Has the fake ath-m50 arrived?
Oct 17, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #91 of 384

Quote:
I got my headphones in '09. Is there really a 2010 model? 

yup the 2010 model does exist I have them.

proteinpig,

I don't see how my 2010 M50 can have piercing highs and I have turn up the volume on them all the way up before and still don't seem to see the high to be a problem (of course I don't normally listen to them this way).  I find my AD700, sony xb700, and sometime my es7 highs can be bothersome in some tracks that I play, but never the M50.  I'm pretty sure I have a legit one too, I bought mine from guitar center.  On the AD700 when I turn the volume up half way, the highs are already bothering me...dunno.  Maybe the M50's are made with inconsistency?  I seem to like the way how my M50 sounds.

Oct 17, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #92 of 384

Quote:

Again, there is no proof of a newer version. I feel the conclusion you've come to of an "inferior" version is misleading.

The Headfonia article certainly insinuates that something changed.  And there are plenty enough people here who feel that the newer ones might not sound as good as the older ones, and the brighter treble seems to be mentioned by a lot of them.

And if the variation Headfonia noticed is due to variation in production batches and not because there's a newer model, then what does that say for anyone who buys one now?  Roll the dice and hope we get a good sounding pair?  Great ...

Oct 17, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #93 of 384

Quote:
Just Wondering,

I received a pair of Ath-m50's (COILED CABLE) from ebay for ~$95 (Including Shipping). I cannot retrace the exact seller of the product, but the headphones were NOT from China, but either from Hong Kong or California. These headphones were bought around August, but what puzzles me is the color of the box.

From these videos and images :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPJbs4j-5sY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN2F3HrEKvk&feature=related

, the color of the box is BLUE with a flap covering half of the headphones.

The box in which I received my headphones are instead, TEAL, and did not have a flap covering the front of the box. It also did not have the top part of the box, the "Hanger-like"flap used to hang the product on shelves, etc..

I remember the product description on Ebay stating that the product has the 1 year Audio Technica Warranty. I received that in the box, the leather carrying bag, the adapter, and manuals / other printed documents.

The left side of the headphones, just around the swivel area, there is a small circular dot that sticks out just a little bit.

I'm personally really satisfied with the audio quality, headphone construction, cable durability, etc.. , but just the strange color of the box and random dot on only one side of the headphones that really puzzles me. I currently do not have a picture of the box, but I will update my post as soon as I find it.

Anyone else have similar issues with the Audio Technica ATH-M50 Headphones?

Quote:

Yes, do update with a picture. Although, mine are from an authorized dealer, my box doesn't look like the one pictured above either. I think the one you're describing are the newer ones. My box, the top lid folds up and the color is light blue-ish, the rest of the box white, and the dot on the swivel part, I think all m50's have that.

As long as you didn't buy it from a bulk dealer based in China which (Hong Kong is in China btw), I think you're fine.

Mine was made in Taiwan.

Quote:
You know, quite often these days the fakes are produced in the same factory as the originals. That is how they get them to be so authentic. They run the same designs out of hours making a few shortcuts. Either that or someone leaks all the design data to a competing factory.
I had a fake Jabra bluetooth headset off ebay. Confirmed fake by Jabra. The audio quality was almost indistinguishable from the authentic ones and included all the same features and presumably that means the same electronics. Also the box was indistinguishable apart from a tiny bit of a misalignment in the different inks used around the hologram (which was also done perfectly).
You can't trust anything except Authorised dealers really.

A small point of interest: the box pictured in the headphonia article has a teal top flap

Article: http://www.headfonia.com/test-burn-in-and-production-variations/
Image with box: http://static4.headfonia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/ath_m50_double.jpg

Perhaps a way to distinguish between old/new..

Oct 17, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #94 of 384

Quote:

A small point of interest: the box pictured in the headphonia article has a teal top flap

Article: http://www.headfonia.com/test-burn-in-and-production-variations/
Image with box: http://static4.headfonia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/ath_m50_double.jpg

Perhaps a way to distinguish between old/new..

I got mine in a box with teal top flap. It surely is from a new production line but I'm not very sure if the new line is different from the older productions.

Oct 18, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #95 of 384
Just noticed this little thing.. Wheeeeeeere is Wally?

#1 (Authentic)

#2 My assumed to be fakes.

Hint; compare the logo on left/right cup. Why is the one on the left side reverted..? Also "ATH-M50" is printed in the same color as "monitor headphone", not in white like the authentic ones..

Oct 18, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #97 of 384

Yeah my box also matches the one pictured in the Headfonia article. Teal with no front flap. Authentic beyond doubt. Coiled version with good balanced sound after burn in. Don't know how it compares to older M50s but I'm pretty content with the SQ, especially for the price!

Quote:

And if the variation Headfonia noticed is due to variation in production batches and not because there's a newer model, then what does that say for anyone who buys one now?  Roll the dice and hope we get a good sounding pair?  Great ...

KB, if you're still awaiting your M50 I can somewhat understand your anxiety. I hope your concerns are alleviated after you spend time with it. I suspect the comments regarding shrill highs (contrary to my own findings, and the majority of impressions I've read) may be more due to some coloration in that person's chain, something that would be more apparent than the minuscule differences between production batches. My Audio-GD Fun with Earth opa is widely considered here as a neutral amp/dac and I'm sure that has a significant bearing on my findings. The Moon opa which I also own apparently has a more tube like sound. I think I may have had Moon installed when I first received my M50 but promptly changed to Earth.

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #104 of 384

[size=medium]
I just came here to say I bought the refurbished possibly fake m50s and I love the sound quality I think these are still worth the $70+ I paid for them.
A $70 headphones I bought from walmart are laughable compared to my "m50".
[/size]

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #105 of 384

That's the problem with Audio-Technica and Sony.

For Sony products, I ONLY buy them in sony stores, well at least since I got ripped off last time.

For Audio-Technica I don't know of any official stores, but I went to an official retailer once (they were listed on audio-technicas website) and that official retailer had a demo unit of ESW9's lying around, so I gave them a look and listen and they were fake, so I concluded everything else in the store was fake too and left.  I hate fake stuff and feel sorry for people that get ripped off.  Ebay users is one thing, and I can understand individuals trying to make a few dollars, but whenever I notice a company/retailer selling anything fake I put them in my mental blacklist and never use them again for anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back