Have a pair of close cans, really looking for a pair of sub 400 USD open ones.
Jun 16, 2012 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Knightwolf15

Head-Fier
I know grado and sennheiser are good. these would be exclusively used at a desk with my laptop and a Fiio E10 so they can need amping, in fact I'd prefer it (might as well use it if have it right? hahaha). Anyway any models you guys recommend with your experiences or general pros and cons would be fantastic. Thanks in advance guys 
beyersmile.png

Jun 16, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 27
You can get a very lightly used set of hd598's for about $180 here. It's a quality hp if not a little basslight. Really nice mids and treble and very nice sound stage. Love it or hate it looks. I thought it looked very nice...super super comfy. Easy to drive. 

gL!!

Jun 16, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 27
Quote:
You can get a very lightly used set of hd598's for about $180 here. It's a quality hp if not a little basslight. Really nice mids and treble and very nice sound stage. Love it or hate it looks. I thought it looked very nice...super super comfy. Easy to drive. 

gL!!

Do you have any experience with Grado's? and if so what model would sound good with generally Rock and Jazz music?

Jun 17, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:
Does anyone know anything about AKGs? Specifically the Quincy Jones 701 model? 

It's excellent--but very, very different from a Grado.  It has excellent sound stage, and clarity.  While the Grado is about getting in your face, the AKG is about letting you hear every piece of the music.  Neither is known for strong bass.  The bass is present in the AKG, but it is not the bass that anyone close to calling himself a basshead will find to their liking.

Jun 17, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #8 of 27
I have a pair of SRH840s. Is it a completely different style of sound reproduction? Or can you compare and say one is better than the other? I feel like because of the price difference alone the AKGs will blow my SRh840s out of the water lol

Jun 17, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:
I have a pair of SRH840s. Is it a completely different style of sound reproduction? Or can you compare and say one is better than the other? I feel like because of the price difference alone the AKGs will blow my SRh840s out of the water lol

They are both good cans that have different sound signatures.  The biggest difference is probably in the sound stage.  This not only gives a significantly increases the 3D sound but also pulls apart the musical voices, so you can each one more clearly and easily.  The 840 has the mid-bass hump and more slam.

I like both, but prefer the 701.  Others may find the sound of 701 to be too thin and ethereal, when compared to the 840.  In the end, reasonable minds and ears can and will differ.

Jun 17, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #10 of 27
All right man, thanks for the info can't wait to get the AKGs I'll be ordering them within the month once I sort out getting some extra cash (I'm a college student lol). I really fancy the White Quincy Jones ones!

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:
All right man, thanks for the info can't wait to get the AKGs I'll be ordering them within the month once I sort out getting some extra cash (I'm a college student lol). I really fancy the White Quincy Jones ones!

Let us know what you think of them after some ear time.

Jun 18, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

the white quincy jones does look nice, tell us what you think of them after your listening session. if you like a good amount of bass, a dt990 is a good choice, i know im enjoying mine
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

the white quincy jones does look nice, tell us what you think of them after your listening session. if you like a good amount of bass, a dt990 is a good choice, i know im enjoying mine
smily_headphones1.gif

So turns out I'm going to have a significantly larger sum of money by the end of the summer from my job at the summer camp I work at (they gave me a raise) looking at sub $400 cans what should I consider? I feel like I'm pretty much starting the thread over haha. 

Jun 19, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #14 of 27
So turns out I'm going to have a significantly larger sum of money by the end of the summer from my job at the summer camp I work at (they gave me a raise) looking at sub $400 cans what should I consider? I feel like I'm pretty much starting the thread over haha. 

Jun 19, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

With minimal amping (E10 that you have), there are really just 2 commercial choices for you at $400 that beat all competitions hands down: Hifiman HE400 or Used Denon D5000 (although new D5000s are available for $75 over $400).

HE400s are open, D5000s are closed but not too isolating.

Both with fantastic bass, HE400's with better mids and smoother highs.

D5000 with a more substantial bass but which could be a bit overbearing in some genres of music, also better in terms of comfort and more light-weight, and are slightly more efficient (both can be driven easily with E10 though).

You will be satisfied with either cans, though.

Now, there also another route, that is getting modded T50RPs. A few head-fiers have got it nailed and make ones that are fantastic. However I personally wouldn't go straight into modded stuff until I've exhausted the commercial potentials; it's a different beast altogether 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back