Has the fake ath-m50 arrived?
Oct 18, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #106 of 384
absolutely shocked at the level people are willing to go to today. this makes me severely distrust future purchases on ebay.

Oct 18, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #108 of 384
wow this thread has gotten totally insane. 

For whatever it's worth, I bought my M50 in 2010 and they do not have harsh or piercing treble at all.  I'm really sensitive to harshness, and cannot listen to the majority of headphones because of it, so if it was an issue, it would bother me.  The highs are a bit more pronounced than neutral, but still smooth. 

Oct 18, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #109 of 384
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=ATH-M50 is this website legit? I want to buy a pair of these headphones due to it has good bass and is equally well as gaming headphones. I'm no bass head but I do like some bass when listening to music and I know that the ad700 lack in the bass but are very good headphones for gaming. I think the ATH M50 will do me well in both music listening and gaming.  

Oct 18, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #110 of 384
i have not had a problem with buying from ebay.  I just make sure the price is not ridiculously lower than other prices for the same object, make sure it is not from asia, and make sure the person has 99% or more feedback. It is tough to find if it is safe, but most likely if they have good feedback they're good. can't comment on the soundprofessionals but the ebay seller looks legit

Oct 18, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #111 of 384
I just got a pair in the mail today. I got them from proaudiomart and I`m sure they are genuine. They look right, without any problems. I can`t really compare the sound since I`m coming from using bundled earbuds... Never again.

Oct 19, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #112 of 384

Quote:
any experiences from http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-ATHM50-Monitor-Headphones-NEW-/310232209183?pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting&hash=item483b47d71f#ht_2197wt_1134

???

legit? fake?

im buying from australia.. hoping to keep it lowest price possible (im a student with little income)

That's where I got mine from. Took about a week to get from NYC to Australia. My experience with this seller was really good. They responded quickly when I emailed them about my counterfeit concerns. I have no doubts my M50 is authentic.

Having said that, I'd still highly recommend people refer to this list and purchase from an authorized dealer to alleviate any concerns -

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/site/1e22eec97c088a8b/index.html

Oct 19, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #113 of 384
Hello BassThor,
there seems to be a problem with my right headshell. It plays quieter then the left one. I have tested it with a mono cd. It seems that the bass of the right driver is out. I open the headshell to look what's wrong. There i see three contacts in line. The left one and the right one is connected. The middle not, but there i can see a braze point. Can you please open your right headshell an tell me if there is a bridge from the middle to left or right contact?
On your image http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/1103/img0075jo.jpg i cannot identificate the details.

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #114 of 384

Quote:
i have not had a problem with buying from ebay.  I just make sure the price is not ridiculously lower than other prices for the same object, make sure it is not from asia, and make sure the person has 99% or more feedback. It is tough to find if it is safe, but most likely if they have good feedback they're good. can't comment on the soundprofessionals but the ebay seller looks legit

that's not a perfect measuring stick either.  some fakers have gotten wise to the reality that going too low tips people off and now charge just slightly lower than normal. 

also, feedback is often invalid because people leave feedback before they've had enough time to really get to know and closely examine their purchases.  after you leave feedback, you can't take it back.  I've taken to actually contacting people who've bought from a seller >6 months ago to find out what their experience was.  even then, it's not perfect. 

Basic thoughts:

-if a device doesn't come with all the parts, be very skeptical. 
-if the seller has a lot of them and they're all missing the same things, be skeptical.   
-If they're not in your country, be skeptical. 
-Google the name of the seller to find out if anyone's talking about them.

and lastly...

...if we're not talking about a high-ticket item, don't burden yourself with this kind of stress.  buy from an authorized dealer that you KNOW is selling them at a fair price.  You shouldn't spend hours trying to save $15-$20.  Your time is worth more than that.  Spend it more wisely.

to the other guy, The Sound Professionals have a website, store and phone number.  http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=ATH-M50&source=froogle

Call them up if you feel concerned.  If you don't feel better after trying to call them, something's probably wrong...but the fact that they have a very publicized phone number is a very good sign.

