Has the fake ath-m50 arrived?
Nov 7, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #151 of 384

Quote:

It was through their website. Ended up being more like $150 including shipping to Australia (shipping prices were inflated!). Their service was pretty bad, but the price was easily the best I've seen -- and they eventually delivered. I could easily resell these locally for more than the original price plus shipping. 

Guess it doesn't hurt especially now that the Oz Dollar is stronger than the Greenback...

Nov 7, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #152 of 384
On eBay you have to be really careful.  Especially when something is advertised as new without a box.  Huge red flag there.  If it's opened, it's not new.  There was a seller a week or so ago that had his auction title as New M50's but when you read the fine print you found out they were fakes. 

Unless you're going to save a pretty decent amount of money, go buy the legit pair from someplace and know that they are real.  With the holidays coming up we should hopefully see some pretty good deals.

Nov 7, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #153 of 384
I got one here.  To be honest: I am expecting it to be fake. But when it's real I think it's a steal. These headphones cost up to 170 euro's over here. That's about 240 dollar. So you see, it's an enormous steal. I just had to check it out. Will let you know if it's real or not. ETA is the end of this month. We will see. <fingers crossed>

Nov 7, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #154 of 384
I don't understand the need to cut corners at this price range. Why not just pay a little bit extra and put authenticity beyond doubt? $100 to $150 from an authorized US dealer is still a great price for these headphones. I suspect the poster above just wasted $75.

In Australia the M50 ranges from $200 to $300. The local market is a joke.

Nov 7, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #155 of 384
Well with the refurbs you get free shipping to non-US countries aswell, and it is marked as a gift so you can skip some taxes.

Where I live, they cost $240 from the cheapest online store + $20 in shipping = $260.
Importing from a US authorized dealer means $150 + $35 shipping + 25% tax on both + $20 import handling fee = $251

With the refurbs marked as gift its $72 bottom line for the same sound quality, i.e. almost 3.5 times cheaper.

Nov 8, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #156 of 384

Quote:
Well with the refurbs you get free shipping to non-US countries aswell, and it is marked as a gift so you can skip some taxes.

Where I live, they cost $240 from the cheapest online store + $20 in shipping = $260.
Importing from a US authorized dealer means $150 + $35 shipping + 25% tax on both + $20 import handling fee = $251

With the refurbs marked as gift its $72 bottom line for the same sound quality, i.e. almost 3.5 times cheaper.

Except it's not really a refurb. It's a counterfeit.
I personally would not risk even $70 for a chance that they will sound exactly like the originals.
The sound is worth going the distance to ensure you have the right product.

Also, spending money for a chance that a seller is selling originals is indirectly supporting counterfeit production.
If people are buying fakes for the chance that they will be originals, that is profit for them.

We shouldn't give them any more reason to go the counterfeit route. I will only accept items in original boxes, refurbished or not.
Refurbished and open boxes are okay, as long as they come in the original box they are supposed to be packaged in.

Nov 9, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #157 of 384

Quote:

Except it's not really a refurb. It's a counterfeit.
I personally would not risk even $70 for a chance that they will sound exactly like the originals.
The sound is worth going the distance to ensure you have the right product.

Also, spending money for a chance that a seller is selling originals is indirectly supporting counterfeit production.
If people are buying fakes for the chance that they will be originals, that is profit for them.

We shouldn't give them any more reason to go the counterfeit route. I will only accept items in original boxes, refurbished or not.
Refurbished and open boxes are okay, as long as they come in the original box they are supposed to be packaged in.

I would. It's 75 bucks against the usual 90 to a 100 dollars? I did buy one. If it's a fake I will contact eBay to notify them of it and ofcourse try to get my money back since the description clearly stated it's a ATH-M50. So if it's not, it's a fraud. These things cost well over 200 dollars over here. So for a 'mere' 70 dollars I will just give it a shot. It's always a nice headphone for the kids to use on their Nintendo DS or something. A basic Sennheiser 201 costs 70 dollars over here.

Basically I am just as curious if it's real or not. But if it is, it's a nice deal for the lot of us. There's 240+ positive responses on this particular eBay seller. I don't think they are all oblivious to their fake headphones.

Nov 16, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #158 of 384
Received the ATH-M50 today. Pretty fast too. It looks an aweful lot like a real ATH-M50. Sounds like one too. 

I am ofcourse going to check every bolt on it but so far, so good. There even came a informational paper concerning some environmental stuff with it. English, dutch, german and french are all written without fault. That would be the first time ever for me to see something made in china with these languages written without flaw.

Is there anything really specific on the real ATH-M50's I can check these for (except the sound which sounds more than ok to my pretty spoiled ears)? 

Nov 27, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #159 of 384
Ok so ive had my M50's for around a year and a half. I got them off ebay for ~$90. Just curious if its even possible that mine are fake, since it seems to me that fakes are just now starting to pop up. Have any distinct signs of a fake been noticed yet? I want to verify that mine are authentic...

Dec 7, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #160 of 384

Quote:
I got a pair of genuine ATH-M50s from unique squared inc.  Thanks to HF member andtobis to confirm that the seller was selling legit merchandise, it was enough to give me the green light for a confident purchase.  FWIW, I ordered for an overseas shipment and it took 10 days to arrive here in Okinawa from Atlanta; 1 more additional day in customs.  It was marked with a value of US$32.66 on the customs forms (so no issues with tax) and was sent USPS Global Priority Mail.

http://myworld.ebay.com/unique_squared_inc/

That's where I got mine.  Same box too.  I guess we're good then. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #161 of 384

buffalowings said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
How do you know that the Headphones are fake?

1: it's from china 2: he's selling ten pairs 3: each one is sold as is, phones only, those reasons seriously raise questions on the validity of these phones because what ever the hell happened to all ten boxes and the accessories?

Thanks for your analysis! I got more deep understanding about this part, It helps me out of the problem, Nice writing.

Dec 24, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #163 of 384

Quote:
This is another fake ath-m50 in ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320625820846&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2840wt_989

I bought it because the seller said that he was from USA.
But When he gave me the SHIP ID, it was from HOng Kong.

Of course that I open a dispute in Paypal for that...

Be Carefully!

[size=small]
Interface:​
[/size]
[size=small]
USB​
[/size]
[size=small]
Connectivity:​
[/size]
[size=small]
Wireless​
[/size]
[size=small]
Mouse Type:​
[/size]
[size=small]
Optical​
[/size]

They even offer features than the real M50s don't offer, wow!

I personally got my ATH-M50 from ebay from the seller "asavings" for $103 USD + $10 shipping and they show no signs of counterfeit or refurb, new and perfectly package in box and shipped from the US. This was one of the cheapest available at the time, besides the $95 no box "refurbished" units. But now asavings is selling their ATH-M50 for $159.95.

Dec 30, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #165 of 384
Paid $265 New Zealand for mine today. Wish we had American pricing for them. Regardless though im still more than pleased with them for that price, they really are that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back