and lacking in bass boost.  It is revealing of badly recorded music and that could be a problem depending on what you feed it.

Jun 20, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

With minimal amping (E10 that you have), there are really just 2 commercial choices for you at $400 that beat all competitions hands down: Hifiman HE400 or Used Denon D5000 (although new D5000s are available for $75 over $400).

HE400s are open, D5000s are closed but not too isolating.

Both with fantastic bass, HE400's with better mids and smoother highs.

D5000 with a more substantial bass but which could be a bit overbearing in some genres of music, also better in terms of comfort and more light-weight, and are slightly more efficient (both can be driven easily with E10 though).

You will be satisfied with either cans, though.

Now, there also another route, that is getting modded T50RPs. A few head-fiers have got it nailed and make ones that are fantastic. However I personally wouldn't go straight into modded stuff until I've exhausted the commercial potentials; it's a different beast altogether 
biggrin.gif

the route i plan to go, hopefully i will be amazed
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #24 of 27
All excellent cans for what they do--pick your ice cream flavor.  The only one I haven't heard is the Sony, but to would love do, based upon what I have read about it.

The Sony are fairly quick and detailed, relatively bright, but not overly aggressive or harsh. They basically take the best half of the Grado sound, and leave the problem areas. Better sound-staging than many cans too (only bested by a few electrostats and the older MDR-F1 that I've personally tried). They're fantastic with acoustic and electronic music imho (I know, how conflicted), but with very bassy/muddy music they're too sterile (they still do a bang-up job, but they're just too polite to boom boom). Makes them absolute darlings for things like Metaform, Daft Punk, AFX, etc

I should also add that the SR-325 comment was tongue-in-cheek; I agree with the SR-225 as the ideal Grado suggestion. The 325 is just extremely aggressive imho. Probably about the most aggressive can that's still listenable for any length of time (comfort questions aside). I liked the 225s for lots of genres, including some bassier music, despite their bright/warm signature. They're more comfy too.

Jun 20, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #25 of 27
You didn't mention WHICH closed cans you have.  What type of music do you listen to?  What type of sound do you prefer...analytical?  Bassy?  If you like a bassy sound along with "musicality", especially if you like rock music, for $200 you can get Ultrasone HFI-2400.  They aren't talked about much....somewhat off the beaten path...but they sound excellent.  I haven't heard the HFI-2900, but from what I've read, they are twice as nice as the HFI-2400 at double the price ($400 or so).

Jun 20, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:
The Sony are fairly quick and detailed, relatively bright, but not overly aggressive or harsh. They basically take the best half of the Grado sound, and leave the problem areas. Better sound-staging than many cans too (only bested by a few electrostats and the older MDR-F1 that I've personally tried). They're fantastic with acoustic and electronic music imho (I know, how conflicted), but with very bassy/muddy music they're too sterile (they still do a bang-up job, but they're just too polite to boom boom). Makes them absolute darlings for things like Metaform, Daft Punk, AFX, etc
I should also add that the SR-325 comment was tongue-in-cheek; I agree with the SR-225 as the ideal Grado suggestion. The 325 is just extremely aggressive imho. Probably about the most aggressive can that's still listenable for any length of time (comfort questions aside). I liked the 225s for lots of genres, including some bassier music, despite their bright/warm signature. They're more comfy too.

Thanks--now I'm even more fired up to hear it!

With regard to the 325, I really love it when I want to rock my old baby boomer bones--especially with a hybrid or tube amp that tames its highs just a tad.

Jun 20, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #27 of 27
Thanks--now I'm even more fired up to hear it!

Sorry. :xf_eek:

With regard to the 325, I really love it when I want to rock my old baby boomer bones--especially with a hybrid or tube amp that tames its highs just a tad.

They certainly do rock! I look at the SR-325 like I look at cayenne pepper; it's delicious in moderation and when it's not used in every food and beverage item that you consume on a daily basis. The SR-225 are more like crack black; they're still not ideal on EVERYTHING, but even on pancakes it's not really a crime against the senses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back