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #115 of 384
my m50s just arrived

ordered from proaudiomart

and
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/446066/safe-to-buy-from-ebay-proaudiomart
this thread eliminated my doubt

First time owner of the m50 and my package was the teal looking package.

got a coil cable. i am listenin/burnin right now.

i did, however, underestimated the size lol. They are the same size and "design" like the mdrv6. i remember choosing the mdrv6 over this back a year cause i was on a budget. You guys did not hype the m50s enough back then...
biggrin.gif

The cable too. i thought it was going to be the same size as the v6, but the cable is pretty small. i mean, compared to the mdrv6. i dont mind really.
but knowning this, i may have actually chosen the straight cable over the coil cable.
The reason i chose the coil cable on the mdrv6 was because i knew and read that it was a big cable so the coil helps for portability.

Damn, should have educated myself a little before purchasing them but i dont not have buyers remorse
L3000.gif

not a tiny bit

Oct 20, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #116 of 384

Quote:
my m50s just arrived

ordered from proaudiomart

and
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/446066/safe-to-buy-from-ebay-proaudiomart
this thread eliminated my doubt

First time owner of the m50 and my package was the teal looking package.

got a coil cable. i am listenin/burnin right now.

i did, however, underestimated the size lol. They are the same size and "design" like the mdrv6. i remember choosing the mdrv6 over this back a year cause i was on a budget. You guys did not hype the m50s enough back then...
biggrin.gif

The cable too. i thought it was going to be the same size as the v6, but the cable is pretty small. i mean, compared to the mdrv6. i dont mind really.
but knowning this, i may have actually chosen the straight cable over the coil cable.
The reason i chose the coil cable on the mdrv6 was because i knew and read that it was a big cable so the coil helps for portability.

Damn, should have educated myself a little before purchasing them but i dont not have buyers remorse
L3000.gif

not a tiny bit

Just a thought, I kinda regret not getting the coiled cable. I got mine from proaudiomart a while back but I only have maybe 5 hours on them max so they arnet even fully broke in. I would actually say I have more like two hours on them but I want to be conservative. The straight cable is just too long for me to carry around so I dont use them much. Ive never even fully untied the cable yet lol. Im not sure where you are located but perhaps a trade is in order. Just let me know if your interested.

Oct 20, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #117 of 384

Quote:
Just a thought, I kinda regret not getting the coiled cable. I got mine from proaudiomart a while back but I only have maybe 5 hours on them max so they arnet even fully broke in. I would actually say I have more like two hours on them but I want to be conservative. The straight cable is just too long for me to carry around so I dont use them much. Ive never even fully untied the cable yet lol. Im not sure where you are located but perhaps a trade is in order. Just let me know if your interested.

Maybe not since you seem to live in the other side of the country
The cable is not a big issue anyways.

You should however try and contact the seller maybe you can work something out.

I am liking them
The m50 are so sexy.
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #118 of 384

Quote:

Maybe not since you seem to live in the other side of the country
The cable is not a big issue anyways.

You should however try and contact the seller maybe you can work something out.

I am liking them
The m50 are so sexy.
biggrin.gif

Its all good my friend. I was more thinking of you. It sounded like you were really unhappy and I saw it as a chance to satisfy you possibly. Im so hooked on my allesandros these days which is another reason why I dont use the M50's much. I hope you enjoy the M50 for a long long time!

Oct 20, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #119 of 384
I got my 'fakes' today -- same reversed logo as Bass Thor's.

I'm pretty sure the sound sig is the same as an unquestioningly real pair, but I'm not impressed by the m50.
- Sound separation isn't great (though it borders on impressive with some tracks)
- Mids too forward
- Sound too warm
- Sound is very fatiguing. Listening while studying gives me a headache
Was basically hoping for a cleaner and more analytical sound

The lower end is definitely there, but it's not particularly tight. The overall sound is just too warm and not analytical enough to my liking. I'd try to EQ the mids out, but the Iphone 4 EQ sucks balls.

Everyone who has heard these 'fakes' or 'botched batch' (whatever they are) has attested to the genuinity of the SQ, so I'm starting to think that the sound sig of the m50 just doesn't agree with me. 

I've had these phones in use for about 10 hours, so hopefully it gets better from here. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back